CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: Why Developers Need To Build Personal Brand

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

I have been thinking more about this concept of a personal brand, and I must admit that I struggle with it a bit. I see the value in a consistent message and creating/building trust with people. But I find myself wanting to be human online. I want to bring my full self to my social media profiles, not just the career woman. I also don't want to feel so boxed in around just talking about tech (or in the case of hobbies, just talking about that hobby). I want to be able to geek out on coding stuff but then also appreciate and share art and books and life hacks. I haven't seen/figured out how to do that effectively yet.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati • Edited

Hi Anita,

I've seen many known developers talking about code and their stack, and also sharing their personal life or showing who they are and what they're into.
Look at Emma Bostian, Cassidy, and Danny Thompson.
Developers are human first after all :)
Some people who follow you for your tech stuffs maybe don't really interested in your non-tech life, but they could still know that you have other interests.
I created my Twitter account initially for logging my tech journey.
So it's a little bit difficult for me now to put "the whole me" out there on social media. But I'm heading there though :)
At least for now, I do it in my articles.
Outside technical ones, I love writing about my personal struggles as self-taught with a toddler and communities who see me as people first :)

Maybe you can start with putting 80% of your tech things and the rest for your personal interest that shows who you really are to build your presence, and adding more and more to it :)

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Thanks for this list! I follow Danny, but I'm not familiar with the others. I'll check them out.
I too have a toddler, and I'm self-teaching. I'm a systems engineer (my background is in Aviation), but I want to get into coding. I don't have a following yet, so I can brainstorm and rebrand as much as I want right now. 😂 Thanks for writing this. It's given me some things to think about.

Thread Thread

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

You're welcome!
I hope you can start to build your online presence. 😃