CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Feelings about CSS...
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou

Posted on • Originally published at eleftheriabatsou.hashnode.dev

Feelings about CSS...

CSS can be tricky! It makes you feel powerful and weak at the same time. After many hours -and some magic numbers- you'll have what you initially -almost- wanted!

The most common word between the answers was "magic", other common words were "superpower", "powerful" and "lost", "confused", "frustration"!
If you have trouble learning CSS, I hope this post will help you to see you're not the only one.

Alt Text

Let's see how people felt when they first started working with it.

how did you feel when you first started learning CSS?#DEVCommunity #CodeNewbies

β€” Eleftheria Batsou (@batsouelef ) April 8, 2021
  • I thought this is just **magic **I will never understand and now I would say I'm a magician too, but some styling things will always be magic for me 🀣.
  • I felt quite good actually, it's not that difficult if you keep doing small projects and animation stuff.
  • I felt powerful.
  • I felt like an artist.
  • I felt intimidated... But once I got my hands in a PDF design, I started improving.
  • It felt like unlimited creativity was available.
  • It felt so hard. Especially padding and margin πŸ˜‚
  • It feels like magic most especially using the color code
  • Feeling difficulty + amazed by the results.πŸ˜…
  • Felt like I had a superpower.
  • Like, wow, this is so much easier than learning actual coding. Why didn’t I do this sooner.
  • Like that bit in the Wizard of Oz where it goes from Black and White to Colour.
  • I feel that I've never truly learned CSS. I keep on learning things daily. I love playing around with it, to be honest. It's like having superpowers.
  • At first I was like a kid in a candy store but after a while it became a chore. But like anything, you get used to it as it's a tool, a very powerful one.
  • I actually had an easier time writing algorithms in JS then learning things like flexbox, creating (non visual) abstract models in my head feels more in my element than making mental visuals. Interesting how different people find different things harder/easier.
  • Irritating Expressionless face and still feels the same.
  • It was a pretty quick transition from html to css, so didn't realize much. But now, when i am going in the nuances of CSS, it feels pretty slick that how something so simple can become so tricky as you unleash the layers.
  • That Time was Great Until I Get into the Responsive Design Part, I Was So Scared and Frustrated to Create Responsive Layouts for Every Breakpoint, I just Skipped that Part and Started to Learn Bootstrap.
  • Lost. I felt lost.
  • Lost. Still feel that way dealing with it. I can generally do what I need to, but I feel like I’ll never master it.
  • A combination of excitement as I watch people do amazing things with it, and frustration when my creations fall flat.
  • Flexbox felt like a magic trick or sumn.
  • Bootstrap always protected me from the depths of css hell.
  • At first, I thought. It's gonna be my piece of cake. Then after some time I realized, it's so hard.
  • I nearly went nuts.
  • To be honest, never actually learned it. I just google stuff when I need to.
  • I thought it's just easy and simple as styling a Microsoft word document but I was wrong.

And some quotes we all know / things we have done:

• "Oh, this is so simple, let's just center this element, aaaand it's gone. Neutral face"
  • "Well ... that's pretty Simple"
  • Color everything
  • !important everywhere

Thank you everyone for participating in Twitter :)

What about you? how did you felt?

If you want to take part in these questions make sure to follow me on Twitter or Instagram.

πŸ‘‹Hello, I'm Eleftheria, developer, public speaker, and chocolate lover.

πŸ₯°If you liked this post please share.

🍩Would you care about buying me a coffee? You can do it here but If you can't that's ok too!

cofGif.gif

πŸ™It would be nice to subscribe to my Youtube channel. It’s free and it helps to create more content.

🌈Youtube | Codepen | GitHub | Twitter | Site | Instagram

Oldest comments (0)