CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Anita Beauchamp
Anita Beauchamp

Posted on

Week 2 Recap - Realignment

Greetings CodeNewbies πŸ‘‹πŸΎ

It's that time of the week again where I go over my #100DaysOfCode progress. I typically like to release these on Mondays, but this weekend/week has been hectic!

Alas, instead of letting perfectionism derail me, I'm moving full steam ahead, staying committed, and releasing my update today.

Accomplishments

Overall, I had a really successful week. I completed the following:
βœ… Finished the Google Homepage project (from The Odin Project)
βœ… Finished the Getting Started with Python course (1 of 4 in the Python for Everybody Specialization)
βœ… Achieved my #CNC2021 Code More goal: Completed Week 3 of the Python Data Structures course
βœ… Received mentor approval on an Exercism.io exercise

I am really proud of myself and my progress for the week. It gave me a much-needed sense of accomplishment and renewal. However, if you read my Week 1 Recap from last week, this accomplishments list may seem a little different...

Flashback: Week 2 Goals

Last week, I planned the following goals for Week 2:
πŸ”² Finish the W3Schools CSS Tutorial
βœ… Finish the Google homepage project
πŸ”² Work on #CNC2021 Mission 2 email

As this list shows, there's only one item that overlaps and two of three haven't been completed.

Great question! I'm so glad you asked. 😊

What Had Happened Was ...

As I was working on Mission 2 of the #CNC2021 Code More challenge, I realized that I was out of alignment with my stated goal. I had written that I wanted to finish Week 3 of a Python Data Structures course that I was planning to take. Instead, I had spent most of my time working on The Odin Project Foundations pathway. While it was a beneficial distraction, it wasn't what I had said I wanted to do. Therefore, I needed to adjust.

I also noticed that getting sidetracked meant I had generated a lot of WIP (i.e. work-in-progress or unfinished tasks). And the WIP was only increasing. For each thing that I started, I went on tangents of tangents, leaving me with a lot of loose ends. I decided to write down all of the outstanding courses I was in and prioritize them. Here was my priorities list:

• Getting Started with Python (course 1 of 4 in the Python for Everybody specialization)
  • Ask Questions to Make Data-Driven Decisions (course 2 of 8 in the Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate)
  • The Odin Project Foundations pathway, which included the Google homepage Project
  • freeCodeCamp Responsive Web Design Certification (I finished the lessons and need to work on the projects)
  • W3Schools CSS Tutorial (I started this in order to help with finishing the Google homepage project)

πŸ™ˆ I know. When I said a lot of WIP, I meant A LOT!

Rebalancing Act

As much as I wanted to keep pretending that I could do it all, I knew in my heart that I needed to slow down. It was common for me see 2am most nights of the week. I was even having nights where I'd stay up until 4 or 5 am, snooze for a couple hours, and then try to mom an energetic toddler during the day. I was beat, and it wasn't long before I found myself discouraged and anxious. Although I was learning a lot and making progress, it wasn't sustainable. There was no way I would've made it 100 days at that pace.

I refocused and came up with a new schedule to burn down WIP:

• Mon - Sat: Python and Google Data Analysis coursework.
  • Sun: The Odin Project Foundations coursework.

This change led to more sleep, less stress, and the accomplishments list at the top of the post.

Next Week's Plan

I'll be sticking with the changes that I made until I complete the Python for Everybody specialization and Google Data Analytics Professional certification.

Around the Web 🌏

Season 4: Episode 5 of the DevNews podcast was really interesting. Saron and Josh (hosts) discuss security concerns with the Apple's AirTags, the hack on the pipeline that left the Southeast and others scrambling for gas last week, and potential energy impacts of neural networks being hacked.

My favorite part was learning about the hacker group behind the pipeline attack. I found myself both horrified and fascinated by how they carried out their attack and walked away with $5M worth of Bitcoins.*

* at the time of the recording, the payment hadn't been confirmed. However, the New York Times has reported that Colonial Pipeline paid the ransom.

Final Thoughts

Thank you for joining me on this journey and taking the time to read about my progress. I really do appreciate connecting with all of you. 😊

How are things with you? Are you in the zone or could you used some extra support? Let me know in the comments below. πŸ‘‡πŸΎπŸ‘‡πŸΎπŸ‘‡πŸΎ

Oldest comments (4)

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hey Anita! It's great to see your accomplishments! I've fallen into the trap of having too much on my work in progress list and getting overwhelmed as well. I've learned that it's okay to take a step back and reevaluate my priorities. I also have gotten sidetracked from the #CNC2021 Code More challenge. Recently at my job, a team member left and I've had to tackle additional tasks that I'm not familiar with. But I know that once I'm at a place where I can allocate time and not be exhausted, I can pick back up with the challenge. I like reading your weekly recaps and I feel that I'm not alone :)

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Hi Neha,
WIP has this way of seeming harmless and then turning into this giant hill to climb, at least for me. πŸ˜‚ I also feel like work & life responsibilities conspire to derail things whenever we set a new goal, lol. Hopefully, you are learning some valuable skills at work even though it's not what you had planned/hoped to be doing.

Thank you for taking the time to read my recaps. I'm glad that it makes you feel less alone. πŸ’ž

Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

Wooo! Look at you go Anita! You show those obstacles who is boss :D You're doing so well, and it's okay when things don't go as planned. (I think most developers will agree with you on this one haha). I am guilty of that too with things never going as expected but I try my best as well, even if it is one lesson a day. Keep up the great job and update on your progress :).

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Thank you πŸ˜„ There have been so many surprises that I'm now scared when things do go as planned. lol