CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [On-Demand Talk] Next-Gen Inclusivity: How Gen Z Can Make Real Change in Tech
haimantika mitra for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

[On-Demand Talk] Next-Gen Inclusivity: How Gen Z Can Make Real Change in Tech

About this talk

We are in the 21st century, the era of web3, the Metaverse, and the tech world bringing imagination to real life. With so much advancement, why are we still not able to make the tech industry a safe heaven for EVERYONE? What are the steps that we can take to make this industry better?

I believe that if all of us can take a step forward and be the change we wish to see in technology, an ethical movement will be ushered in.

In this talk we will see how the change can be brought by simple yet effective ways.

Talk Recording

Slides

🌈 Comment below and ask me questions — I might just answer them during my live speaker discussion!

About me

Hi! I'm Haimantika Mitra — Developer Advocate at Appwrite. I'm also a community builder and a product of community myself as I'm heavily involved in learning, sharing, and building for and with various communities myself! I believe that technology is for everyone. So far, I've helped over 1000 students in the BAME community with mentoring and improving their technical skills. I'm also a huge advocate of women in tech, and have helped women early in their careers find a way to the field.

This on-demand talk is part of CodeLand 2022 — a virtual conference brought to you by CodeNewbie & DEV on June 16 & 17, 2022.

Top comments (22)

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

Recruiting processes in tech can be a big barrier for early-career devs, especially for young first-timers who just graduated and want to break into tech. Many processes are outdated, irrelevant for the 21st century or (some) older people in tech can be gatekeepers. How can young devs create change in this aspect?

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Here's a story about a software developer from India (15+years of experience) - who not only helped frontend engineers get a job, but also advocated the change in the type of interviews (having role specific interviews only) and now many companies have accepted the change.

What I wanted to say from the story is - only one person speaking up can bring the change!

Alternatively, you can always politely talk with the HR of the particular company about the things you don't like and would appreciate change. If that does not work, you can reach out to someone on LinkedIn of the same company expressing your grievances and hoping they would take some action. If not, you can always call out such actions!

Also, I highly recommend the book "Whistle Blower" by Susan Fowler, her one blogpost brought massive changes and broke the internet!

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

That's really helpful advice! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Thread Thread

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

It is my pleasure!

Collapse

aronaman profile image
Aron Aman

Great question mate.

Collapse

phaveey profile image
Phaveey

Thanks so much for this wealth of knowledge.

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of an amazing community myself... "She Code Africa".
What is your advice though, on how to get more involved in Software communities?

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Such communities are a blessing in disguise!
My advice would be:

1. Be updated with what's going on in the community
  2. Participate in the events organized by them
  3. Sign up for collaboration
  4. Chat with other members of the community - learn from them
  5. Grow your network
Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

Thank you so much for presenting, Haimantika. It’s clear that you practice what you preach and inclusion isn’t just a talking point but a personal goal for you. CodeLand’s commitment to inclusivity is also evident in the diversity of the speakers as well as the timely and accurate captions.

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Thank you Anya for your kind words! :)

Collapse

srivera12 profile image
Sarah Rivera

Thanks for the talk!

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Thank you for tuning in!

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Great point that Gen-Z is so literate when it comes to social media and that this is a huge advantage for us when it comes to advocating for change. That said, social media really burns me out sometimes. 🔥

Do you think it's really important for socially-conscious software developers to have a presence on social media? I'd honestly like to delete all of my accounts if I can 😅, but I worry that I won't be able to affect change or be considered for jobs without a Twitter.

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Everybody has their own way to success - if social media is too much for you, you must have other things that you are great at! Have your tried writing a blog? Or maybe recording a tutorial?

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Really appreciate your thoughtful reply! I totally agree with you that there are many ways to success.

To be honest, I am actually not a developer, but a community manager at DEV. I should've provided a bit better context! 😅

I do write a blog posts on dev.to and it's super rewarding. But I also often find that after a full day of interacting there I'm just a bit spent on other social media and so don't participate as frequently. I feel guilty about it, but after I'm off the clock, I just really like to get away from the screens.

Collapse

ugo profile image
Ozoeze Ugo

I agree. Social media can be a lot too for me.

Collapse

devencourt profile image
brian bethencourt

I feel overwhelmed at times by how many things need to be changed in our society. Do you have any advice for this Gen-Z developer for prioritizing what causes to get involved in when there are about 50 thousand things I care about?

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

See what effects you the most! Make a priority list and then take one at a time!

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Hi Haimantika! Thanks for your talk. There are lots of older industries that are interested in recruiting generation Z tech workers to help them grow their careers. They know making an impact on the company culture in terms of inclusivity is an important factor. No one wants to work for at a cringe company, dept, or boss. If you were to speak at a conference of HR executives, where would you direct them to start making sweeping changes? Thank you!

Collapse

haimantika profile image
haimantika mitra

Primarily in their hiring process. Most companies where people don't want to join either have a tedious recruiting process or unrealistic demands in the job description. Next I would say, employee treatment, onboarding process also makes a lot of difference. People want to be in the friendly neighbourhood and not somewhere where they feel left out!

This is a very interesting question, we should chat more about this!

Collapse

johnklein94 profile image
Johnklein94 • Edited

Thank you very much for your talk. I highly recommend trying your luck at vulkan vegas 5vulkanvegas.com/ro. Registration is easy, the bonuses are cannon, the game is fantastic.

Collapse

peacesandy profile image
Peace Sandy

I think this talk is particularly for me, I belong to @Ingressiveforgood , please can you share how I can actively participate. Also, how can I pass recruiting process, they are always so many requirements

Collapse

peacesandy profile image
Peace Sandy

Hi Haimankita, thank you very much for this , I have a problem of Collaborating and networking, please do you mind sharing tips on how to overcome this