CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 Cohort 1] Learn in Public Welcome Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 Cohort 1] Learn in Public Welcome Thread

Hello to all our wonderful #CNC2022 "Learn in Public" participants for Cohort 1! 🎉

The very first step in your challenge is to introduce yourself to the rest of your "Learn in Public" cohort. You can do that in the comments below by sharing...

• Your coding/tech background
  • Why you decided to register for #CNC2022 — and why you picked the "Learn in Public" challenge
  • Your area of interest or career/coding focus
  • [optional] Your favorite motivational saying/quote
  • [optional] A GIF that represents how you're feeling about #CNC2022

Once you've shared your comment, read through the other responses, and say hi to a few of your peers, ask a few friendly questions and follow your cohort here on CodeNewbie Community!

We look forward to meeting you via the comments below.

In a few of the missions you'll receive over the next few weeks, you'll be asked to return here to connect with other participants, so give this thread a save 🏷

Latest comments (54)

Collapse

sagar00 profile image
Sagar

Hey everyone, My name is Sagar and I am from India, currently pursuing Computer Science degree. I talks about Android application development and enthusiastic for Artificial Intelligence.

Collapse

nirbhayparmar profile image
Nirbhay Parmar • Edited
  1. Your coding/tech background-

• I am learning JavaScript and familiar with c/c++ and Java.
  2. Why you decided to register for #CNC2022 — and why you picked the "Learn in Public" challenge-

• I have decided to participate in learn in public to keep myself accountable on my learning.
  3. Your area of interest or career/coding focus-

• My areas of interest are Back end development and cloud services.
  4. Your favorite motivational saying/quote-

• Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. By- Albert Einstein.
Collapse

lilacreader profile image
Angela

Hello all! I'm a WordPress and Shopify dev. I've been working with WordPress for about 5 years and Shopify for about 3. I had planned to use this to learn some liquid to improve my Shopify skills but I've decided to focus on Git/Github instead. I've never quite wrapped my head around it and its a neccesary skill.

My favorite motivational saying is "its not silly if it works" which sounds kind of ridiculous but definitely keeps me going.

Collapse

funmitoblessed profile image
Olúwafúnmitọ́ Blessed

Hello CodeNewbie #LearnInPublic family!

I'm so excited to be here. My name is Funmito. I am currently employed as a Data Analyst but I have some work experience in Systems Administration, Front-End Web Development more recently, Cloud Administration and Engineering. I picked this challenge because for a while, I've wanted to write regularly about my growth and development journey in the tech space and I feel this is a great opportunity to get started.

My current career focus is Data and I hope to evolve to become a fully fledged Data Scientist.

One of my favorite quotes is "Action without Delay is the secret of Efficiency". I can't remember where I read it from but it has stuck with me for more than half of my life, and I hope it continues to do so.

I look forward to an exciting time on this journey.

Collapse

unnamedrd profile image
Naj • Edited

I'm a self-taught front-end dev based out of Seattle, WA, aiming to land my first dev role by the end of Q1 this year. I'm currently going through interviews, and as a first-timer to the technical interview process, it's really daunting sometimes! That's why I'll be creating resources on technical interview prep for this challenge, focusing on making content explaining data structures and algorithms in simple, relatable terms.

My focus is on JavaScript and JS libraries and frameworks. I'll probably be using JS when I create my content, although ideally, I'd like to find a way to make language-agnostic content. I'd also like to get better at short-form video.

This is my first code newbie challenge. I thought it'd be fun to roll the dice, meet some new devs and work on a common goal together through #CNC2022.

I'm excited to see what we're going to create together for the next few weeks and hope to get to know some of you better!

Woman at awards show

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Hi everyone ! I'm Xavier 🙂👋🏼

I register with you all on the "Learn In Public" Challenge ! (I repeat my post from the general Welcome Thread as it will be more appropriate here as we are all focusing on the same challenge 🙂)

Even if I haven't been able to finish the Write More Challenge last year, it has bring me a lot of great knowledge and was a very fun experience ! So I want to do it again with you this year, and this time, complete it 💪

If you want to follow my journey during this challenge, or simply connect with me, you can reach me either on Dev.to, CodeNewbie, Medium, GitHub, Twitter or on my personnal website.

I hope to get to know some of you during this challenge, and that we will all succeed ! ❤️

Collapse

rkrupnick profile image
Rachel Krupnick

Hello everyone! I am a mostly self-taught developer, having been through a few courses but no degree and no bootcamp. I am hoping to get a job in web development or start freelancing by the end of this year.

I decided to do the Learn in Public challenge to really challenge myself. Also, I want to establish more of an online presence.

Right now I am focusing on React, but I am also interested in back-end.

Collapse

santoshmanaguli profile image
Santosh Managuli

Hello eveyone Santosh Managuli here from India, a software engineer who loves to code, have expertise in java and javascript and I am learning new things everyday

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

Hello, Hello 👋

I'm Khloe Brown, a frontend developer and graphic designer with almost 7 years of experience (college and professional).

I decided to do CNC again after trying for the first time at CNC2021. I didn't complete the challenge but I learned a lot while having a great time with the community. I chose the "Learn in Public" challenge to "force" myself to engage and interact with the online coding community more. I have my accounts to post my insight and knowledge but was too scared to actually post anything. I'm hoping this challenge will get the ball rolling.

