CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Why are you attending CodeLand this year?

Why are you attending CodeLand this year?

CodeNewbie Staff on June 07, 2022

Hey there, CodeNewbie Community! With CodeLand 2022 coming up NEXT week (June 16 & 17, 2022 — right here on CodeNewbie Community), o...
Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I had a great time attending CodeLand last year.
I connected with some early career devs and learned a lot from the speakers! 💜

I hope this year I will meet more early career devs and learn much more from the awesome talks! 🤩
I also need some motivation boost which I believe I will get from attending CodeLand 😄

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Ayu, weird question but can I ask how you went about connecting with other dev learners at the conference last year? I'm new to coding and conferences this and would really love to build my community of other dev learners so we can encourage each other, but not quite sure how 😃 Also - thanks for sharing your posts and resources 🙏🏻

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hey Kat, thanks for reading my articles 🙏🏻😄

How did I do that last year, exactly as what you do here! 😃
Codenewbie will create threads before and more during the conference. We can drop comments and interact with each other, just like what we're doing right now 😊

I still communicate with some other devs through comment in our posts and Twitter 😃

You can always try to gather people to learn together. Maybe create a #discuss post here on CodeNewbie to throw the idea of learning together and goes from there 😊

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Ayu, thanks for the reply and all the detailed advice, it's really appreciated and a #discuss post sounds like a great idea 🙏🏻 😃 Oh, it's good to know I'm not totally off the mark here 🤣 That's nice you're in touch with other devs from here!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

CodeLand always has lots of great talks. The talks on the program this year are going to be great and are going to be diving into important topics new developers will be interested in and dealing with as they continue coding. I am also excited to connect with other developers and see what other surprises CodeLand might have in store.

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Sarah 👋🏼 "Inclusive Web Development" looks interesting (actually all the topics do!). But as a newbie I think it would be good if I could learn inclusive and accessible practices early on - as an essential dev toolkit rather than an addon.

I would like to connect with other webdev learners too 😃 It looks like you're much more experienced than me, but let's encourage and follow each other on here and Twitter if you like!

Collapse

selver profile image
selver

I'm new both in coding and at CodeNewbie community. I'm attending to get to know more about everyone and the talks :)

Collapse

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Same! This will be my first online convention and I'm not really sure what to expect but I'm super excited!!

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Me too! Not really sure how to go about it, but hoping to learn as I go and connect with others! What topics are you attending? And 👋🏼 from another regional Victorian (now living in Melbs) 😃

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Hi! I haven't really checked the schedule yet and I'm only just starting to learn how to code, I'll attend whatever is relevant I guess.

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

I'm just checking out the schedule now, so I'll message you with my picks in case we can join in together 🙂

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Yes, thanks! I'll be on as much as I can to start with since I'm still not sure what's going on 😅

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Okay so I'm thinking Inclusive Web Design Friday 4.21am

And 3.54am our time 😱 the Teaching through Code review one looks interesting.

I also like the sound of -

Building Your “Accomplishment Journal”: the What, the Why, the How - Sat morn our time 6.22am

Accessibility is not a Mystery - Playing Live at 3:43 AM Fri & On Demand at 2:40 AM Saturday (but the times 😱)

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

They all sound very beginner friendly. The timing is crazy though, I'll have to set my alarm. Do you know how do we join the talks?

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

I think it's on this link: community.codenewbie.org/codeland

And if you join the Discord you can chat, it's in a recent email

Yup, talk about an early alarm ☕️ ☕️ 🫣

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

omg thanks for this. I didn't even know this is a thing!

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

haha me too tbh, i'm kinda just making it up as I go along 🤷🏼‍♀️

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini • Edited

This is my first time. I've heard that codeland is a such a great event.Therefore um so curious to see whats going on there.Thats why I'm participting as a newbie.🙊💜

Collapse

thomasbnt profile image
Thomas Bnt

Youhouu 🔥🔥🔥🚀

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Pam from The Office saying Nice!

Collapse

predator17 profile image
alokikyadav

This is my first time attending CodeLand, I'm kind of excited and feeling like I'm a part of a community of like minded people and being a part of community keeps me motivated. Reading and listening others thoughts, journeys and experiences helps in keep moving forward, gives you different insight to learn and do things.
Looking forward to meet new friends, inspirations and Fun!! 🤩🤩🤩

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Love this, I feel the same reading other people's plans and progress - it really cheers and motivates me. Keep them coming 😃

Collapse

asbourlotos profile image
Alexander Bourlotos

I'm attending this year because I have broken into tech but only a little hap-hazardly. I have skills, but they're not refined, they have no focus and I need to direct my attention fully to an area that I'm interested in. I'm currently shifting from my current role to web development and maybe some web3. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and where they've come from in transitioning to tech!

