CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Code More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

#CNC2021 "Code More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

CodeNewbie Staff on April 15, 2021

After you've completed the pre-mission reading, comment below with your reflections on past coding sessions and future coding plans/goals....
Collapse

stratospher profile image
stratospher

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to join the challenge.

1. what has worked - maintaining a record of what I learn everyday helps me keep motivated and be consistent. I feel happy and satisfied when I code and can also learn many new things!
  2. what hasn't worked - when I take a long break from a project and then return back to it, I find it really difficult to regain the lost momentum and end up not finishing it.
  3. long term goal - crack technical interviews
  4. short term goal - get comfortable and consistent with solving coding challenges.
Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Consistency is such a great short-term goal when it comes to the larger objective of coding more! Great answer

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

I too know the struggle of taking long breaks from a project! It can be quite disheartening.

Collapse

gaming_tora profile image
Tora Jane (she/her)

Hello everyone!
I am excited and nervous about joining this challenge.

1. What has worked in the past was when I had a clear vision of what I was working on and I was learning how to do something new. Especially when there are a lot of resources available to help when I got stuck.
  2. What hasn't worked, when my requirements aren't clear and I don't really understand the technology I am using or what design pattern I am using and not having anyone to bounce ideas off of.
  3. Long term goal is to reach MVP on my current work project and find a side passion project for myself
  4. Short term goal - maybe get brave enough to find a Github project to clone and maybe contribute to.
Collapse

mcrawlings profile image
Matthew

Hello everybody!

It's been awesome reading about all of your experiences, a lot of them hit really close to home.

Very excited to be getting started with #CNC2021! Here are my pre-mission reflections:

What's working, and why?

1. Planning: whether it's breaking down steps to solve a problem or using Figma to create a mockup, planning always makes the building experience more enjoyable and less intimidating

2. Stepping Away: after learning about the diffuse mode I've learned to step away from a problem if I'm getting nowhere, rather than bash my head against it repeatedly. It's incredible how many problems I solve doing the dishes, or going for a walk

3. Breakthroughs: contrary to stepping away, there's a wonderful reward in facing a tough challenge and solving the problem attached. Whenever I feel stuck and demotivated I like to think about how I've chipped away at projects in the past and come out on top

What isn't working, and why?

1. Perfectionism: the reason this was such a problem for me was because I adopted an all-or-nothing mentality and would frequently opt for the latter. It's also ridiculous to expect myself to be writing perfect code as a beginner!

2. Lack of Clarity: the direct pain point that comes from not planning. Telling myself to, "build X" hardly ever works out, I need to clearly see all X's bits and pieces to make sense of where I'm headed

3. Delaying Feedback: this one leans a bit on the perfectionism issue. Since finding a mentor, and going through code I'm busy writing with them, I've realized that I wanted to keep it all to myself until it was 'perfect'. It's far better to be sharing throughout the building process and getting the feedback when it matters

Long-term goal:

The next 6-12 months are all about getting my first gig as a developer. Whether that's full-time, interning, or building websites for whoever needs one. Right now I split my time between working and learning; the thought of being paid to code/learn is a dream!

Short-term goal:

Over the course of this CN challege I aim to have my personal portfolio built, in React, and hosted to share with potential employers/clients.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to everyone's next update.

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

I resonate with your point 1 for what isn't working. I too am a perfectionist and tend to just give up on a project/coding session when things aren't going the way I want them to. I definitely want to have more self-compassion this go around.

Collapse

mcrawlings profile image
Matthew

I often use the mantra, "If you win you win, but if you lose you learn." Honestly now days I don't want my project to go smooth; if I can get from start to finish where everything goes perfectly then I haven't learned anything.
It's an empowering perspective.

Collapse

sjukovic profile image
sjukovic

Hi!

