CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Start Coding" Help Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Start Coding" Help Thread

This is your place to ask general challenge-related questions about the "Start Coding" track of the 2021 CodeNewbie Challenge.

Leave your questions below as a comment and our organizers will get back to you ASAP 💚

Reminder: All of the assignments for each mission are sent out via email when you sign up for a challenge. Remember to check your spam folder if you didn't receive your first mission — and please add hey@codenewbie.org to your contacts list!

What this thread is for...

• General questions about the challenge overall (i.e. "How long is this challenge?")
  • Mission-specific questions (i.e. "I find mission [X] mission confusing because XYZ. Can you help?")
  • Helping one another out. If you know the answer to something someone else is asking, feel free to answer them!

This thread is not for technical questions about coding. For those, you'll want to create a post and include the #help tag. Here is a template for your help posts to guide you further :)

Please stay on topic and respectful of one another 💚

Oldest comments (23)

Collapse

ordinari_john profile image
Amaechi John

Hello,
I will like to honestly appreciate the opportunity that the CodeNewbie team is giving to us beginners to find a path in the tech industry.
I would like to ask if there is any mapped out curriculum for follow while learning on the CodeNewbie platform?

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi @ordinari_john ! Welcome to #CNC2021! I'm so excited that you decided to join this challenge 🎉

Really good question. In this challenge, we don't map out a coding curriculum for you exactly. Instead, we provide a primer on the basics (languages, frameworks, etc) and support you in creating your own curriculum based on a number of different factors. We point you to a handful of popular free and lower-cost resources to help shape your curriculum, too, and then help you map out several coding sessions.

Let us know if you have any other questions or if you want any clarification about the above 🙂

Collapse

diegopaula profile image
Diego Paula

I did not receive the mission 2 from the start coding challenge and the code more challenge. Can somebody send me these two emails?

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

These messages have not yet been sent to the first round of people who registered — they will get their missions later today! You can expect them to arrive two full weeks from the date you signed up :)

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

If you've registered, you will get the messages. Mission 2 emails will be sent out to people two full weeks plus one day after the day they registered. You will receive it soon!

Collapse

edwardpraveen89 profile image
Edward Praveen

Hello,

Currently learning Python for Machine Learning (ML) development. I am interested in implementing ML in Web & Mobile apps. As python has inbuilt libraries for ML, I have started to learn. For Mission 2, CodeNewbie team has asked to select a language. Should I stick with python only or learn parallely another language (Swift/React-Native) for mobile development and how ML is implemented in it. Kindly suggest.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi Edward! Sorry for the delay! This is actually a great question to ask with a #help post here on CodeNewbie Community! #help posts are great for technical questions like the one you have

You can use this template to guide you through setting up your post — but keep in mind that it can be really basic and short. You mainly just need your question in the title and the body of the post plus the #help tag. Thanks!

Collapse

shariifah profile image
Sherifah

Hello, I have just joined the newbie coding challenge. And I was sent the mission 1 yesterday,which I have attended to. But I have been expecting the mission 2 today and I haven't been sent any mail.
Hope that is normal???😔😔😔

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi! Missions are spaced about 7 days apart in the Start Coding Challenge :)

Collapse

sabineemden profile image
Sabine Emden (she/her)

Was the Reality Check Worksheet part of the Start Coding Challenge before Mission 3? The email for the third mission seems to suggest that, and if it was, I missed it.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi Sabine! Sorry for any confusion! We've reworded this to be more clear in the future. Mission 3 will be the first time you should see this worksheet :) You didn't miss anything.

Collapse

wulingoh profile image
Wulingoh

Hi there,
I submitted my post for mission 2 twice but i could not see my post when I reload the page. Any ideas why?

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

I see both your comments on the page: here and here - you did everything right!

Collapse

wulingoh profile image
Wulingoh

Thanks Ella. I thought there is a bug on my post. ;)

Collapse

sobrinap profile image
ScoobyP • Edited

I didn’t receive the next assignment. I only received the first one last Wednesday. I checked my spam folder also. #help

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hello! According to our records. you will be receiving Mission 2 later today (in a little over 4 hours, to be exact). Emails for this challenge are spaced about one week apart so you're all set up properly :)

Collapse

oyindoubra profile image
oyindoubra

Hello
12 days after and i haven't received the new mission
Am i doing something wrong ??

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hello! Sorry to hear about the trouble!

It looks like you received Mission 1 on April 30th. 7 days later, you were sent Mission 2 (on May 7th). That's around 14 days total that you've been receiving challenges on schedule and you should be receiving Mission 3 on May 14. Have you checked your spam folder for Mission 2?

Collapse

oyindoubra profile image
oyindoubra

Thank you very much ! It's not in spam ,but i found it now .
Thanks for your help .
Very much appreciated

Collapse

yayacodes profile image
yayacodes

I am so glad I stumbled upon CodeNewbie :)

Collapse

iggyiccy profile image
Iggy

Thank teams! I started learning how to code systematically last few months. There are so many fields such as web development, back-end api development, data analysis, machine learning, AI, blockchain. I will say I really want to learn all of it (on a surface level)! But I have mixed feeling because of the works required to learn all these. What should I do?