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

I am eager to learn from others and already last year there were many great speakers, talks I felt related to. CodeLand is the perfect event for early career developers (and more experienced ones) to see other perspectives, listen to other stories, learn from each other and connect <3

There are so many whys, it would be easier to ask why not!

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

I'm an early-career software engineer and super stoked to be a part of this amazing conference! I want to hear from the people doing great work in the tech space, discover things I have never heard of before and make new friends!

Collapse

bobbytrejo profile image
Bobby Trejo

I'm joining CodeLand this year because I heard great things about it on Twitter and now that I'm currently attending. I can see why it has such a postive following. I look forward to seeing how it is next year.

Collapse

mreves profile image
Matt Eves

Joined again this year as I really enjoyed the past 2 CodeLand's I've joined - came away really motivated each time. Arrived a bit late this time due to conflicting commitments so will need to catch up with the on-demand talks 😊

Collapse

mariasilva_dev profile image
Maria Silva

I just started learning how to code a few months ago! I am attending the conference because the CodeNewbie podcast was the first coding podcast I started listening to and I found it so useful and it has kept me motivated to continue this coding journey. My favorite podcast was What are some common mistakes people make when learning to code with Ceora Ford.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera • Edited

Why 🌈CodeLand 2022

The world 🌏 I'm dealing with, is a lot different from other fields.
The technologies currently using would get changed rapidly📈 like within one minute since the great developers found new things👩‍🔬.

🌈So the CodeLand is one of the best place to share their👩‍💻 new experiments, findings and all. And I'm here to listen them😁.

🌈And also it could be the best place/platform to get to know with career developers to hear their advices and team up with to design/develop an innovative ideas💡.

🌈Also, this time CodeLand 2022 talk line up is more interested which makes me to participate😍.

Collapse

necolanch profile image
Nicholas Cruz

I am in my final year of my university and want to learn as much as possible and make the connections I can with others in the industry. This also seems to be a unique type of conference that caters the content to newer developers. That is greatly appreciated because it is difficult to find communities that are not inclusive of emerging developers. Lastly, I also appreciate the pay-what-you-want model allowing those on a limited income to attend without paying.

Collapse

randychs profile image
Randy Macdonald

Even though I teach computer science at the high school level, I still consider myself a #codenewbie. ;-) Attending CodeLand is my attempt to push myself to learn more about coding and why you all love this field so much. :-)

Collapse

rebeccahockley profile image
Rebecca Hockley

I'm a soon-to-be graduated Full Stack Dev so I'm hoping the talks will not only improve my knowledge, but inspire me too! Hoping to land my first job by the end of the year 😁

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Can't think of a better reason to attend CodeLand!

Collapse

imcarolyn profile image
Carolyn

I'm a complete coding noob but from what I understand conferences are an important way for developers to learn new skills and connect with others. So this seemed like a great opportunity to start getting into the habit and meet others who are early on in their coding journeys!

Collapse

bobbytrejo profile image
Bobby Trejo

My Codeland would be similar to how it is now. Allowing many CodeNewbies or even curious people who are unsure of what coding is and want to learn more of what Software Development is to join. I would say the cherry on top would be to get some really high up CEO's or Technolgy Influencers to join and give insight on what they feel would be the best way to break into tech from their perspective.

Collapse

ahamedr profile image
Ahamed • Edited

This is my first time attending codeLand so far its pretty exiting and great topics. I have got to know new tools that I can try out and specially I was able to connect withmore developers❤️.
Exited !

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

To soak up the knowledge of all the experienced and talented speakers presenting at the conference! Unfortunately, I could only attend today live, but I’ve learned so much already and am looking forward to watching the on-demand talks later.

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

This is my first time attending. I have seen the videos from last year Codeland. I would like to learn more about the currently tech community and careers in tech as I am starting a career as a software engineer. I also would like to inspire from leaders in tech and professionals participating in the event.

Collapse

cbid2 profile image
Christine

I’m new to the world of coding, so it is cool that there is conference dedicated to that.

Collapse

yt profile image
yt

I just graduated from a front end development intensive and am looking to see where I go can with my new skills! Starting uni as a computer major years ago but dropped out after getting discouraged. Excited to be back in the saddle and looking forward to CodeLand!