1. what has worked - I have finished Coursera's Machine Learning, with 98% roughly. The main reason for success is that I dedicated myself to it completely, maybe even at the cost of being with my wife. Three months of doing homeworks, actively taking notes, doing assignments. Also, Tim Corey's youtube series on .NET development about building Tournament Tracker App - I have done it by doing excercies half an hour a day, coding along with the videos, built the whole app, learned a lot, but later forgot much stuff because the course lasted several months for me.
  2. what hasn't worked - learning python on Udacity for several years, start for a few days, then didn't work on anything for a few months, than again, and again...
  3. Long term goal - to be able to build something from scratch, to sharpen my understanding of Machine Learning and Web Development.
  4. short term goal - learn React/Node/.
Collapse

sam9111 profile image
Samyuktha Ganeshkumar

Determine what has worked.

Think about the times you've been happy with what you've coded — jot down three things that went well.

• Doing lab assignments which adhere to how my profs want it
  • MyCMS-the cafeteria app I worked on during my CEF fellowship
  • The features I built for Arike

Next, jot down three reasons why that was a happy coding session.

• I liked working with the Ruby on Rails Framework and learning how to build a system that incorporates everything.
  • I got enough resources to understand what I had to do.
  • I was motivated by the fact that I might have something on my Github profile

Determine what has NOT worked.

Write down three things that you were unhappy about.

• I did not have enough time to think things through.
  • I could not understand how to turn certain algos into code
  • I assumed that I simply cannot do certain things with my knowledge at that time.

Next, write down three reasons why those unhappy things happened.

• faced Impostor syndrome because I was thinking that I am not that intelligent to grasp the concepts needed
  • Certain stuff like resolving bugs were taking too much time stressing me out since I wanted to beat the other students in finishing my webapp
  • I did not listen to classes well when my prof thought the algos

What are your long-term goals?

• To come up with quicker solutions for implementing alogrithms in the language best suited for that purpose
  • To participate in hackathons
  • To get selected for the MLH fellowship
  • To fill my Github profile with various projects

What are your short-term goals?

• Learn best coding practices like documentation
  • Learn tips and tricks for getting things done faster i.e. increasing my productivity
  • Decide on tech stacks that I would need to learn and know about the best way to learn them
Collapse

jlpanetta1681 profile image
Joseph Panetta

hello all. hope everyone is well today. I am Joe. I have been attempting to learn to code for about two years now seriously. Off and on for a few years before that.
so, what has worked? This is a tough question since I feel like nothing really has worked and that's why I am here. However in an extremely vague sense simply coding every day, be it 30 minutes or 4 hours just making myself do it consistently has helped.

What hasn't worked? my attempt to understand what I am trying to build. I often find myself getting lost researching how to make something happen or function properly. Before I know it I'm so frustrated I want to walk away.

My long-term goal is to eventually work at either NASA or Space X and contribute to the preservation of our species through software.
My short term goal is to
gain som useful experience so I ca land a job at all.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hi Joe! I feel the same way. I have a CS degree and yet I feel that I haven't been able to successfully code on my own outside of school projects and my software engineering job. I really hope this challenge can help us get through our obstacles.

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Hey Joe. I share many of the same feelings that you expressed. I've been learning to code off and on for many years and I too am hoping that this challenge gets me into a more consistent practice. Good luck to us both. 🤞🏾

Collapse

pasha profile image
Me-Pasha

Heya people!
I am quite excited to join this challenge, hope things work out +

What has worked:
I enjoyed it of course. I may have spent a lot of time in it. I learned a lot, not only about code about how to think.
why:
I had a really good source (cs50). I was using things that was know to me and was in my brain and I was able to see it through. I kinda knew the path.

What has NOT worked:
I have tried 100daysofcode, it didn't turned out well. I couldn't give it time daily, there are reason of personal and social types. I tried hackathons, in my first one, I was
a part of pretty beginner group, they turned out to be much beginner than me. Other times I couldn't participate with much enthusiasm due to the time difference. I have a lot of reasons and excuses but I wish to get above them all and get into a habit of coding daily.

Long-term goal:
To be a good Android App developer, enough good to be able to turn my ideas into apps. Get better at Java. And we'll see what the future holds.

Short-term goal:
Currently to focus on Android Studio. To be able to devote time to it and always come back. I also wish to find good tech-mates to learn together:)

Collapse

ashorta profile image
Ashorta

Hello everyone, super excited to join this challenge.

