CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Tracy Chou
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

[Keynote] A Fireside Chat with Tracy Chou

About This Fireside Chat

This year at CodeLand 2022, @ben β€” Creator of DEV & Co-Founder of Forem β€” will be joined by Tracy Chou for an informal but enlightening chat. Tracy is an entrepreneur and software engineer known for her work advocating for diversity and inclusion in tech. She is currently the founder and CEO of Block Party, which builds tools for online safety and anti-harassment. You can find Tracy on Twitter here.

As you'll see, their conversation is anchored by the notion of being an idealist in the tech field. We have a feeling this describes a number of you!

Talk Recording

🌈 Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments about the subject matter of this fireside chat in the comments below!

Note that Tracy will not be participating in a live panel and therefore will not be able to answer your questions live.

This fireside chat will be presented as part of CodeLand 2022 on June 17, 2022. It will be streamed as part of the conference, and added to this post as a recorded video.

Top comments (8)

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Thanks for your talk, Tracy! Very insightful! Times of growth can cover many blemished in a company's culture. This is true in many industries that have experienced growth as well as tech. Thanks for bringing up this point! When the money is flowing in, push-back is a lot stronger. I'm glad you're using your voice to share with others how things need indeed to change at some of the top channels in tech (Silicon Valley, etc.)

Collapse

lee profile image
Lee

Very insightful, very interesting perspectives, always learning from @triketora, so much experience - I also managed to snag that list of books (nicely colour co-ordinated πŸ€“) Great interview @ben

Did I hear right that Tracy got it on a seed round on Snap?

Collapse

amitchell05 profile image
Angela Mitchell • Edited

Thank you for sharing your perspective! How do you find balance between working hard and smart to ensure that your identity as a person feels authentic. What advice would you give to new developers who are unsure if they are developing a career that's in alignment with their needs and wants in a balanced way?

I've been told that I get in my head a lot and work hard instead of smart. I tend to have too many goals: (ex. front-end development is my emphasis area, but I'm also passionate about art and music, and I'm also wanting to explore UI design, web design, accessibility, mobile and game development). It's been overwhelming to figure out what realm to focus on while I'm working on different projects as a junior developer.

Collapse

carnegiej profile image
Carnegie Johnson

Great perspective! Thank you for sharing.

Collapse

sumitvarun profile image
SUMIT KUMAR

hello, thankyou codeland 2022

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

You are such an inspiration. Thanks Tracy, for sharing you story. I wish you all the best!

Collapse

ailanthus8 profile image
ailanthus

I hope at some point that Tracy writes a book or runs for office.

Collapse

kristenh profile image
Kristen Harman

I just wanted to say thank you, again, for sharing your story! I admire how you are using your voice and standing up for such a great cause. Truly inspiring!