Collapse

missbabelfish profile image
Leah Godfrey

I'm here to learn anything I can and connect with other early-career devs. I love hearing other devs' stories, and seeing all the cool things everyone is working on!

Collapse

kooltheba profile image
Theba Gomez

Hi friends!! 🌈 Looking forward to my first time attending #codeLand2022 !!
I'd love to get to know more people in the community!! And you have such a great topics' agenda, so very interested in most of them 🥰
See U tomorrow! 🥳

Collapse

n3ilsentence profile image
N3il Sentence

I've been building websites for a few years (still consider myself a junior level programmer), and I work for a local art school to establish a digital arts center. My main interest for attending here is that I've been interested in accessibility questions for a long time already and keep finding myself building websites that aren't very accessible. Pulling off responsive is something I already celebrate LOL but that's so not the end goal. Why do my websites not talk more or have buttons to optimize readability etc? It bothers me.

Collapse

n3ilsentence profile image
N3il Sentence

I'll reply to myself as there's no edit option (...-button doesn't respond to my mouse clicks on Win10, Version 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit))

Another thing I'm interested in is ways to engage audiences without a strong STEM background or other "disabilities", kids, elderly, etc.

Basically though art and experimentation - getting people into a mindset of "I can break this can open and play with the settings and observe effects"... The environment of an art school allows me to take the technical aspect less seriously (good for impostor s.!) and focus more on the "let's mess around with it!"

Collapse

amaraee profile image
Amaraee

Well this is my first time attending Codeland as I just entered this amazing world of coding and I just wanted to attend an event where I could gain knowledge of good resources to help me in my journey.

Collapse

mellykid profile image
Mellykid

I found out about codeland not even 24 hrs before the event. I'm here because I want to connect with people and learn from people in the industry. My coding journey has been a lonely one and I wanted to be here for motivation to keep going. It has been a long process, but seeing people here with similar paths and interests, I feel like I'm not alone.

Collapse

dallasviars profile image
Dallas Viars

I've really ramped up learning HTML/CSS/JS this year and an acquaintance posted about Codeland on a Discord server and it sounded great. There are so many great and varied subjects I feel they will help me grow as a developer and as a person.

Collapse

pablohe78730909 profile image
Pablo Hernandez

To assist in my Journey of coding and software development. I am a bit older but truly love the community. I come from a healthcare field in which team work is the essence of success. I am looking forward to learn and assist in any and all aspects of this conference.

Collapse

slhandmade profile image
LynnieB

I am new to Codeland. As a beginner, it can be daunting joining some conferences with more seasoned coders. This seemed to be "newbie friendly" and really looked like it would appeal to me as a new coder.

Collapse

elaineaqs profile image
Elaine Aquino

To meet new friends. :)

Collapse

silviaespanagil profile image
Silvia España Gil

This is my first year as a developer and this my first opportunity to share a talk so...do I need more amazing reasons? ❤️

Collapse

divyanshpingle profile image
Divyansh Pingle 👾 • Edited

To takeaway lots of practical advice 🎯 from seasoned developers 🧑‍💻 , apply them in my dev-journey 👣 , to upskill 🚀myself and to become more active 🤩 in the community.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

to learn new things, polish myself and meet helping members.

Collapse

infopro247 profile image
infopro247

The podcast interested me.

Collapse

alyssha profile image
Alyssha

As a new early career dev I'm here to learn and absorb as much possible and am looking forward to meeting other devs! 😀

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

I learned coding in 2021 and struggle with having a good network, motivation and confidence - Codeland sounds perfect to improve these things and getting a new perspective on things.

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

I'm new both in coding and at CodeNewbie community. I'm attending to get to know more about everyone and the talks :)

Collapse

dennybiasiolli profile image
Denny Biasiolli

I'm really interested in a lot of talks this year, especially to "Next-Gen Inclusivity: How Gen Z Can Make Real Change in Tech" by Haimantika Mitra!

Collapse

nadreamer profile image
Nad

I'm attending this year because I attended in 2020 and 2021 and had a great time. The talks were all interesting and I learned a lot of new things. Looking forward to doing that again!

Collapse

dough profile image
Makondu

I want to connect with my fellow newbies and learn from the speakers and CodeLand in general because this is my first time attending this conference. Looking forward to it😁.