1. What has worked - following a guided course material/course platform.
  2. What hasn't worked - Not setting aside time to learn and build consistency, which makes building on top of the knowledge gained hard.
  3. Long term goal - Be productive and consistent
  4. Short term goal - Grow problem-solving muscle
Collapse

zeeatwork profile image
Zenzi

I'm cautiously optimistic about joining. I'm hoping that community support helps move me toward my goal.

1. What has helped me code more: Nothing much, frankly. I coded daily until I was about halfway through bootcamp. Then, I became exhausted and overwhelmed. I dragged my way to completion, but never felt reinvigorated. Coding daily for long periods of time has been impossible since then.

2. I've tried lots (partnering, taking courses, following tutorials, taking a coding break for a few weeks etc.,) but eventually I feel overwhelmed by the concepts and upset by my lack of perceived progress.

3. Long term goal: Find a job

4. Short term goal: Feel less overwhelmed when coding. Finish some JavaScript coursework, apply for 10 jobs even though I don't feel ready.

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

Hi Everyone!

I am using FreeCodeCamp and The Odin Project (highly recommend) as my curriculum for learning full stack JavaScript web development. I too am struggling to stay motivated. Below are my own reflections, but I see similarities in many of the other responses.

My two main successes have been making a conscious effort to make coding part of my daily/weekly routine and keeping things simple.

I get stuck and lose motivation when I go beyond the scope of the project I am asked to do. My current project is for a To Do List that is supposed to cover some basic OOP concepts such as classes, factory functions, and SOLID programming. I turned it into learning how to build an MVC program with events. It's so complicated and so much self-learning that I get overwhelmed and the successes I was having get undermined.

My goals are to get into a regular routine of programming again and focus on breaking the project into the smallest necessary problems. Then I can get small wins, stay motivated, and get to a functional app with less stalling.

In the long term I want to round out my coding fundamentals, become fluent in some frameworks, and build a capstone project that others can use and I will be proud to share. I think this will give me the motivation to start seeking a web development career (preferably one where I can work from home at least part time).

Good luck everyone and hope to continue reading your posts!

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

I have had a very similar experience with increasing the scope of my projects/tutorial exercises. Thanks for sharing.

Collapse

donokun profile image
Donovan

Hi guys! Lets do our best

What has worked:

• I think I read some people mention they've used the Pomodoro technique also but what I did was in my notes app put in a tomato emoji for every 25 minutes. Even on my laziest days after work I would at least try and get one 🍅
  • Knowing what I want to work on. Sometimes I just open VS code and don't know what to do lol. So having something I've badly designed on Figma, an idea for a project or at least something I want to learn from one of the courses I've bought gives me some guidance. I feel like it also gets me excited because I knew what I wanted to accomplish

What hasn't worked

• Not having a plan. I've mentioned up above but sometimes when I've sat down to make something I just sit there confused lol
  • Above leads me to just not building anything. I feel like if I get stuck on something I can definitely have a clue what I'd need to learn next, but than it just goes to a project graveyard.

My Long term goal:

It's pretty simple but I'd like to be writing code fulltime. I just want more time to write code to learn more as opposed to my call center job right now lol

I'd also like to make something useful for people to use within my hobbies of gaming. The idea isn't really there yet, but when it pops up in my head I'd like to have some idea of how to plan it.

My short term goal:

right now my short term goal is to definitely FINISH a project. I can't build a portfolio if I've got nothing on there

Collapse

valciic profile image
Valters

Hello, everybody!
My name is Valters and I am fairly new to coding world. I am trying different things to learn and improve, so I am quite curious to see how this challenge will go.
I must admit, I feel a bit anxious about pressing the "Submit" button for this comment, but well - what's a challenge without some nerves, right? :) So, here it goes - my raw, unedited reflection on the pre-mission questions.
Successful coding experience:

