CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Start Coding" Pre-Mission Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Start Coding" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

After you've completed the reading, comment below with your reflections on coding anxiety, impostor's syndrome, and how they relate to your journey. Feel free to introduce yourself and follow other participants you see below.

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post and share with the community!

Oldest comments (74)

Collapse

ordinari_john profile image
Amaechi John • Edited

Hello everyone! My name is John from Nigeria. I'm super excited that I am learning on this platform.
I'll like to say that I totally agree with the points the writer had listed. Personally, I feel overwhelmed whenever I get to think of all the stuffs that's out there that I need to learn and how broad the programing path is.
But am very much happy that I can start somewhere with the tips that has been provided.

Collapse

dng3220m4 profile image
Ethan

That's one of my issues is the vast amount of resources available. How do you choose one? I guess you just push off from where you are!

Collapse

chukwukagideon profile image
Chukwukagideon

Wow nice to find a fellow Nigerian here, my name is Gideon.
I just joined the community.

Collapse

rgarcia12 profile image
rgarcia12

Hello I´m Ricardo from Mexico. Im Agree with the 4 tips specially when you try to learn and have no idea where start and not follow a path to learn, instead trying in a messed way.

Collapse

sabineemden profile image
Sabine Emden (she/her)

My goal to learn frontend web development and change my career in my mid-forties triggers feelings of uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure in me. Brené Brown's work on vulnerability, most importantly her book Rising Strong, is invaluable for me for learning how to lean in to the discomfort. This deeply personal work is at least as important as building the necessary technical skills for me to reach my goal to be a frontend developer.

Collapse

Amaechi John

We will all scale through.

Collapse

hazemsoliman96 profile image
HazemSoliman96

Hello everyone. My name is Hazem Soliman. I agree with the point of being stressed knowing there's still so much to learn.

Collapse

dcmotorhead profile image
hammad

Hello everyone, I am Hammad from Pakistan and my goal is to master a programming language and increase my coding knowledge so that I don't constantly feel like an imposter while working in tech. And to shed this insecurity of 'inadequacy' while applying for more 'techy' and dev-oriented jobs. I don't know if that's the right motivation because I think this feeling of 'inadequacy' is meant to stay, as there will ALWAYS be so much more to learn when it comes to CS technologies. Anyway, gotta start learning at some point. May be my perspective will change along the process. Let's hope I stick to it this time haha :)

Collapse

diegopaula profile image
Diego Paula

Hi guys! My name is Diego, I'm a frustrated chemist from Brazil. I am very happy to embark on this journey with you! Feel free to talk to me if you need anything, two newbies think better than one.
About this reading, I identified myself completely, and put the tips into practice. I am very motivated.

Collapse

gabrielruiz21 profile image
Gabriel Esteban Ruiz Meneses

Hello everyone! My name is Gabriel Ruiz and I am from Colombia. I am very passion about technology ,specially on the hardware and customer service side of it. This year I am planning to start on the software side of tech. I am surprise the main programming language the author use is Java. I was focusing more on Python, but I will now try out java and see how it goes. For now, I am open to new ideas or resources you guys can share. Feel free to connect on LinkedIn linkedin.com/in/gabrieleruiz/, or shot me an email at gabrielestebanruiz21@gmail.com. Happy coding

Collapse

inn3rs3lf profile image
Darryl Le Roux

Hey all.
As someone who is looking to change careers at almost 40 years of age, the anxiety is extremely weighty at this stage in your life. "Will someone hire me at my age?", "Will I be able to complete this?", "Will I be able to actually retrain my brain to think in a different way?" All of these are questions that I keep on asking myself - which eventually causes a mental roadblock when studying.
I plan on using these resources to try and drill it down, that with enough practice in the right environment, it can be possible.

Collapse

redsirion profile image
Rina Florijn

Almost 40? Young pup! I'm turning 41 in 3 weeks time! ;-)
I share your worries though and am mighty happy that I am single and am only responsible for myself. I tend to remind myself that every little step you take is still a step further towards your goal than doing nothing at all. It also makes me feel less bad about myself on days where I don't code at all but am only reading articles or watching videos about coding.
Good luck with the challenge!

Collapse

Amaechi John

Sure it's possible

Collapse

jesscancode profile image
Jess

Jozi in the house. I feel you. The sheer breadth and depth of "programming" is kind of mind blowing! We can just go one day at a time and slowly start to see things click.

Collapse

bekobekrija profile image
Berkan A.

Hello everyone! My name is Berkan and I am from Macedonia. I'm a person that started learning how to code in 2018 but i stopped. Before that I started to learn how to code back in 2014 but i stopped again, now for the third time i have to keep on learning because i want to create a startup company that i am very excited about.
Any tips on how to keep going would be welcome.
Best,
Berkan

Collapse

darlisson profile image
drkcode

My journey is similar. I'm still tryin to be a developer. Good luck.

Collapse

adammathewvaughn profile image
Adam • Edited

Hi, fellow coders! I couldn't agree more about the mental effects of 'imposter syndrome' and, at 36 years-old, I feel the creeping doubts of obsolescence. I am also guilty of spreading myself too thin with different languages and concepts and I hope to rectify this mistake with a new, more concentrated, and specific curriculum. I am further guilty of being a terrible personal-networker, and I'm even worse at asking for help. I look forward to changing these personality traits in myself and, in the spirit of connecting, I'd like to invite any/all of you to reach out to me via LinkedIn, GitHub, or Twitter. I look forward to beginning and completing this monumental journey with all of you, and wish you all the very best in this endeavor.

-Adam

Collapse

jrlunap profile image
𝔏𝔦𝔠. 𝔏𝔲𝔫𝔞

Once again, I'm trying to reach my coding goals. Wish me luck, discipline and consistency!

Collapse

wulingoh profile image
Wulingoh

Hello there,
I am not sure to how to start. My goal is very simple - to be a confident software developer. The article mentioned about anxiety and insecurities and those feelings are real to me. Taking this challenge is a huge step for me. I hope by taking this step, my understanding and confident in software development will grow.

Collapse

redsirion profile image
Rina Florijn

Hello, I'm Rina from The Netherlands.
Imposter syndrome is something I first heard when I decided to return to coding. Oddly enough, I don't think I really suffer from it (yet?). I think it may have to do with being a little older (40 yo) - I had a to learn a lot in my (rather varied) working life so far and succeeded learning new skills then - why not this time?
My main struggle is that I was always told what and how to study, and when and now that I have to figure it out on my own I feel rather clueless and overwhelmed. This challenge couldn't have come at a better moment and I wish all participants a good time completing it!

Collapse

dtipton profile image
Dtipton

Hello! My name Daniel from the US. I'm a senior in a Computer Science program and the imposter syndrome is real! I'm hoping to learn a bit more to put my mind at ease as I get ready to start looking for developer jobs at the end of this year.

Collapse

eduenez33 profile image
Edwin Duenez

Good luck Daniel!

Collapse

eduenez33 profile image
Edwin Duenez

Hey, y'all!
imposter syndrome hit me hard when I began attending a local "Learn to Code" meetup. Most of the people attending were either in boot camps or pursuing a CS degree in college. I was the only one going the self-taught route. Everyone seemed to understand all the information the instructors were presenting and I felt lost and out of place.

Although it was hard for me at first, the mentors there were super cool and helped me out a ton and I did begin to notice progress.