CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Kelsey Hightower

[Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Kelsey Hightower

CodeNewbie Staff on June 16, 2022

About This Fireside Chat This year at CodeLand 2022, @saron β€” Founder of CodeNewbie and Disco β€” will be joined by Kelsey Hightower (Prin...
Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

can you share some advice to overcome imposter syndrome when you are starting out?

Collapse

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav • Edited

Yeah seriously, I also suffer from this. I joined tech industry in mid 2019, its been 3 years doing job as developer but still I sometimes feels I don't know anything. πŸ˜…

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

Yes, I agree, I'm in the middle of a career transition from mechanical engineering to software development and I'm having a hard time ignoring my imposter syndrome and just apply for jobs. I feel I still need to master the Fundamentals before applying.

Thread Thread

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav

Keep moving forward mate!, I feel like we learn by doing only, with time we'll be masters.
So the thing is we cant be 100% ready for anything, so just get whatever we have or we know to start the job and just jump in. Try- if fail then prepare and try again.

Recursive leap of faith πŸ˜„

Thread Thread

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav

And I saw your github profile and i have to tell you that's a great github profile page.
And your tech stack is awesome.

Collapse

juadeb1 profile image
JUATUMπŸ‘¨πŸ½β€πŸ’»πŸŽΉπŸ¦

I have this issue. I have been battling this for over 3 months. I can't seem to get out of that mental space that i am not good enough and it sure does impede productivity and the temerity to find entry level jobs. I know i should be talking to a professional but i also know itΚ»s common so any suggestions like books or articles would be welcomed

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

yes, I feel the same way but what helped me was just talking to a professional and decussing ways to overcome them. In addition, I think reading this book called "Feeling Great" by Dr. David D. Burns,M.D. has helped me feel better and gave me solutions on dealing with my issues.

Thread Thread

juadeb1 profile image
JUATUMπŸ‘¨πŸ½β€πŸ’»πŸŽΉπŸ¦

Thank you. Checking it out.

Collapse

stk_79 profile image
Sarthak Pati

Yes same ques from my side too.
Like i love open source,But i have a feeling that i might not be so good to start it ri8 now.
Plz guide some tips.

Collapse

shez_anne profile image
sheree morphett

Do you feel that the programming employers are beginning to put an importance on "formal" university papers or is it more focused on demonstrable skill set and portfolio? Where do you think networking factors into a newbie breaking into this type of employment?

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

What advice do you have to people from underdeveloped countries who are passionate about tech but faced with challenges, lots of them? For instance power outage is enough problem to discourage someone, then, most people do not really understand what you are driving at.

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

What advice do you have for newly coding bootcamp grads?

Collapse

eshelton98 profile image
Erik Shelton

What do you feel is most important for a junior's first role that helps them grow the most, such as having a mentor or being pushed into new scenarios that happen while employed as a few examples.

Collapse

mariessad profile image
mariessad

Thanks for sharing your experience! What advice do you have for people trying to get their first job in tech who come from a non-tech background?

Collapse

kyemasa profile image
Kyem

Hi Kelsey! Thank you for your time! What's the most exciting thing you've learned and how has it changed or impacted you in some way?

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

Do you sometimes think back to your beginnings? How difficult it was to get started? Does that still affect you in any way?

Collapse

jimmy706 profile image
Dung Dang

How do you apply minimal lifestyle on your job and on your personal life?

Collapse

ramirez_a profile image
Alejandro Ramirez Jr.

"I want to feel but I am tapped out". I feel this so much.

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

β€œMake me respect me tomorrow morning”

Definitely a quote to live by.

Collapse

barkh22g profile image
G. Barkhuff

How do you know when it is time to switch to a new job?

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars PluΔ£is

What do you think - which is more important - experience or knowledge (or both equally)?

