CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Non-CS degree holders, what did you study in college?
Ben Halpern
Ben Halpern

Posted on

Non-CS degree holders, what did you study in college?

Top comments (37)

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

My official degree is: Bachelor of Arts, with a Major in Commerce and a minor in Canadian Studies.

Within "commerce" I studied a variety of business and organizational structure disciplines, with a focus on marketing.

Collapse

tonycimaglia profile image
Tony Cimaglia

I never actually finished my bachelor's, but I studied Film and Video. I've thought about going back to finish as a CS major if I can ever convince a company i work for to pay for it 😝.

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

I studied some film and video in college. Did you try to get into that industry before getting into coding?

Collapse

tonycimaglia profile image
Tony Cimaglia

I started to lose my passion for the medium the more I studied. Once I realized what working in that industry was actually gonna look like (90hr weeks, no time for family, etc.) I was completely off the idea.

Collapse

theslamanderson profile image
Chris Anderson

Not sure if this counts, but I have both an associate's and bachelor's degrees in Information Technology. There were programming courses in the curriculum. I initially had a career as an IT Manager but decided I preferred writing code and made the change.

Collapse

brendamichellle profile image
Brenda Michelle

I have a BA in Sociology 🙂

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Any parts of a sociology degree help you in software development today?

Collapse

brendamichellle profile image
Brenda Michelle

Maybe the research I had to do during uni 🤔. It has helped me in self-learning a lot. I do a lot of research to find the best resources to build my own curriculum.🙂

Collapse

hmboyles profile image
holly boyles

I was a registered dental assistant. I am not working on my associates degree in programming.

Collapse

jordanaf808 profile image
jordanaf808

Liberal Arts Yo! (associates degree...)

Collapse

sheriffderek profile image
sheriffderek • Edited

My official degree is BFA: "Bachelor of Fine Arts." But it hasn't helped me to tell anyone that. In fact, I got more jobs when I took it off my resume. I studied painting and printmaking at CCA(C) in Oakland, CA.

Collapse

molly profile image
Molly Struve 🦄 (she/her)

Aerospace Engineering 🚀

Collapse

andrewbaisden profile image
Andrew Baisden

Wow so you worked on the development of aircraft and spacecraft. The perfect field for a programmer. Reminds me of the NASA Perseverance rover which just landed on Mars and all of the programming that it must have taken to get it there.

Collapse

evforija profile image
kristin ides

Liberal Studies with an emphasis in journalism!

Collapse

ladykerr profile image
Kedasha

I studied Social Work in college and have worked primarily in Government & non-profit industries

Collapse

murkrage profile image
Mike Ekkel

BS in UX/UI Design which isn't too far off from what I do right now since it's the same industry, just different work. Wouldn't trade it for a CS degree because it's given me so much knowledge and experience about great user experiences.

Collapse

jonesey712 profile image
Monique

I didn't finish my degree, but it was Media Communications with an emphasis on Audio Production. If I were to go back, I think I would try to finish that degree.

Collapse

lenniecottrell profile image
Lennie

Surprised to see that I'm the first music major to respond. When I started I thought I would be unique for my background. Turns out it's pretty common for music majors to pivot to a career that actually provides sustainable income (unless you're a symphony musician, but that's not most of us). Music can still be what I do in my free time, but I need something else to pay the bills!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

I studied Middle Childhood education in college. After college, I got my masters in special education.

Collapse

chikichew profile image
Nicki (she/her)

Late to the party, but still adding mine to the mix:
Japanese studies (aka Japanology) as a major and business administration as a minor 😄