1. “Word guessing game”: o I managed to make a draft final version of the game o I was experimenting with concepts freshly learned o Learned about loops, EventListeners, etc. of JavaScript o I was happy that it was kinda working. o I had fun while working on it – I wanted to see if I can put in practice what I have learned and make something on my own. o I worked on it for a week or so. o I liked that I could see how do different concepts work in practice.
  2. Test writing for Visas Iespējas o I am doing some basic things, which I can understand o I am building on basic knowledge and tool given to me – learning to find answers on my own in documentation and online. o I have support system of VI programmers team. o I like to see the practical result of my work
  3. Website creating for “Turība” course. o I liked to see, that I can create something simple but more or less nice looking only after few months of learning programming o I liked that I could do things differently as taught in the course o It was my first experience of trying to create something from scratch. o I started to learn to look for answers online

Unsuccessful coding experience:

1. Java Bootcamp: o I couldn’t see practical application of the language o The practice project was difficult and not really interesting for me o I didn’t know for what kind of help to ask o I did simple task for basically 1 week o I didn’t feel like I am doing something useful o I was in panic; I didn’t want to “pull down” the team o I didn’t sing up for some task which I could do, e.g JavaScript code for database/table field validation o The challenges we needed to solve involved more understanding of technologies, than programming language itself o I spent some of the time just being lazy o I was not excited by Java
  2. Following tutorials: o Mainly, I don’t finish them o I don’t know what to create with the things I learn o I stop following just before things are taken to the next step, become more difficult.

Long term goals (by the end of the year – in 8 months):
• Being able to earn most of my money by coding
• Being able to work most of the time remotely
• Working on creating websites
• I would like to be able to create a simple website for somebody else on my own
• I would like to work in a supportive team

Short-term goals
• Go to my Wordpress profile and actually create something
• Improve my test-writing skills
• Start learning more advanced concepts of JavaScript

Collapse

diegopaula profile image
Diego Paula

Hi guys! My name is Diego, I'm a frustrated chemist from Brazil. I am very happy to embark on this journey with you! Feel free to talk to me if you need anything, two newbies think better than one.

-What has worked:
The consistency.
Good resources (like the CS50).
Putting personal project ideas into practice.

-What has NOT worked:
Taking very long breaks between courses and projects, resulting in the fact that when I came back from a break I didn't know as much as I used to.
Refactor my code several times and end up giving up for lack of direction.
Don't compromise and go all-in.

-What are your long-term goals?
My main goal is to be able to express myself through my code, to bring my ideas to life. I also want an entry job as a dev when I feel ready.

-What are your short-term goals?
Focus all my energies on learning, and practicing.
develop good communication, be present in environments that contribute to my growth as a dev.

-How does it relate to your long-term goals in Question 4?
I believe that learning intensively and participating in the community will give me good experiences that I can take to a work environment.

Collapse

lucitemple profile image
Luci Temple

Hello, I see some common patterns in the answers - agree with many of you!

What has worked

• Having achievable goals and a clear plan to meet them. There are various levels of this, from the bigger broader goals, to smaller milestones and tasks that work towards the goal (including setting daily intentions), and the structure to help work through these knowing that if I do A, B and C I will get to D.
  • Having support when stuck (or quality resources) that will help me get unstuck. Ideally people who know more than me, who can jump on a video call to look at my coding onscreen, a second set of eyes; but relevant clearly communicated resources like video walk throughs and tutorials can also be really good (if you can find one that matches your problem).
  • Challenge well matched to skill ability - not trying to do something completely over my head.

What hasn't worked

• The opposite of the above! e.g.
  • Trying to do stuff well beyond my ability, losing a lot of time, not understanding or knowing how to bridge the gap.
  • Lack of good support or resources, or wasting time with the wrong resources (such as out-of-date techniques and solutions).
  • Indecision and lack of clarity about path forward... particularly when struggling with new concepts, indecision about whether to do more learning/tutorial/walk-through type resources to improve my understanding of underlying concepts versus trying to apply them in practice, and whether to focus on strengthening what I have already learned or learn something new (such as Redux or backend technologies).

