CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Kelsey Hightower
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on • Updated on

[Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Kelsey Hightower

About This Fireside Chat

This year at CodeLand 2022, @saron — Founder of CodeNewbie and Disco — will be joined by Kelsey Hightower (Principal Software Engineer at Google Cloud and a respected voice in cloud computing and open source) for an informal but enlightening fireside chat aimed at benefitting early-career software developers. You can find Kelsey on Twitter here.

Talk Recording

🌈 After experiencing this fireside chat, please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments below! We also encourage you to leave questions for Kelsey in this thread — he might address them live during his panel!

This fireside chat will be presented as part of CodeLand 2022 (June 16 & 17, 2022). It will be streamed as part of the conference, and added to this post as a recorded video.

Top comments (98)

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

can you share some advice to overcome imposter syndrome when you are starting out?

Collapse

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav • Edited

Yeah seriously, I also suffer from this. I joined tech industry in mid 2019, its been 3 years doing job as developer but still I sometimes feels I don't know anything. 😅

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

Yes, I agree, I'm in the middle of a career transition from mechanical engineering to software development and I'm having a hard time ignoring my imposter syndrome and just apply for jobs. I feel I still need to master the Fundamentals before applying.

Thread Thread

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav

Keep moving forward mate!, I feel like we learn by doing only, with time we'll be masters.
So the thing is we cant be 100% ready for anything, so just get whatever we have or we know to start the job and just jump in. Try- if fail then prepare and try again.

Recursive leap of faith 😄

Thread Thread

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav

And I saw your github profile and i have to tell you that's a great github profile page.
And your tech stack is awesome.

Collapse

juadeb1 profile image
JUATUM👨🏽‍💻🎹🦍

I have this issue. I have been battling this for over 3 months. I can't seem to get out of that mental space that i am not good enough and it sure does impede productivity and the temerity to find entry level jobs. I know i should be talking to a professional but i also know itʻs common so any suggestions like books or articles would be welcomed

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

yes, I feel the same way but what helped me was just talking to a professional and decussing ways to overcome them. In addition, I think reading this book called "Feeling Great" by Dr. David D. Burns,M.D. has helped me feel better and gave me solutions on dealing with my issues.

Thread Thread

juadeb1 profile image
JUATUM👨🏽‍💻🎹🦍

Thank you. Checking it out.

Collapse

stk_79 profile image
Sarthak Pati

Yes same ques from my side too.
Like i love open source,But i have a feeling that i might not be so good to start it ri8 now.
Plz guide some tips.

Collapse

shez_anne profile image
sheree morphett

Do you feel that the programming employers are beginning to put an importance on "formal" university papers or is it more focused on demonstrable skill set and portfolio? Where do you think networking factors into a newbie breaking into this type of employment?

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

What advice do you have to people from underdeveloped countries who are passionate about tech but faced with challenges, lots of them? For instance power outage is enough problem to discourage someone, then, most people do not really understand what you are driving at.

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

What advice do you have for newly coding bootcamp grads?

Collapse

eshelton98 profile image
Erik Shelton

What do you feel is most important for a junior's first role that helps them grow the most, such as having a mentor or being pushed into new scenarios that happen while employed as a few examples.

Collapse

mariessad profile image
mariessad

Thanks for sharing your experience! What advice do you have for people trying to get their first job in tech who come from a non-tech background?

Collapse

kyemasa profile image
Kyem

Hi Kelsey! Thank you for your time! What's the most exciting thing you've learned and how has it changed or impacted you in some way?

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Do you sometimes think back to your beginnings? How difficult it was to get started? Does that still affect you in any way?

Collapse

jimmy706 profile image
Dung Dang

How do you apply minimal lifestyle on your job and on your personal life?

Collapse

ramirez_a profile image
Alejandro Ramirez Jr.

"I want to feel but I am tapped out". I feel this so much.

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

“Make me respect me tomorrow morning”

Definitely a quote to live by.

Collapse

barkh22g profile image
G. Barkhuff

How do you know when it is time to switch to a new job?

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars Pluģis

What do you think - which is more important - experience or knowledge (or both equally)?

Collapse

codewithbuikem profile image
Kalu Victor

do you think chasing a degree in cs is important

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Hi Kelsey! Great to hear your talk and background! I had a friend who went the same certification route in ATL around 2001 or so. Small world! His career took off as well. I actually knew several high school class mates who went the certificate route and started their own companies to great success. Definitely the way to go at the time. My path was different, but c'est la vie. All it means, is there are many ways to make it. Like you said in your talk, find a thing and community you like and that will be your cohort during your near-career to lean on be leaned on. Thanks for your insights!

What would you tell someone who's in tech, but feels pigeon-holed in an older area for 15+ years and wants to change into something fresh and new? Thank you!