CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Get a Job" Cohort 1] How are you feeling after reviewing your job descriptions?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Get a Job" Cohort 1] How are you feeling after reviewing your job descriptions?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Get a Job" Challenge.

Mission 1 pt. II Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 pt. II email, respond to the following prompt...

**1. How are you feeling about your job hunt after reviewing the job descriptions you found?
**2. Tell us about your skillset overlap with the job descriptions you found? What skills could you bring to those roles? What skills would you need to develop?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Get a Job! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Get a Job Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (8)

Collapse

alekseisaunders profile image
Alex Saunders

1) Honestly, a little nervous. Most of my list are currently looking for mid-level or supervisory roles. I may need to widen my net a little bit to look for something more suitable. Regardless, I do need to begin reaching out to people at these organizations to have a discussion about potential learning pathways and skills.
2) I feel confident in my HTML and CSS. Vanilla JavaScript basics are strong as well, and currently I'm working on Asynchronous functionality. I'm a strong communicator within the conservation sphere, and my writing skills are polished. I've got holes in regards to frameworks (React, Vue, etc) and I'd like to develop some back-end chops as well.

Collapse

dev_tgt profile image
Timothy Taylor

1) Feeling okay. Seeing 3-5 years required experience for most jobs is tiring, but my evaluations for the jobs I have been documenting were generally Target to Safety which feels good. I have already applied to some of these Target-Safety jobs (seemingly unsuccessfully) which highlights issues with how I am presenting myself, and makes me worried that I applied too early before really cleaning up my resume, portfolio, and online presence (especially for a couple of jobs I am really interested in). I am probably casting too wide of a net (Full Stack to Front end to UI/UX), but I consider myself a generalist developer and feel that I will be effective in any of these kind of roles.
2) I am quite comfortable with React, Javascript, HTML, and CSS skills, so it's great to see those all over the place. Next step for tech skills is to start working in Figma & React Native, and keep practicing testing and API. My non-tech skill to work on was highlighted from this bit from a job qualification (and this is a big one!): "excellent communication skills as demonstrated via past collaborative experience, writings, video, etc.." I feel like my communication skills are good in person, but I have been historically bad at documenting written communication. This makes me really think about starting some consistent blogging and writing.

Collapse

darylnauman profile image
Daryl Nauman

I hear you Timothy! I too have been casting a wide net (i.e., full-stack and front-end positions), which I think is okay. The full-stack is so broad, my challenge is improving skills evenly without neglecting an area for some time (e.g., I spend time really working on improving my CSS skills and with that time passes and I feel like I haven't touched a particular database type in awhile and have to revisit/relearn it) -- I guess ongoing practice and projects will help even that out. For myself over time even as a generalist, I imagine I'll find some areas of the full-stack that I'll really dive deeper into over other areas (maybe!).

Collapse

sne_hal_p profile image
Snehal Parate • Edited

I think I can relate here with your post. I feel I am not presenting my skills well on social media and I need to work on this to better reflect who am I and what skills I bring. I also feel my communication skills are good, but not very well with documenting those on paper/blog. I feel if we reflect skills better on LinkedIn/Github/Resume, 3-5yrs experience at times can be overlooked. I wish you good luck with the job search.

Collapse

sne_hal_p profile image
Snehal Parate • Edited

*1. I feel confident after reading these job descriptions. Most of the job descriptions landed in "Target" (could be I am overanalyzing myself). I definitely feel I will need to polish my resume, LinkedIn to reflect my skills better.
*2. Overlap looked like React, HTML, CSS, Collaboration and eager to learn new technologies. I would like to develop my skills in Unit Testing and advanced concepts of React like Hooks.

Collapse

Daryl Nauman • Edited
  1. I started the day looking through regular job boards and wasn't feeling overly optimistic, but then I started this activity and went to several of the companies I identified in the earlier activity and felt better. I found a few opportunities I could apply to and/or that were of interest to me. The job descriptions I found tended to be between the target and reach categories for me, so there is some potential and at least one safety category position to apply to.

2. I felt the positions I identified (intentionally) overlapped with my skill set around React, HTML, CSS, JavaScript plus experience with Express, NodeJS, and databases (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB). I do think I need to learn more about design practices, polish my portfolio and get better at making impressive front-end designs with CSS. Also, a few tech areas are coming up occasionally that if they continue I'll want to learn / gain exposure to: AWS, docker, Java, python. That said, I do want to reinforce some of my current skills to increase my proficiency level.

Collapse

rodrigohdiaz profile image
Rodrigo Diaz

1)Honestly, I am feeling a bit deflated. I feel like a lot of the jobs that I have applied for recently, including the ones that I reviewed for this challenge are ones that I fit 80-90% of what they’re looking for, however it seems like there’s something unwritten that they are wanting too, as I haven’t been successful in getting interview, or getting the feedback that they want someone with more experience, but that my soft skills are great.
2)I feel confident sometimes with my general knowledge but some other times I fall a bit on the 'imposter syndrome', and the feedback I have been getting doesn't help with that, so I'm looking into collaborating to some projects that can give me some experience, which is what I need, some real projects.
P.S.
I hope this doesn't sound like a rant, but there's a reason I'm in this cohort :)

Collapse

Daryl Nauman

Hey Rodrigo, Hang in there - hopefully through this program we'll be landing a few more interviews! I do agree that projects (either solo or with others) are a helpful way to build up some experience to address the lack of experience issue.