CodeNewbie Community ๐ŸŒฑ

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Write More" Mission 2 [pt. I] Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Write More" Mission 2 [pt. I] Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 2 [pt. 1] email, post a link to your favorite outline. You should create these outlines as an unpublished draft here on CodeNewbie Community. Paste a link to your favorite outline draft in the comments below. Use the outline templates provided in the email for this part of Mission 2.

After sharing your outline, find someone else'sย postย and give them some feedback. What stands out to you? What points were most interesting? What did you want to learn more about? Be kind and specific in your feedback! If you receive feedback, take it into consideration and thank the reviewer!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Write More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Write More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Oldest comments (27)

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

For the other writers that have yet to start on this like me ๐Ÿ˜‚ (i'll get to it during the weekend...)

Personally I use notion to write my posts since its a lot easier to format markdown there, so here are some notion templates based on the 3 templates that are sent to us in the email:

Tutorial Outline

Explainer Outline

Project Outline

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang • Edited

Here are my three writing ideas:

1. Explainer: How I used cherry-pick to solve a Git issue with Forking workflow

Something that I recently worked on. I want to write it down so that it could be useful to others.

2. Explainer: What are Node.js Streams?

I feel Node.js streams are something people rarely talk about. And it's a mystery for most. I want to share whatever information I have gained about them.

3. Project: Integrating a payment-gateway in an e-commerce website (Focus on Backend part)

For a long time, I've worked with payment gateways. I want to create a project that people can used as a reference by people who might be new to e-commerce.

I'm going forward with idea #1

1. Because the problem is fresh in my mind. And I want to write on it quickly.
  2. It's the only one that I feel I'll be able to finish in time. After writing the outline for the other two, I felt they'll require considerable time and effort. So I'll work on them on the sides. But for this challenge, my focus will be on idea #1

Here's the link to my unpublished post outline.
community.codenewbie.org/gaurang84...

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hey there! I can't seem to access your unpublished post!

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

Woops! I guess you can't use liquid tag to embed an unpublished post. ^^'

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Alrighty! Able to access it now :D

I'm not sure what do you mean by "Take backup clone first" ๐Ÿค”

Thread Thread

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

It's my personal safety measure when dealing with these kinds of things.
When you're trying to solve a Git issue, you often need to revert certain commits, reapply them, merge and rebase branches, etc. right?
You're essentially re-writing (Git) history.
If you're not careful, you could lose important parts of your code. And if you push it to the origin without realizing what you've done, you're in developer hell. RIP.

To avoid that, this is what I generally do. If I feel unclear about how to solve a problem, I clone the repo again in another directory and checkout the branches that I'm gonna touch on.
This is the backup clone.

If things go south and I lose some code. Or I somehow mess up the history more than it already was. I can just scrape the existing local repo and start using the backup clone.
Now if I'm having one of my worse days. And I force-push my changes to the origin without realizing that I've made a blunder.
I can just go to my backup clone and run git push --force origin master.

It's basically like a save-point before the boss battle.

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

ohh, now i understand what you mean by "backup clone"! I also like your analogy of "save-point before the boss battle", you could include that in your article :P

I do that sometimes as well when it comes to complicated merge/rebase xD

A trick that my friend taught me recently was to just remove the branch that has problems entirely from your local machine and then git pull to get that branch completely fresh from remote - but of course this trick only applies if the problem is only for that branch and that you don't need any local changes on that anymore.

Looking forward to your cherry picking article! Haven't tried it before.

Thread Thread

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

Oh! Imma include the whole comment in my post! ๐Ÿ˜†

A trick that my friend taught me recently was to just remove the branch that has problems entirely from your local machine and then git pull to get that branch completely fresh from remote - but of course this trick only applies if the problem is only for that branch and that you don't need any local changes on that anymore.

Ah yes! That's a good one.

Looking forward to your cherry-picking article! Haven't tried it before.

Thanks, man! ๐Ÿ˜Œ
The deployment practice at my work is such that I often have to cherry-pick commits for a release ๐Ÿ˜…
I hope you'll like the article. Would you be interested to review a more mature draft once it's ready?

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

sure of course! ๐Ÿ˜„

Collapse

vpugh profile image
Tori Pugh

Short and sweet. I think when it gets fleshed out I can see an extremely helpful article. I need this article awhile ago when I had to cherry pick for the first time.

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

Haha, I'm convinced. We just don't talk enough about Git!
Even though it's literally a lifeline for developers.

Btw there's still a lot of time. But would you be interested in reading a more mature draft once it is ready? ๐Ÿ˜„

Thread Thread

vpugh profile image
Tori Pugh

Sure! I'd love to.