Collapse

codewithbuikem profile image
Kalu Victor

do you think chasing a degree in cs is important

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Hi Kelsey! Great to hear your talk and background! I had a friend who went the same certification route in ATL around 2001 or so. Small world! His career took off as well. I actually knew several high school class mates who went the certificate route and started their own companies to great success. Definitely the way to go at the time. My path was different, but c'est la vie. All it means, is there are many ways to make it. Like you said in your talk, find a thing and community you like and that will be your cohort during your near-career to lean on be leaned on. Thanks for your insights!

What would you tell someone who's in tech, but feels pigeon-holed in an older area for 15+ years and wants to change into something fresh and new? Thank you!

Collapse

pramitsingh0 profile image
Pramit Singh

How do you network with people? the right people? I have googled this question many a times, but haven't found a satisfied answer. I guide from the expert himself will be really appreciated. Thanks for the awesome session team!

Collapse

yamcodes profile image
Amy

Thank you so much for speaking with us! I'm wondering if you have any insight into the (often dreaded) tech interview process, including how you've seen it change since you started out, and maybe any ways you'd like to see it evolve in the future to better create a more diverse tech workforce.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

Your story is so inspiring. This talks seems like the perfect start for the CodeLand Conference, great choice.

Collapse

divyanshpingle profile image
Divyansh Pingle πŸ‘Ύ • Edited

You said about not giving up till it finally clicks . As a student I need to explore different technology domains so that I can finally figure out what my interests are and what I want to continue with . But so far , doing this I am not able to entirely focus on one particular thing and always wander around elsewhere if , I get stuck. You must have a similar kind of experience during your early-career days , what did you do to find the right thing which worked out for you . Please guide me so that I can do the same .

Collapse

hunghvu profile image
Hung Vu

Hi Kelsey, it is great to hear about your experience. I have a question.

One can do many thing, from setting up Kubernetes, to create a website, or deploying network system. It's great to combine different technologies to form up a solution. However, it may feel hard to fully focus on one thing if you are not completely interested in (e.g., become a cloud expert). Being a jack of all trade may not be enough to survive in this industry (or even start out).

With that said, how should people with "generalist" mindset define a pratical goal / pathway so they can start out and further advance in career?

Collapse

elzbthxo profile image
Elizabeth

Can you talk a little more about Developer Advocacy?? This is a role I haven't heard much about.

Collapse

taurist profile image
Tauri StClaire

Thank you Kelsey!

I appreciate what you had to say about "deep learning" when it comes to learning a new trade.

I feel you apply this deep reflection to everything you do!
whenever friends approached you with difficult community issues, asked questions about your stance, etc.
You looked at the context, did research, and self-reflected.

Tying in the chat about "celebrating your misteaks," it's never about doing it "right" and how people expect, it's about being authentic about where you're coming from, and conscientious as you navigate

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

It was mentioned that you surround yourself with people that want to see you succeed. As someone who is starting out my career in tech, how would one actually achieve this at a deeper level? I think the tech community is already a great support environment, but we are all respectively limited to our bandwidth of attention and resources-we can only pay attention to so much and so many at a given point. What do we do to make ourselves worthy of this deep attention? Inversely, how and when do we choose to start to personally invest in others on the same level?

Collapse

jjakbie profile image
kryptosjay • Edited

My major problem as a tech newbie is not knowing where to start and no proper direction, I love everything about tech but not knowing where to start at all.
Good ideas and all sometimes it affects me negatively,
Do you think there is a way to fight this?

Collapse

luiscastillokc profile image
Luis Castillo

Kelsey, I'm loving this conversation. Very great advice for us new developer.

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

I agree!

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

It was mentioned that you surround yourself with people that want to see you succeed. As someone who is starting out my career in tech, how would one actually achieve this at a deeper level? I think the tech community is already a great support environment, but we are all respectively limited to our bandwidth of attention and resources---we can only pay attention to so much and so many at a given point. What do we do to make ourselves worthy of this deep attention? Inversely, how and when do we choose to start to personally invest in others on the same level?

