CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for How do you stay motivated to learn and progress?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

How do you stay motivated to learn and progress?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

In the thread below, tell us how you stay motivated to learn and progress.

Top comments (49)

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Having a strong why. One of the things I've learned is that a strong why makes it possible to tolerate any how something that is thrown my way.

Another thing that helps me stay motivated is just listening to podcast interviews from other devs. When I need a motivation boost, I listen to an episode of CodeNewbie. Hearing other devs talk about their stories and what it took to get them where they are now reminds me that I can do it.

Then there's listening to an fun song or music you like. My favorite motivation music is the Wonder Woman theme. The score always gets me motivated and ready to tackle anything that comes my way.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Exactly, listen to the dev podcasts help lot to stay motivatedπŸ’†β€β™€οΈ.

Collapse

ielibazz profile image
Elijah Ishaku

Well said, a strong why reminds of what makes everything worth it and you keep moving no matter what

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja
  • watching Tutorials for things above my skills to see what I can do if I learn and practice more
  • pick projects that are about topics I like or find really useful

But all in all I struggle with motivation and hope Codeland helps a bit :)

Collapse

teniola profile image
Teniola Olowookere

I resonate heavily with the watching tutorials of things that are above my skills part. It makes me more motivated; more like an adrenaline rush?

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

Yeah exactly! Maybe it's because of the overexcited techno music people use in the background as well. 😁

Thread Thread

teniola profile image
Teniola Olowookere

Yes 🀣🀣 It gets me all excited and bubbly!

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini

Sometimes, I get tired and feels like I don't want to do it anymoe likewise. But I stay motivated cauz, I want to achieve my targets. Everything I want to do depends on my career. Therefore I stay motivated.πŸ™Šβ€‹πŸ€­β€‹

Collapse

silviaespanagil profile image
Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

I would say two things:

• My goals: I always try to remember myself why I have choose this path for me. If I'm feeling to overwhelmed I give myself time just to fuel up
  • Looking back: One of my favourite exercises is to look back to exercises I've done just to see all I've move forward. That is such a motivator and a REAL reminder that I'm growing
Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

I have been following several dev communities. So that I'm always seeing the new things which make myself to have a curiosity, thinking and questioning that how they did that thing, such thing exciting in this world, how possible it be?? etc. Then I start to follow up the tutorials if exists or else I'll google it. Exploring and Doing Experiments are kept me motivated. So I will never ever stop searching and experimenting.

Collapse

mariasilva_dev profile image
Maria Silva

Learning to code at home with a self paced workshop can be really isolating. One of the things I started doing was listening to The freeCodeCamp podcast, stories like "from successful plumber to full-time developer" are so inspiring! Those stories keep me going! Another thing I recently started doing was participating in #100DaysofCode to keep myself accountable and to keep going everyday.

Collapse

mariessad profile image
mariessad • Edited

I have to break into tech to live the life I want! So I am motivated because to me there are no other options. I have to work hard and keep going to reach my goal of getting my first Developer role, and then continue on learning forever because that is the life of a Dev.

ALSO, it's important to take breaks so you don't burn yourself out! There is seemingly a never-ending amount of things to learn, take your time. Progress happens with slow and steady work over time.

Collapse

gulshanaggarwal profile image
Gulshan aggarwal

I feel failed sometimes or losses motivation but reading people journey in the tech, their struggles always inspires me. I even ask to myself if they can do at the age of 35 or 40 then, I'm just 21 why I can't? These line charges up me & I become more focused because of the new energy.

Collapse

cherron profile image
Cherron

The main thing that helps me is making it a point to do something code-related everyday for at least 5 minutes. Whether it's pushing a commit, researching a framework, or reading through some documentation, that 5 minutes usually turns into much more. I also try to engage in various dev communities and seeing everyone achieve their goals is a huge inspiration and motivation.

Collapse

latindev profile image
Jay

My motivation to learn and progress in software engineering, starts with keeping a routine. I am currently going through the #100Devs program called "Learn with Leon" on Twitch where we are encouraged to use electronic "flashcards" (Anki) to remember concepts, use "spaced repetition" to continually review your flashcards daily and reinforce our learning, to code at least two hours daily if your schedule and family obligations allow it and learn how to ask for help when we are stuck either on Discord, Twitter or Stack Overflow.

On days where I am not motivated, this routine for me helps me remember my purpose which is getting back into the tech field and keeps me on track.

Collapse

mreves profile image
Matt Eves

Having a project / goal that I'm working on has helped motivate me, especially where it is a group project and not just my own. This has meant I'm accountable to others which has added motivation. The trade-off is I work full time in a non-coding career, with a young family and all the associated "stuff" that comes with those things so the trick is finding the healthy balance between everything πŸ˜…

Collapse

asbourlotos profile image
Alexander Bourlotos

I am employed as a dev but I wouldn't say that I'm doing anything currently that makes me feel fulfilled in life. Not just for myself, but I'd like to put value into the most time consuming part of my day. I want to be able to be proud of the things I do so I can talk with confidence and pride to others that show interest.

Learning new things always fills me with a sense of accomplishment, so I keep doing it!

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

I am motivated to learn and progress remembering what first motivated me to start this learning path. I think about that moment and I also think about the vision I have of myself after finishing this learning process, where I want to go, where I want to work and what I want to do. I also think about my family, since they are my main motivation to move forward.

Collapse

bobbytrejo profile image
Bobby Trejo

Honestly at times it can be hard to stay motivated. But I feel its best to have a goal or something in mind that you are working towards to help drive you to succeed.

Currently doing a self-taught route and utilizing online resouces mostly free, but some paid as well.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

I stay motivated because I have kind of a clear goal where I want to be in the next months / next year. And only consistency is the key to achieve my dreams.
πŸ™ƒ