CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Christine
Christine

Posted on • Originally published at chrissycodes.hashnode.dev on

Beyond Code: Creative Contributions to Open Source

Image description

You Made it!

Hey, welcome back! You have survived the Pick the open-source projects of your dreams challenge in your new journey.

Brad Pitt in a red shirt dancing

Whoa Whoa! Were not out of the woods just yet! Theres just one tiny little obstacle standing in your way: you don't know how to code.

Spongebob sweats and blinks nervously

1. Before you start freaking out. I just want to say this. You dont have to be a coding genius to contribute. Trust me, I use to think this way too until I started contributing. There are countless ways to make meaningful contributions to an open source project beyond just writing code. So step away from your computer (for the moment) and let's explore the many ways you can contribute to your favorite open source project without code.

Lizzo saying "Let's Go!" with confidence

Types of creative contributions to open source

• Documentation: If youre like me, a lover of writing and all things text-based, you can do things like revising grammar typos in the repositorys README file and other documents. This is what I did when I first started my open source journey. Itll not only help you improve your written communication skills but also teach you how to tailor written content to a specific audience. If you need more tips on how to work with documentation, check out this post by Lisa Tagilaferri.

• Design and user experience: Are you a design genius, a UX mastermind, or just love to draw? You can use these skills to create things like a wireframe for a specific feature on the project, the interface for a section on its website, or logos like this one:

Smiling orange bunny with glasses

So fluffy! 😊

Dont be afraid to use your design skills. Youll never know who you might impress. If you need more tips, check out this post by Jeff Macharyas.

• Marketing and outreach: If you are a social media expert or lover, grab a chair and sit right over here at the open source projects table. Whether it's by crafting the perfect post on Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, or YouTube video to promote the open source project, these skills are perfect. Need more tips? Check out this post by Pam Baker.

• Project management and organization: Love using tools like Notion to organize your life? Or just awesome with project management? Then you, my friend, have a major role to play. The success of an open source project relies heavily on how its organized, so if you can create effective project plans, coordinate tasks, and/or can clearly communicate reminders/ deadlines to your team, please join us. Without your help, thered be total chaos.

Timon and Pumbaa from Lion King are screaming

Right there with you Timon and Pumbaa!

Conclusion

So there you have it, folks even if you don't know a single line of code, you can still make meaningful contributions to an open source project. Whether it's through design, marketing, or project management, there's a place for everyone in the open source world. Now get out there and start making your mark on your favorite open source project.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9WgUD23Jr5gMsCu9rl/giphy.gif

Thank you for reading this post. Follow me on Hashnode to receive updates!

Credits

Brad Pitt dancing by GIF

Bunny Logo by EddieHub

Lets Go reaction by BET

Spongebob sweats by GIF

Talking Gummy Bears by Haribo

The Lion King by GIF

Latest comments (0)