Collapse

elaineaqs profile image
Elaine Aquino

To get to know and be friends with awesome people. :)

Collapse

cycool29 profile image
cycool29

Just want to connect with other devs and learn stuffs from them! 😉

Collapse

rohithsreedharan profile image
Rohithaditya

To Get Energy Syrups[motivation] From the speakers, For my bright Future

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

This is my first time. I wanted to see what is it all about.

Collapse

kaitlinlewis profile image
kaitlinLewis

I have been absolutely loving the Code Newbie podcast as I have been teaching myself how to code. Can't wait to hear some amazing chats amongst amazing people!

Collapse

filipparyz profile image
Filip Paryż

It would be the first time I'm attending any CodeLand, so I'm just thrilled to be a part of this community and learn something with it! 😁

Collapse

justacodergirl profile image
justacodergirl • Edited

I hope I will get some inspirations from the event spekars.

Collapse

bkid00 profile image
bkid00

I'm a new one to the community. So wanted to participate this exciting event

Collapse

jimtornvall profile image
Jim Törnvall

Had fun last year, and this year its a nice break from work as a JR dev

Collapse

varghesejose2020 profile image
Varghese Jose

Last Year CodeLand is awesome.Learned lot from talks and networking with others.This year waiting for awesome talks

Collapse

lornar1980 profile image
Lorna

A mixture of learning through the talks and hopefully a bit of networking as well!

Collapse

gungz profile image
Agung Sidharta So

The talk, the event, the discussion, looking forward to those and maybe on top of that, I'll get some prize.

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

Honestly speaking, i am a newbie developer, just learning stuff. So, I was caught by the discussion that is for beginners.

Collapse

jkuffler profile image
Jason Kuffler

Kaizen

Collapse

geoffkatstech profile image
geoffkats-tech

Because of codeland i hv been able to understand what careers I should offer and take in the technology industry

Collapse

umacat94 profile image
Cat Girl

I like to learn from others. Hope the codeland '22 will help me to gain somthing new.

Collapse

slb2018 profile image
Sherri Burton

I'm halfway through the MIT xPRO Women's Cohort bootcamp, and I've been following CodeNewbie for a while to get motivation and encouragement!

Collapse

stweffy_88 profile image
Stephanie Poon

I'm keen to see what are the topics of interest for early career developers and to find new resources to continue my learning journey as I delve into Front End Web Development.

Collapse

jamiechannell profile image
Jamie

I'm new to coding! I'm a graphic designer who is learning front end web development. Looking forward to meeting people and getting some inspiration!

Collapse

allisonblumenthal profile image
Allison Blumenthal

I'm brand new to tech and finally dipping my toe into the world of my dear friend, Jess Lee! I'm here because of her and am so excited to become a part of this community. <3

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars Pluģis

My reason to attend - simply to improve myself and get new knowledge from best ones in tech/dev industry.
Hoping to have great time and get new friends during this event!

Collapse

anomic30 profile image
Anom Chakravorty

This is my first time. Hoping to make some dev friends soon 💖

Collapse

gargeebhatnagar profile image
Gargee Bhatnagar

To get more information about the new upcoming context and features about the community. Also it is helping in career growth.

Collapse

rebeccaokine profile image
Bex👩🏿‍💻💜

To learn and connect with people in tech all over the world.

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

This is my first codeland! I can't wait to learn from the experienced speakers here!

Collapse

brianhhough profile image
Brian H. Hough | brianhuff.eth

The talks and sessions seemed really interesting this year!! I am early in my dev career and feel like a lot of these talks resonated with me and I thought I would learn a lot 😊

Collapse

thilinianuradha profile image
Thilini_Anuradha Pelithanthri

I just want to get the experience in here, at CodeLand.

Collapse

electroholmes profile image
ElectroHolmes

Being a tech enthusiast, I felt that CodeLand is a very important, interactive way of learning the significance of Technologies around us. So I am very excited to join this event!

Collapse

lunuanaki profile image
Lunuanaki

I found the CodeNewbie podcast maybe two weeks ago and was really enjoying all the episodes and appreciating the content and decided to get signed up on the site and for the conference

Collapse

mrkrishnaagarwal profile image
Krishna Agarwal

It was great attending CodeLand last year..
I got inspired from them and also started my career.
I am very curious about this one.
Hope to enjoy CodeLand 2022
🥂🎉
Hurray!

Collapse

victor_gp profile image
Víctor González Prieto

Most of the talks are so interesting! Also because the Themes are well-chosen.

I'll have a hard time choosing what to (not) watch this next couple of days.

Collapse

nkarnes profile image
Nancy Karnes

I am new to Coding and am trying to learn as much as I can!