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan • Edited

Just wrote a post on the keynote and shared a sketchnote that summarizes it if useful. The post has a link to a high-resolution version of the image that is easier to read, print or view on a 4K display.

Sketchnote

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Woahh..!! Awesome!!😍😍😍

Collapse

marceloarraes profile image
Marcelo Arraes Teixeira

Hi! I was watching the interview with this great guy yesterday but today when i come finish watching i could't find it. Can anyone point me to the interview between sara and the Kelsey Hightower please?

Collapse

ken82578163 profile image
Zara Kennedy

I recently started coding and I've been at it for almost 6 months and it still feels like I know nothing. I've also not been able to reach out to people with similar interest and it's been a downer for me

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Great conversation! Loved it.

Collapse

carolineschettler profile image
carolineschettler

How would you summarize Kubernetes in just a sentence or two for someone who is unfamiliar with it?

Collapse

blarerobinson profile image
Blare Robinson • Edited

Do you have any recommendations on which platform to study (i am a c# jr dev)

i currently utilize Pluralsight

Collapse

madelene profile image
Madelene Campos

This was a fantastic chat. Thank you so much.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

what is your advice when we get stuck at some point during learning?

Collapse

elic4vet profile image
elic4vet

Any advice for new devs without computer Science degree ?

Collapse

elic4vet profile image
elic4vet

What advice do you have for the new developers without Computer Science degree?

Collapse

codewithfan profile image
Stefan

Thank you for providing wisdom and knowledge at the fireside chat!

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars PluΔ£is

I see self in some parts of Kelsey's story, which is really nice. ;)

Collapse

Luis Castillo

Very true, I can relate to this answer. In the beginning nothing makes sense and now when I go back to go over again, things click better.

Collapse

jayda15 profile image
Jessica D

That story πŸ’” Thank you so much for sharing that

Collapse

ramirez_a profile image
Alejandro Ramirez Jr.

"I want to feel but I am tapped out". I feel this. Thanks for that moment.

Collapse

Luis Castillo

Love that strategy going over the past, those skills that will not be going away (SQL).

Collapse

pablohe78730909 profile image
Pablo Hernandez

What a motivational story, I also feel that the playing field should be more level for those that are part of very knowledgeable Latino community that is Dedicated, Ethical and Driven potential employee.

Collapse

ornevirardi profile image
Orne Virardi

Kelsey your story is SO relatable, is wonderful to see successful people with similar stories! Thank you!

Collapse

ceciliapina profile image
ceciliapina

Great conversation. You provided a lot of ease to a newbie to the tech industry!

Collapse

ifeoomaaa profile image
ify beke

Thank you for the discussion,I had this pressure that time isn't by my side. Now I know better

Collapse

anamonteiro430 profile image
Ana Monteiro

What "stable technologies", that may be overlooked by early-career developers, do you personally recommend learning? πŸ’»

Collapse

mjs94080 profile image
MacKenzie

wow...truth about having to be above average if you're a person of color!

Collapse

tejender_upadhyay profile image
TEJENDER UPADHYAY

Inspirational and Amazing!!

Collapse

brianhhough profile image
Brian H. Hough | brianhuff.eth

Big fan of Kelsey Hightower's tweets!! Really great talk so far with him and Saron 😊

Collapse

jazmendoza11 profile image
Jazmin Mendoza

Hi Kelsey, what is one regret you had during your tech career that affected your progress and what did you learn from that mistake?

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop

I didn't know how much I needed this chat. Really great!

Collapse

rashidatjay14 profile image
Rashidat Jimoh

Very great conversation so far, I’d like to hear your thoughts on imposter syndrome

Collapse

stk_79 profile image
Sarthak Pati

How to manage an online presence and be active on Twitter/LinkedIn/Github/Open Source Communities etc along with college and self-studies especially in building technical skills.

