CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Why are you attending CodeLand this year?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

Why are you attending CodeLand this year?

Hey there, CodeNewbie Community!

With CodeLand 2022 coming up NEXT week (June 16 & 17, 2022 β€” right here on CodeNewbie Community), our team is curious to hear your "why" β€” why are YOU attending CodeLand this year? Perhaps you have a specific goal and could use some extra motivation? Or maybe you're simply excited to connect with other early-career developers? Tell us in the comments below!

CodeLand Raffle & Prizes πŸ†

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes.

More info is coming on this raffle, but for now, all you need to know is that you'll be automatically entered to win free merch from our shop β€” just for responding in this thread!

Register

If you haven't grabbed your spot at CodeLand 2022, don't wait another minute! We're so excited for this year's amazing lineup of talks, activities, and inspiration for early-career software developers and their champions. Tickets are pay-what-you-want β€” starting at $0!

>> Register for CodeLand 2022

Oldest comments (92)

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini • Edited

This is my first time. I've heard that codeland is a such a great event.Therefore um so curious to see whats going on there.Thats why I'm participting as a newbie.πŸ™ŠπŸ’œ

Collapse

thomasbnt profile image
Thomas Bnt

Youhouu πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸš€

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Pam from The Office saying Nice!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I had a great time attending CodeLand last year.
I connected with some early career devs and learned a lot from the speakers! πŸ’œ

I hope this year I will meet more early career devs and learn much more from the awesome talks! 🀩
I also need some motivation boost which I believe I will get from attending CodeLand πŸ˜„

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Ayu, weird question but can I ask how you went about connecting with other dev learners at the conference last year? I'm new to coding and conferences this and would really love to build my community of other dev learners so we can encourage each other, but not quite sure how πŸ˜ƒ Also - thanks for sharing your posts and resources πŸ™πŸ»

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hey Kat, thanks for reading my articles πŸ™πŸ»πŸ˜„

How did I do that last year, exactly as what you do here! πŸ˜ƒ
Codenewbie will create threads before and more during the conference. We can drop comments and interact with each other, just like what we're doing right now 😊

I still communicate with some other devs through comment in our posts and Twitter πŸ˜ƒ

You can always try to gather people to learn together. Maybe create a #discuss post here on CodeNewbie to throw the idea of learning together and goes from there 😊

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Ayu, thanks for the reply and all the detailed advice, it's really appreciated and a #discuss post sounds like a great idea πŸ™πŸ» πŸ˜ƒ Oh, it's good to know I'm not totally off the mark here 🀣 That's nice you're in touch with other devs from here!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

CodeLand always has lots of great talks. The talks on the program this year are going to be great and are going to be diving into important topics new developers will be interested in and dealing with as they continue coding. I am also excited to connect with other developers and see what other surprises CodeLand might have in store.

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Hi Sarah πŸ‘‹πŸΌ "Inclusive Web Development" looks interesting (actually all the topics do!). But as a newbie I think it would be good if I could learn inclusive and accessible practices early on - as an essential dev toolkit rather than an addon.

I would like to connect with other webdev learners too πŸ˜ƒ It looks like you're much more experienced than me, but let's encourage and follow each other on here and Twitter if you like!

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

This is my first time attending. I have seen the videos from last year Codeland. I would like to learn more about the currently tech community and careers in tech as I am starting a career as a software engineer. I also would like to inspire from leaders in tech and professionals participating in the event.

Collapse

geoffkatstech profile image
geoffkats-tech

Because of codeland i hv been able to understand what careers I should offer and take in the technology industry

Collapse

jkuffler profile image
Jason Kuffler

Kaizen

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

I am eager to learn from others and already last year there were many great speakers, talks I felt related to. CodeLand is the perfect event for early career developers (and more experienced ones) to see other perspectives, listen to other stories, learn from each other and connect <3

There are so many whys, it would be easier to ask why not!

Collapse

rebeccahockley profile image
Rebecca Hockley

I'm a soon-to-be graduated Full Stack Dev so I'm hoping the talks will not only improve my knowledge, but inspire me too! Hoping to land my first job by the end of the year 😁

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Can't think of a better reason to attend CodeLand!

Collapse

selver profile image
selver

I'm new both in coding and at CodeNewbie community. I'm attending to get to know more about everyone and the talks :)

Collapse

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Same! This will be my first online convention and I'm not really sure what to expect but I'm super excited!!

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Me too! Not really sure how to go about it, but hoping to learn as I go and connect with others! What topics are you attending? And πŸ‘‹πŸΌ from another regional Victorian (now living in Melbs) πŸ˜ƒ

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Hi! I haven't really checked the schedule yet and I'm only just starting to learn how to code, I'll attend whatever is relevant I guess.

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

I'm just checking out the schedule now, so I'll message you with my picks in case we can join in together πŸ™‚

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

Yes, thanks! I'll be on as much as I can to start with since I'm still not sure what's going on πŸ˜…

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

Okay so I'm thinking Inclusive Web Design Friday 4.21am

And 3.54am our time 😱 the Teaching through Code review one looks interesting.

I also like the sound of -

Building Your β€œAccomplishment Journal”: the What, the Why, the How - Sat morn our time 6.22am

Accessibility is not a Mystery - Playing Live at 3:43 AM Fri & On Demand at 2:40 AM Saturday (but the times 😱)

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

They all sound very beginner friendly. The timing is crazy though, I'll have to set my alarm. Do you know how do we join the talks?

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

I think it's on this link: community.codenewbie.org/codeland

And if you join the Discord you can chat, it's in a recent email

Yup, talk about an early alarm β˜•οΈ β˜•οΈ 🫣

Thread Thread

comfydork profile image
meddifera

omg thanks for this. I didn't even know this is a thing!

Thread Thread

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

haha me too tbh, i'm kinda just making it up as I go along πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

Honestly speaking, i am a newbie developer, just learning stuff. So, I was caught by the discussion that is for beginners.

Collapse

gungz profile image
Agung Sidharta So

The talk, the event, the discussion, looking forward to those and maybe on top of that, I'll get some prize.

Collapse

lornar1980 profile image
Lorna

A mixture of learning through the talks and hopefully a bit of networking as well!

Collapse

varghesejose2020 profile image
Varghese Jose

Last Year CodeLand is awesome.Learned lot from talks and networking with others.This year waiting for awesome talks

Collapse

thilinianuradha profile image
Thilini_Anuradha Pelithanthri

I just want to get the experience in here, at CodeLand.

Collapse

cbid2 profile image
Christine

I’m new to the world of coding, so it is cool that there is conference dedicated to that.