Long-term goals

• Learn full-stack (currently I am a beginner in front-end web development)
  • Build a solid portfolio of projects showcasing skills
  • Secure a quality part/time job at a company with a great workplace culture and support to skill up along a career path.

Short-term goals

• Become confident with React.js & complete some more tutorial projects
  • Learn basics of Redux
  • Complete 3 sprints of a volunteer web app I am working on (which uses React & Redux).
Collapse

abigailontech profile image
Abi

Hi All, i'm super excited to be working on the code more challenge!

1. What has worked? Producing code the proivded an end result I was happy with - keeping me motivated to keep learning. Daily coding has kept me interseted in the topics that i'm learning. Following a guided course has allowed me to systematically work through the topics that I wil require to become a Front-end developer.
  2. What hasn't worked? Trying to learn too much too quickly, not taking in the full amount of information i'm learning and encouraging burnout. Putting too much pressure on myself to not make mistakes even though i'm still new and learning. I don't feel as though i'm going to be good enough to become a developer so I sabotage my efforts.
  3. What are your long-term goals? I want to start a front-end developer role ad keep developing my skills as a developer.
  4. What are your short-term goals? I want to finish the front-end developer course on codecademy and ensure that i'm networking to get a new role.

Thank you all, and I can't wait to join you all on this challenge!!!

Collapse

minnake profile image
Minna Keinonen

Hey, this is my first time joining a coding challenge and I'm excited to join this.

1. What has worked: doing a project with a team, support from team members and see what we have made together
  2. What hasn't worked: trying to learn and do a hard project alone
  3. Long term goal: get a junior web developer job in 6-12 months, get a habit of code every day and learn i.e. React.
Collapse

marshmadness94 profile image
Marshall Pritchett

Hello fellow developers! I'm excited to join the challenge and look forward to chatting with you all as we Code More!

1. What has worked in the past for me is setting an ultimate goal, breaking it into manageable sub-goals and setting a timeline to complete those goals. I find that I work better with a deadline, so making a schedule for myself helps me stay on task and get to coding.
  2. What hasn't worked in the past for me is not being willing to reach out. Like a lot of people new to coding, I can get discouraged when my vision becomes harder to implement and I find it difficult sometimes to roll with the punches, so to speak, and adjust my overall vision for a project. I'm also not used to reaching out for advice on a project, so I'm trying to get better about asking for help when something becomes too difficult for my current level of understanding.
  3. My long term goal is to set myself up as a freelance web developer and grow my new business as well as my client base.
  4. My short term goals involve working on my first major project as a freelancer. This means learning more about C++ and building a small (and hopefully simple) piece of software with it, and hopefully advancing to the algorithms and web application portion of the project in the next few weeks. I also hope to build a simple website for my freelance business during the challenge time frame that I can add functionality and features to in the future as my business and client base grow.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the challenge and hearing more from you all! It should be a fun couple of weeks!

Collapse

jislamtrine profile image
j_islam

Hello, everyone!

What has worked
Working for a short period (5-6 days consistently), always learning if i work. I jump onto anything i want to do.

What has not worked
Taking break from a project for a long time, working on something that i don't have any passion for, i just hid away after the short period and it take long to get back into the scene.

Long term goal
Become consistent and complete project that i take.

Short term goal
Build one or two project(to put into my portfolio and to overcome this "block/problem" i am having)

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

I really relate to this. I get stuck trying to learn too many things in a single project, take a long break, and then have a hard time building momentum again. I’m hoping this challenge can help us both get past our block and build sustainable habits for staying productive and motivated. Good luck!

Collapse

jislamtrine profile image
j_islam

Thank you. That is a huge problem actually. I am now doing it in a short bursts, but that is not the way.

Wishing you good luck as well. We need to find a solution. Hope, this is the one we are looking for.

Collapse

hazemsoliman96 profile image
HazemSoliman96

Hello everyone
1- what has worked :
I enjoyed it and there are a lot of resources available.
2- what hasn't worked:
The big breaks between courses resulting in forgetting many stuff.
3-short term goals:
code more projects and contributing to opensource projects.

Collapse

codyrothery profile image
Cody Rothery

Hey there fellow codenewbies!