My favorite quote for life is "Keep Moving Forward" by Walt Disney. I've faced so much in life and expect more to come but it's important to always dust yourself off and keep going.

Good luck and best wishes to everything during this years challenge!

GIF-Image-Anixous-and-Nervous-but-Excited

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

Kudos to you for coming back for another challenge! "Keep Moving Forward" is my personal mantra, I even have a little arrow tattoo as a reminder to myself (kinda cheesy, I know). Looking forward to seeing your experience with this challenge!

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

Hello everyone! I'm a business analyst on a .NET team that builds custom apps for a university. I studied front-end web development in college, and as a BA I get to help craft and define the applications my team builds, but I don't do any hands-on coding at work.

This year I'm trying to get more technical, and get back into growing my coding skills. I don't really have any experience with the backend, and that's something I want to fix this year! For now, and for the scope of the Learn in Public challenge, I'm interested in learning SQL and getting better at writing my own queries, and I'm also starting to explore automated testing frameworks.

One of my goals this year is to get out of my comfort zone and make more content, and I'm so excited to get started with this challenge!

Collapse

sparsell profile image
Sonja Parsell

Hi - I'm Sonja. I'm a full stack developer after having graduated from Flatiron School in Nov. I took a month or so off and am now focusing on my job search.

I'm determined to become a blockchain developer so in this challenge I am going to learn Solidity and learn about other DLT languages, as well as the blockchain ecosystem so that I have a really solid understanding of the platforms, and all the various players in the space. Especially as it relates to financial services, where I worked for before diving into code. I'm excited that my first career could launch me into my second in a really impactful way!

One of my all time favorite quotes is by Merlin, from "The Once and Future King":

"The best thing for being sad, is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honor trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then -- to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the thing for you."

Excited to get started and get to know all of you!

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to working through this challenge together!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hi everyone! 👋

I'm Ayu, and I'm a self-taught front-end developer based in The Netherlands.

I've been writing articles to share my learning journey for some time now as my own notes, as well as helping others. But I want to be more consistent in doing so.
I'm also looking to do stream or create video content when I'm more comfortable.
Who knows I can get motivated by doing this challenge and you all can be my inspiration of doing it 😄

My coding focus this time would be React. I've been on and off learning React properly because I got distracted with other things 😆

There is one quote that I found recently and really motivates me when I feel down.

If you fail, never give up because F.A.I.L. means "First Attempt In Learning";
End is not the end, if fact E.N.D. means "Effort Never Dies";
If you get no as an answer, remember N.O. means "Next Opportunity";

A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

gif of cat put on sunglass

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

I can relate about the consistency. That is something I need to work on this year. Staying consistent is tough so hopefully this challenge will have good tips to help me more consistent this year.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Great quote, Ayu! Will definitely use it for motivation :) Excited to do this challenge with you!!

Collapse

nnekasandra profile image
Njoku Nneka Sandra

Hello everyone 👋
I'm Nneka Sandra from Nigeria.
I decided to register for the learn in public challenge because I want to be more accountable and put myself out there helping people.
I'm a frontend developer with proficiency with html, css and responsive design. I want to focus more on learning javascript with the learn with public challenge. It's great being here.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I hope to get more into frontend one day! Happy to do this challenge with you!

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity • Edited

Hi everyone! I am a software engineer, I started working in 2020. I decided to register for the challenge since I've been wanting to get back into writing articles and learning new things. My focus has been Java, Python, and C++.
Excited Baby Yoda

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Best gif ever, Neha! 🤩
Let's have fun for this challenge!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hello everyone, I'm a junior software developer who's been exploring frontend development as well as technical writing outside of work (where I usually work on backend microservices). CodeNewbie community was where I published my first article on web development 🌱

I have attempted #CNC2021 Writing Challenge previously, but stopped midway because of mental health reasons. This year, I will try to complete a #CNC2022 challenge till the end 💪

At the start of this year 2022, to motivate myself to improve my craft in React, Typescript & hybrid app development, I've enrolled in a React Native learning cohort. I have been tweeting consistently about the things that I've tried and learnt through the side projects that I worked on for the assignments, and plan to continue doing so through this #LearnInPublic challenge.

Looking forward to make new friends here ✨

Collapse

Khloe Brown

Hello Estee! I'm back to do and FINISH this years challenge! Good to see you!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

omg hi Khloe! My article review buddy ✨ Good to see you again too. All the best to both of us 💪

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hi Estee! I also attempted a #CNC2021 challenge which I did not complete. Last year I had signed up for the Code More challenge and stopped since I prioritized changing jobs. I'm hoping to complete this #CNC2022 challenge. We got this!! 💪

Collapse

Khloe Brown

Hello Neha!
I didn't finish CNC2021 either but I know we can both rock it this year!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hey, Estee!
Great to see some familiar faces doing this challenge as well! 😄

I'm doing React (and maybe some accessibilities) for this challenge. But I'm so looking forward to see your contents about React Native!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hello Ayu! Happy to see you taking part in this challenge too :D Accessibility is something I'm keen in too, let's learn more about it together!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Baby chicken saying you got this