CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 2 Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 2 Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 2 email, post what you did during your work session in this thread. Include a screenshot of your planning board/calendar/journal. Be sure to leave an encouraging comment or suggestion for other folks, too. Congrats on completing Mission 2!

Reminder Your weekly assignment does not need to include sharing a link to your worksheet doc. That's for your personal use! Instead, please respond to the homework prompt in full below.

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Latest comments (20)

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Weekly Goals:
1st working week - Chapter 4 Problems
2nd working week - Chapter 5 Problems
3rd working week - Chapter 6 Problems

Session 1
Date: 5/2/2021
Hours worked: 1
Work Session Task List:
Read Chapter 4 - status: Done
Chapter 4 Problem 1 - status: Done
Chapter 4 Problem 2 - status: Done

Lessons Learned:
What helped you be productive?
Setting aside the time to focus for an hour.
What made it hard to be productive?
I should have looked up my error sooner. I lost a little motivation.
What took more time than you expected?
Working through the error.
Less time than you expected?
Figuring out the solution.
What might you try to do differently in your next work session?
Look up the error I'm getting to save time.
Does this week’s goal need to be adjusted?
Yes, I completed more problems.

Session 2
Date: 5/7/2021
Hours worked: 1
Work Session Task List:
Chapter 4 Problem 3 - status: Done
Chapter 4 Problem 4 - status: Done

Lessons Learned:
What helped you be productive?
I was very focused on solving the problem so as I got error messages, I was motivated to fix them and continue working.
What made it hard to be productive?
Not much this time, I was not distracted.
What took more time than you expected?
Solving why I was getting the sorry message despite having code in the loop, turns out I needed to make an extra step for it.
What took less time than you expected?
Solving problem 4. I was able to figure it out relatively quickly.
What might you try to do differently in your next work session?
Think more through the problem before coding.
Do I need to adjust this week’s goal?
This week’s goal was pretty attainable, I’ll stick to the current iterations I have.

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

Took me two weeks to get this far, talk about unexpected things to happen... But anyway, I decided on trying out GitHub's Projects to plan my work. I have previously used Trello and have nothing against it, but it would be great to have everything in one place.

Since I haven't done planning that much I gave myself a generous 15 days to complete 8 issues. Thus far everything has gone well. I'd say I use one third of the time in Unity's docs, half of the time coding and the rest testing out what ever feature I'm implementing.

Here's a partial pick from my Project view. Project plan

sjukovic profile image
sjukovic • Edited

I see the point.
To confirm, I realized how much times I had to replan just because of distractions I had control of...
It helps to discern, yes :)

The metrics I have are:
tRp - total replans
Rp - replans that I couldn't influence
Rpx - replans due to my own distractions :)
dw - No. of deep work sessions

Collapse

sjukovic profile image
sjukovic • Edited

I tried about five sessions - the week two lasted 4 weeks for me :D
All went well when I followed the oficial React tutorial, but when I actually got to the 'problem-solving' part (additional assignments), then I got intimidated and discouraged because I didn't know how to solve these simple 'tic-tac-toe' problems. Finally, I figured out that I just need to think, and work more on the basics (difference between Props and State etc - see the picture)... to walk before I fly :D
Now I'm back on track, but with the new plan to firstly master the basics through the freeCodeCamp tutorial first, and then go to the problem solving part.
I hope I will not end in some kind of 'tutorial purgatory'.

and... I also found that 'bullet journaling' and 'time-block planner' work best for me. No additional websites, apps, etc.

Bye,

Collapse

sjukovic profile image
sjukovic

Nice work, I tried the Time Block planner myself and found it very useful :) Thanks!
The only difference with me is that I almost regularly have to replan my day.

Bye,

Collapse

donokun profile image
Donovan • Edited

Like a lot of people, I used a Trello board as well. I figured to help me Code more I decided to do a mock up on Figma and a Google doc to have some sort of plan for the website. I took these steps so I don't open up VS code and be lost lol. I just used Google calendar to remind me with notifications for my time management.

Collapse

dretoba91 profile image
Dare Oloruntoba

I used Trello Board to set up my weekly goals. I further created a task list on how my work sessions will be. trello.com/c/ITLW9Dan/1-first-sets...

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow • Edited

using trello for my work session management, still working on breaking my work sessions into concise bits. Starting with the navigation component for my react project which is an SPA of mostly static data

Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin • Edited

I use Trello, Jira Boards, and my journal to help break down bigger tasks into smaller ones and link them to each other so it can prompt me to the next one.

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Created my first Github Kanban board - excited to use this. Gets me on Github and excited to contribute more.

Collapse

Sloan, the sloth mascot
Comment deleted
Collapse

Sloan, the sloth mascot
Comment deleted
Collapse

Sloan, the sloth mascot
Comment deleted
Collapse

Sloan, the sloth mascot
Comment deleted

Some comments may only be visible to logged-in visitors. Sign in to view all comments.