What's worked for me is pursuing courses with real-world, follow-along projects. I was stuck in 'tutorial hell' for a long time and needed to learn how to stick to one subject at a time in order to really commit to learning a topic.

What doesn't work for me is passively watching tutorials, or reading books and articles without the appropriate follow-through in using the just-learned techniques. Such a waste of time!

My long-term goal is to get hired as a front-end dev.

My short-term goal is to incorporate JavaScript into my toolbox. Man, JS scares the crap out of me!

Collapse

jcastle13 profile image
Jason

Hello everyone! It's good to return to this awesome community. I agree that some of the answers have a common trend.

• What has worked - Keeping a log of some sort to track my current progress and to see what I have left to do (both short & long term).
  • What hasn't worked - Being stagnate on my coding journey, whether it's actual coding, best design practice, or the ethics behind it.
  • Long term goal - Become more active in my coding journey outside of just my work.
  • Short term goal - Finish a side project that I've been trying to begin for a while.
Collapse

sidemt profile image
sidemt

Hi! I decided to take part in this challenge. Good luck everyone!

What has worked:

• 100DaysOfCode challenge (first time): When I tried it for the first time it worked well and I was able to complete the 100 Days process. I learned a lot and felt a sense of accomplishment.
  • My first few months as a developer: Since it was my dream job! (It's been more than 2 years now and I still enjoy it, but I feel more anxious about not having enough skill or knowledge.)
  • freeCodeCamp challenges: Challenges were difficult but it was good to experience building something from brief "user stories", not with step-by-step instructions.

What has not worked:

• 100DaysOfCode challenge (second time): This time I didn't strictly follow the official rules because I felt it was too exhausting when I did so last time. But it resulted in not completing the challenge.
  • Building Google Assistant Actions: The project I wanted to build turned out to be too big for me. I was not familiar with any of the skills required.
  • A video tutorial on React: I couldn't understand which part of the code is doing what, and got confused. I think I was lacking basic knowledge.

Long-term goals?:
I want to create something as a side project in my private time.

Short-term goals?:
I have many books/video courses which I thought I want to learn someday. I want to get one of them done. I want to build confidence by completing something.

Collapse

naomiclyde51 profile image
Naomi Clyde

Hello! I recently decided to further explore my interest in front-end web and software development. Here are my responses to question #3-6:

3) Determine what has worked.
A funny customized alert message that input a question and displayed the answer on the page, a Great Gatsby website, and a JavaScript Guessing Game.

I had fun showing the basic Q&A application to my less code-savvy friends. It was a technique I learned from Pirple, and I was simply practicing what I learned. They would ask me a question, and I would program the question and an answer and record myself typing out their question and submitting it. The script was super basic, but I was just happy that I was able to get it to work. For a certificate program, one of the assignments was to build a website for your favorite book, and I chose The Great Gatsby. It has features such as a HTML/CSS-based search bar, light/dark feature, and a video clip of the trailer for the 2012 movie. I was happy that I was able to understand and follow along with the material, and I felt like I received a better understanding than when I learned it in school. Lastly, I customized a JavaScript-based Guessing Game where a number was randomized in the console, and the user inputs a number in the hopes of guessing it correctly. After hitting submit, the user received an alert message that informs them of how close they are or if they guessed correctly. I received a good grade for this final assignment and passed the course.

4) Determine what has NOT worked.
When I completed an internship program at Cognizant Softvision, we were tasked with developing a web application to aid with the interviewing process. My task was to design a mockup login page, and for the life of me, I couldn't get the shape of the login space to be in the position on the page that I desired. This was because I didn't have a good understanding of units other than pxs such as em and vw, which I eventually learned when I asked a supervisor for help. Unfortunately, this is the only significant project I can think of at this time.

5) What are your long-term goals?
Designing and developing websites with fluent HTML and CSS, and with ample knowledge of JavaScript. Explore website APIs such as Bootstrap, and JavaScript APIs such as React.js and Node.js. Understand the backend development of websites and learn such programming languages as PHP, SQL, and Ruby. Become more proficient in Python and explore other object-oriented programming languages such as C#.

