CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Non-CS degree holders, what did you study in college?
Ben Halpern
Ben Halpern

Posted on

Non-CS degree holders, what did you study in college?

Oldest comments (37)

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

My official degree is: Bachelor of Arts, with a Major in Commerce and a minor in Canadian Studies.

Within "commerce" I studied a variety of business and organizational structure disciplines, with a focus on marketing.

Collapse

jordanaf808 profile image
jordanaf808

Liberal Arts Yo! (associates degree...)

Collapse

tonycimaglia profile image
Tony Cimaglia

I never actually finished my bachelor's, but I studied Film and Video. I've thought about going back to finish as a CS major if I can ever convince a company i work for to pay for it 😝.

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

I studied some film and video in college. Did you try to get into that industry before getting into coding?

Collapse

tonycimaglia profile image
Tony Cimaglia

I started to lose my passion for the medium the more I studied. Once I realized what working in that industry was actually gonna look like (90hr weeks, no time for family, etc.) I was completely off the idea.

Collapse

brendamichellle profile image
Brenda Michelle

I have a BA in Sociology 🙂

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Any parts of a sociology degree help you in software development today?

Collapse

brendamichellle profile image
Brenda Michelle

Maybe the research I had to do during uni 🤔. It has helped me in self-learning a lot. I do a lot of research to find the best resources to build my own curriculum.🙂

Collapse

hmboyles profile image
holly boyles

I was a registered dental assistant. I am not working on my associates degree in programming.

Collapse

jonesey712 profile image
Monique

I didn't finish my degree, but it was Media Communications with an emphasis on Audio Production. If I were to go back, I think I would try to finish that degree.

Collapse

aritdeveloper profile image
Arit Amana

BSc in Biology, Minor in Chemistry 😄

Collapse

vaidehijoshi profile image
Vaidehi Joshi

E N G L I S H 💁🏽‍♀️

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

English seems to have really set you apart in your particular career. Learning necessary CS as you go or as a component of getting into tech deliberately seems pretty standard, but few folks would find the justification to deliberately study english any time after school.

So seems like doing things in that order is a pretty decent recipe for success.

Collapse

httpspauline profile image
Pauline

BSc in International Business Administration and a MSc in Marketing Management 😅

Collapse

arvindsridharan profile image
arvindsridharan

Whatever one has studied, the universal language is coding. Arts can get into front development. Commerce guys can code business logic.

Collapse

hecterbonha profile image
Untung So Andryanto

I studied Aerospace Engineering.

Collapse

scrabill profile image
Shannon Crabill

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design.

I mostly use my degree to make memes at this point.

Collapse

boblwebdesign profile image
Robert Lipscomb

BS in Electrical Engineering and an MBA. I graduated high school in 1980. I think if I had graduated 5 or 6 years later I would have studied CS. Computer Science before 1980 meant you would probably be sitting in an air-conditioned environmentally controlled room with a bunch of mainframes doing who knows what.

Collapse

murkrage profile image
Mike Ekkel

BS in UX/UI Design which isn't too far off from what I do right now since it's the same industry, just different work. Wouldn't trade it for a CS degree because it's given me so much knowledge and experience about great user experiences.

Collapse

kylerconway profile image
Kyle R. Conway

Oddly relevant things!

BA - Management & Theater (double major)
MA - Theatre
PhD - Fine Arts