Haha, we don't talk about Git enough so I'm all for learning more.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey • Edited

Here's the link to my unpublished post outline on VueJS fundamentals for React developers.

You will notice that I have used a lot of sentence structure provided by the template and then I add on content ๐Ÿ˜†

Wasn't really sure how much I need to fill out for the outline since the outline itself is huge... This alone definitely took up the entirety of the 60+30+30mins sessions. Didn't manage to work on the outlines for the other articles yet.

Collapse

vpugh profile image
Tori Pugh

Very good outline setup. I could follow along easily, knowing some React. If I didn't know React I feel there was more than enough links and mentions of things to look up that I could come up to speed. Great job!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Thank you Tori :D

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

I'm not so knowledgeable in React or Vue but reading over your outline so far gets points accross even to someone who doesn't know the subject at all. ๐Ÿ˜…

I'm such a fan of the little design details you have in your blog outline. The use of bolding, linking in the right place, emojis and you're whole ending paragraph are all awesome!

I'm definitely taking notes ๐Ÿ“

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜„

Collapse

vpugh profile image
Tori Pugh

Hello, here is a project outline that I've completed, outline. Any feedback would be nice, I have a demo video I made in quicktime but I'm unsure how to add it into the article.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

wow a project for your mom, that's so sweet! There are quite a lot of libraries that you're using which I'm unfamiliar with hehe, looking forward to your article.

I think it's quite hard to read the technical challenges in code blocks though, i have to drag the slider to the right to read it.

Collapse

vpugh profile image
Tori Pugh

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll try and figure out how to fix that.

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

wow a project for your mom, that's so sweet!

Had the exact same reaction! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
More power to you @vpugh ! ๐Ÿ˜Š

You mentioned that this project made you use technologies that you never used before. And then you described those technologies. I'd love to hear more on that. How and why you chose what.

Collapse

Khloe Brown

Hello, Hello ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm a little late to the party as I'm learning to balance "writing more" with my busy work schedule. ๐Ÿ˜…

I made an outline of my tutorial blog idea: Styling a Mobile Navigation Bar.
I changed the title and idea to 1 example so I could use more of the text in explaining 1 example in much more detail.

Here is my unpublished outline link.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey • Edited

Hello Khloe! Just read through it and here's my feedback:

• I like your introduction to the "Mobile First" concept by bringing up the problem that most tutorials are focused on teaching web dev code meant for display on the desktop.
  • Also perhaps, you may also wanna change the header of "Introduction" a little bit, because as a reader when I first saw that header together with your title of "Styling a Mobile Navigation Bar", I was expecting a introduction more specifically on Navigation Bars in the mobile context rather than the comparison of tutorials for desktop vs mobile display (it is still a good attempt for relating to your target audience :D).
  • Personally I find this paragraph here very hard to read because of the use of superscripts that don't actually link to any sources and that there's too many within a short paragraph. It makes me want to skip it altogether.

Enter in the media queryยฒ! This is a neat statementยณ to add to your CSS code to apply different CSS style code based on the device widthโฟ. Media queries are vital for responsive web designโฟ.

• The Carbon tool you're using looks pretty cool! :thumbs_up:
  • The Steps as indicated in the headers are great. No confusion there.
  • But your current outline for Step 1 is slightly confusing. Initially you assure the reader that you will walking them through the tutorial with the "normal" view code first i.e. Desktop First in the first paragraph, but next you immediately placed this quote.

A growing trend today is โ€œMobile Firstโ€ Design where you would start coding and designing your website with small devices in mind like phones before larger devices like desktop computers. This can go back to that Statista Research Study of 90% of the population using their phones for internet consumption.

Perhaps an intermediate sentence or explanation is required, it feels abrupt.

• Finally, remember to change the title of the post when it is more complete ๐Ÿ˜„ Good outline thus far! Look far to reading your article when it is done!
Collapse

Khloe Brown

Hello! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you for your reply and feedback! I looked over and highlighted your comments and critiques to review my own work.

For the header section, definitely I'll work on a better title name that goes with the content under it ๐Ÿ˜„

For my paragraphs with the superscripts, I plan on having some sort of implementation of a glossary for readers to learn about more technical terms I use. Do you think if I include the glossary at the bottom it would be efficient or should I just have the definition or explanation next to the word in the paragraph?

I also will work on transitioning with my quotes, tips and flow of instruction as well.

Thank you again for your feedback, it was very helpful! ๐Ÿค—

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

I think it will be better if you include definitions directly next to them when you introduce them for less reading fatigue! unless you plan to reveal those definitions one by one through your steps ๐Ÿ˜„

you could have at the end a list of resources that will expand more on each of those if you want to.

Glad that my feedback helped!