6)What are your short-term goals?
Build a responsive website from start to finish using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Collapse

kkskr profile image
mastan

Things that worked

• I learn mostly by attempting to create projects that are in my mind. This way I learn new techniques/technologies along the way.
  • Choosing Python over Javascript for backend.
  • Using Django on backend as it don't require that much dependencies for every little thing & gets the job done for most of basic tasks.

Things that didn't worked

• Taking a too long break from coding due to my job.
  • Reading too much books/tutorials etc.

Long-term Goals

My long-term goal is to go full time a freelance/remote developer and leave my current job.

Short-term Goals

Short term goal is to get comfortable with creating fully decoupled backends and frontends (also with integrating them).

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

Hello everyone, I’m Iyanu
feels good to want to do this
What has worked for me

1. having a visual representation of what I want to code, be it a landing page, a web app e.t.c
  2. Turning off all distractions mostly SM
  3. having surrounding music

What hasn’t worked

1. Procrastination (I always push my work my 30mins till I run out of time)
  2. Social media distractions

hope I’ll be able to get past these during this journey 🤞🏾

Collapse

bello profile image
Bello Noah

You will I assure you

Collapse

halbardhobby profile image
Alejandro Espinosa

Hello, there.
Just found this on my feed, and went head first because i want to be a better developer.

1. What has Worked:
    • The projects were interesting, and I learnt or applied awesome skills.
    • Keeping a clear vision about the project and my goals.
    • Being open to alternatives to the way I do things.
  2. What didn't work:
    • Life happens, there are unexpected events, and I let the projects to gather dust.
    • Sometimes I overestimate my productivity in a length of time, hence I tend to have very big scopes.
    • There are some projects, that I associate with external measurements. When those measurements drop, I tend to feel unmotivated.
  3. Long term goals: To have a kickass portfolio, and being able to release developer tools, and a commercial product (either a game or an app).
  4. Short term goals: To create a coding habit, be able to choose better scopes, and complete a couple projects for my portfolio.
Collapse

mazonthemoon profile image
Mary Ronan

Hi everyone :)

It's my first time doing a challenge like this so really looking forward to this!

So what makes a good coding session for me?

a) I’ve had a plan of attack on what to do...and stick with it
b) I document my process (let’s me learn from my mistakes and work out what is a good practice for me)
c) I’m prepared so I don’t have to stop once I start...have a water bottle/cuppa, notepad & pencils, headphones and playlist...

What hinders having a good coding session?

a) Don’t try and make up a plan or design as I go...spend some time working out on paper how the project will work out
b) Backups and version control (Thank you git) for the inevitable mistakes and rolling back to an earlier version
c) Minimise distractions - focus only on coding for the session.

My long term goals?
In the next 12 months I would like to build up enough knowledge, projects and confidence to change careers to be a front end developer.

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

Hello everyone, I’m Iyanu
feels good to want to do this
What has worked for me

1. having a visual representation of what I want to code, be it a landing page, a web app e.t.c
  2. Turning off all distractions mostly SM
  3. having surrounding music

What hasn’t worked

1. Procrastination (I always push my work my 30mins till I run out of time)
  2. Social media distractions

hope I’ll be able to get past these during this journey

Collapse

drea profile image
Andrea Churchville

Hello! Hoping to get more consistent with coding and land a job!

Things That Went Well

• Getting to work on projects and seeing them work
  • Learning to actively work on projects that I was interested in and not just following a tutorial
  • Learning new things and getting the hang of them

Things That Don't go so Well

• Projects are not as functional as I want them be or I hit a roadblock and have trouble solving the problem.
  • Difficulties with time management. I end up procrastinating with long breaks and end up struggling with the fundamentals.

