CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Announcing #CNC2021 β€” CodeNewbie Challenge 2021 ⭐
Saron Yitbarek for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

Announcing #CNC2021 β€” CodeNewbie Challenge 2021 ⭐

Think for a moment about the type of coder you want to be. What does it feel like to have a firmer sense of direction? What skills does this more focused, experienced version of you have under their belt?

How does it feel to have worked hard to level yourself up?

Goals. We all have them β€” and to achieve your goals, you have to challenge yourself to take lots of small steps, document your journey, and lean on others for support. That's where the CodeNewbie Challenge comes in.

➑️ Register for the CodeNewbie Challenge

Introducing #CNC2021

Today, we're excited to share that we’re bringing back the beloved CodeNewbie Challenge with more community support than ever before and a new collection of up-to-date resources.

For those who aren't familiar, the CodeNewbie Challenge is a 5-week beginner-friendly email course built by and for the CodeNewbie Community. We've changed some things since the last time we offered this challenge, but the goals and inspiration remain the same.

Here's how #CNC2021 will work...

1. Pick your challenge

Start Coding The hardest part about learning to code is knowing where to start. This challenge will help you create and tackle a personal coding curriculum that makes sense for you.

Code More Coding takes a lot of time, energy, and brainpower β€” it's easy to find yourself at a standstill when life is throwing a lot at you. This challenge will help you focus and make real progress with your coding in a way that's sustainable.

Write More Coders everywhere always say, "I really need to start writing about code!" And they’re right, especially for our early-career developers. We need to hear from you too! The "Write More" challenge will give you the tools you need to start a backlog of awesome writing to share with the world.

Get a Job We've all faced the daunting challenge of finding work. But when you're looking for one of your first jobs in software development, the process can feel extra overwhelming and lonely. This challenge will give you the small, helpful steps that will set you up for finding, interviewing at, and starting an awesome new job.

2. Check your email

All of your missions will be delivered straight to your inbox. Just keep an eye on your inbox throughout the challenge and follow along!

3. Complete your assignments

Each week has a different assignment but the way you turn them in is the same. We'll provide a link in each mission email to a different submission thread. You can also follow along with other participants in these threads β€” you'll occasionally be asked to leave them feedback, too.

4. Lean on your community

If you need motivation or an extra set of eyes on your work, you can find others participating in your challenge via the weekly assignment threads. Be sure to follow other CodeNewbies! If you have a mutual following, champion one another via direct message!

Each challenge has a dedicated help thread. Once you sign up, we'll share how to access yours. This is how you'll ask the CodeNewbie team any clarifying questions about the challenge.

You can also turn to DEV for additional motivation.

5. Work towards your goals

Our missions are designed to break up the big goals of starting to code, coding more, writing more, and getting a job into small, easily digestible steps. You'll end your week more confident that you've taken significant action toward what you want to achieve.

6. Reflect on your experience

At the end of each of the four challenges, you'll be posting a reflection of your experience right here on CodeNewbie Community. You'll walk away with a document of your growth over the previous 5 weeks.

Common questions

Where will the challenge take place?

Several places! Your weekly assignments will be delivered right to your email inbox (sometimes spread across multiple emails). In those emails, you'll find articles to read on DEV and right here on CodeNewbie Community. You'll also be asked to fill out worksheets in the form of Google docs to guide your learning. For each mission, you'll submit your assignments by commenting on dedicated CodeNewbie Community threads.

How long is #CNC2021?

Each CodeNewbie Challenge is five weeks long. However, you won't be limited to a Monday-Friday schedule. Your challenge officially begins the day after you register.

What if I have more than one goal?

We love that! While you can't swap challenges once you register for one, you can always sign up for multiple challenges. Just expect to be receiving a LOT of emails from us πŸ˜…

What is the workload like?

It varies per-challenge and per-mission! Sometimes, there's more than one mission in a given week, but we try to balance out the workload in that case. Very generally, you can expect to spend around three hours per week on your assignments and reading material.

If you ever need to take a break, feel free! We'll still send you the rest of your missions as scheduled, but you can revisit them when it’s best for you.

How do I submit my assignments?

In each email we send you, we'll share a link for the homework submission thread. Most frequently, you'll be asked to answer a prompt in the form of a comment in these threads but sometimes you'll be posting links to projects, too. Occasionally, your homework for a particular mission is to look over other participant responses and leave some friendly feedback.

How do I complete the #CNC2021?

To officially complete #CNC2021, you'll be asked to write a post using a template we'll provide you. Once we see that post and check for your assignments, we'll consider your challenge complete! This post is also how we will be awarding your shiny completion badge.

How long will this be offered?

We'll be running this challenge throughout the rest of this year. Once you complete one challenge, feel free to register for another. If you have a ton on your plate right now, join us when it makes sense for you!

I hope you'll join us for #CNC2021! Let's get to work πŸ’š

➑️ Register

Once you sign up, spread the news on Twitter using the hashtag #CNC2021 and our handle: @CodeNewbies.

Top comments (22)

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

So pumped to follow along with everyone's journey here on CodeNewbie Community. Let's do this πŸ’ͺ

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Signed up ! And ready to start on the "Write More" objective ! πŸ’ͺ πŸ˜„
I've currently been currently blogging on and off for a little bit over a year now, and, I want to take it to the next level, transforming into an habit and connecting with people in here, with the same interest in programming than myself 😊

Collapse

diegopaula profile image
Diego Paula

I just got to know this community, and i look forward to participating in this challenge. Maybe this is exactly what i need to improve my coding skills.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰

Collapse

balapriya profile image
Bala Priya

Looking forward to the "Write More" challenge.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Woo hoo! Welcome!

Collapse

cuteek profile image
Cuteek

So excited for this! It came along at the perfect time.

Collapse

thomasbnt profile image
Thomas Bnt

yaaay πŸ’šπŸ’ͺ

Collapse

shukla007 profile image
Abhishek Shukla

I am so much excited to start this journey here in codeNewBie and also very much excited about meeting new people here.

Collapse

nessi_codes profile image
Julianne Vela

Hey y'all! This is a really awesome initiative! I just signed up for the "Write More" challenge because I've been really wanting to start writing about my experiences in programming to help give back to the tech community - but I also really struggle with executive functioning such as planning and organization so I haven't been able to get started yet. Hoping that this challenge will give me the motivation and push to finally start my writing journey!

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Love this! Welcome, Jullianne!

Collapse

michelleann815 profile image
Michelle Ann Terrazas

Oh hey!! This is an awesome challenge! πŸ‘€
I'm currently busy working on a team project, so I don't know if I'll have time to do this as well at the same time. When my project is over in a month or so then I think I'll give this a go to get more coding experience.

Collapse

abigailontech profile image
Abi

Signed up for the Code More challenge! Can't wait to get started!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Signed up for the "Write More" Challenge, hope that my writing efforts will help anyone to understand and think more about how and why we code πŸ˜„

Collapse

ordinari_john profile image
Amaechi John

Let the show begin

Collapse

gingercatjayne profile image
Jayne

OK, when does the first email arrive?

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi there! Sorry for the delayed response! You should receive the first official mission email one day after signing up. You'll receive some "pre-mission" work immediately after signing up :)

Collapse

gingercatjayne profile image
Jayne

Hi Gracie, Thank you. I am afraid I haven't started yet due to a bereavement in our family (the loss of our lovely 19 year old cat). If it's ok, I will start the first mission tomorrow? Jayne

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Yay! So excited for you, Elena!

Collapse

cguttweb profile image
Chloe • Edited

I signed up having got the email yesterday looking forward to it