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

How and What to learn
1- Learn databases (SQL)
2-Pick open source projects in your area of interest.
3- Get deeper in what you are currently doing at work, if it relates to Tech.

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

I love the line "Tech does not replace humans".

Collapse

billplantz profile image
Bill Plantz

I applaud your stance on web3 and specifically the gaps in society where people need to hope on crypto. Couldn't agree more.

Collapse

christopheraaron_ profile image
Christopher Aaron

You mentioned showing our story and personality through our code. Can you provide some examples for us?

Collapse

dougwaldron profile image
Doug Waldron

Thanks, Kelsey and Saron, that was a great conversation!

Collapse

alyssha profile image
Alyssha

Thanks so much for sharing! Great discussion!

Collapse

amaraee profile image
Amaraee

Is it important to go to college for 4 years to study computer science just so you can become a web developer?

Collapse

rzuick profile image
Rebecca Z

I appreciate you talking about emotional bandwidth and how it's important to set boundaries.

Collapse

srivera12 profile image
Sarah Rivera

Thank you so much for the great stories and the wonderful and thoughtful advice!

Collapse

anamonteiro430 profile image
Ana Monteiro

What would be the open-source project you're more invested in and passionate about right now? I loved the chat, it was really inspiring and full of useful advice, thank you! 😊

Collapse

Luis Castillo

"You are not your job, technology doesn't replace humans" - Kelsey Hightower.

I'm 100% with you.

Collapse

techgirl007 profile image
TechGirl007

Kelsey, how do you handle unrealistic expectations by an employer and management?

Collapse

nakedgrammer profile image
Sea Dub

What an amazing moment to be able to change someone's perspective like that. Love that story!

Collapse

Luis Castillo

"You are not your job, technology doesn't replace humans" - Kelsey Hightower. I'm 100% with you.

Collapse

rohithsreedharan profile image
Rohithaditya

Can you guys share your Experience in Coding ?

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

Wow, so many good thoughts! Really like that talk, good start πŸ™‚

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

This is very interesting

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Heyo Kelsey! Excellent chat with Saron. Thanks for being here with us at CodeLand today.

Question: If you could go back in time and do one thing differently in your career, what would it be?

Collapse

essbee808 profile image
Sheena

What are some tips/strategies for overcoming imposter syndrome?

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

The reality of years of experience has not changed :)

Collapse

hatricia profile image
Hattie

I love that. "This is my craft."

Collapse

ricasika profile image
Ri$a Sika #CatchUpCrew

Inspiring !

Collapse

moonshoeskelly profile image
moonshoeskelly

The advice on where to go with professional development was awesome. I am adding SQL to my "things to learn" list!

Collapse

rafaelbpires profile image
Rafael B. Pires

Great talk Kelsey, very insightful!

Collapse

victor_gp profile image
VΓ­ctor GonzΓ‘lez Prieto

Super interesting and with some very actionable advice, thank you both!

I'd love to hear/read more about how Kelsey uses Wardley maps for career planning.

Collapse

klove2016 profile image
KJ

What was the best mistake you made (career-wise or personal) and what did you learn/take from it?

Collapse

mannyd profile image
MannyD

Just remember.. Geordi La Forge became the Chief Engineer on the Enterprise!!

Collapse

floatingdynamo profile image
Sridhar Maskeri

Amazing!! 😊

Collapse

tash925 profile image
Tash925

Very great chat and so inspiring!

Collapse

alexpenadev profile image
Alexander Pena

A+ Keynote the strategies on investing your time learning and how to spend emotional bandwidth pricelessπŸ˜€.

Collapse

peacesandy profile image
Peace Sandy

Please can you share some advice on how to overcome imposter syndrome

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

When you get the forLoop to eventually work , give a small dance :)

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

Inspirational :)

Collapse

kabircse10 profile image
Kabir Hossain

Happy CodeLand 2022