Long Term Goals
I want to be confident with JavaScript, React JS, and coding in general
I want a career in Front-End Development

Short Term Goals
I want to create projects and finish them
I want to code on a daily basis
I want to diminish fear and imposter syndrome

Collapse

p0tat0h8 profile image
ngeeenggggg

Hello everyone, so glad to join this exciting challenge!
After finishing local front-end dev Bootcamp, here's what I think:

What has worked:

1. Finding great resource and understand them so it reflects on the things (app) that I made
  2. I can express what I was thinking into a functional real solution
  3. Starting doing things first in the morning, so it rolls into unstoppable work until I am feeling enough and not guilty about wasting my morning time. I am a morning person basically and having a head start in the morning motivates me to work more, and lazy mornings give me a lazy speed throughout the day and it creates such an unproductive day.

What hasn’t worked:

1. I am not starting early in the morning. Bringing entertainment first is fun, but later it gives me a strange feeling that the rest of the day will be programmed in that way and craving more entertainment brings me guilty feelings that should not be there when I end my day.
  2. Not spending it as much as I wanted because relying too much on motivation. Motivation is made, and my personal experience is the best time is to make it early in the morning.
  3. Unrealistic idea that project is too big and I cannot get enough support. Sometimes the journey is tough and the pace seems so slow but the idea keeps flowing, and I am facing it myself whilst battling imposter syndrome. Sometimes I just have to start asking for help.

Long-term goals (what I hope to accomplish in 6-12 months)

1. Learning front-end better
  2. Understand the fundamental of programming better
  3. Learning more about Javascript

Short-term goals

1. Starting a habit to get things done early in the morning.
  2. Get enough sleep.
  3. Giving effort and code every day.
Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Bonjour tout le monde. Hey everyone. I am looking forward to Code More with all of you. Here are my responses to the pre-mission questions.

1. What has worked in the past: Following a structured resource that had a laid out plan/path of study. Picking resources that were a stretch, but within reach of my current abilities. Having a coding problem/challenge/project that is clearly defined.
  2. What hasn't worked in the past: Having high expectations of myself and unrealistic expectations about how fast or how easy the coding project will be. Being a perfectionist. Not asking for help when I need it. Not getting enough sleep.
  3. Long-term goal: have a project that I can show people.
  4. Short-term goal: work through the Python tutorial that I'm following (I should be just shy of finishing it by the end of the 5 weeks for CNC2021)
Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I feel the same about perfection. I have such unrealistic expectations that it hinders me from starting in the first place. I'm hoping to overcome it by telling myself to just start coding and I can continue to make fixes along the way as I build.

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Just know that you're not alone. So many of us on this thread struggle with perfectionism and high expectations. Surely if we all put our minds together, we can figure it out. I hope you get some coding sessions in. 🤞🏾

Collapse

testinnplayin profile image
testinnplayin

Hello, I joined the 'code more' challenge.
Short term: learn Rust fully and not drop it this time.
Long term: perhaps get a job in it.
What has worked in the past: doing informal code exercises, creating a statistics module with it, doing more practice rather than just reading the online book
What has not worked in the past: just going through the book rather than doing the interactive Rust course, thinking I understood ownership and patterns and then trying to implement them in my code, Covid and the Meetup I went to (there was a tutor there, sigh). After that I didn't go back to it because no time while working.

Collapse

marcianodev profile image
Gregório Francisco

My learning trill, so far, has being good. There was an happy time that I made part of a group developing an e-commerce.
But lately, I think I wanna go further, and I know I can. That’s why I need to ‘code more’. To increase faster as technology does.

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

Hello everyone!

1. What has worked? I'd say that persistence and problem solving. As long as I'm motivated I have no problems going through what ever I'm doing.
  2. Which leads to the not working part, if I ever lose my interest it's extremely hard for me to keep the momentum on. Usually I don't lose my interest out of problems, more likely that I over work my self, take a pause and after that just don't care anymore.
  3. My long term goal is to transition in software development, preferably having a job in the field by the end of this year.
  4. Short term goal is to learn how to pace myself better, so that I don't have to take long breaks and ultimately lose my motivation to go through this journey.
Collapse

kansari profile image
Khalid

Hello all,

It feels good to be part of this community.

What has worked for me in the past are deadlines and structure, as in a paid course. So, you may have guessed that motivation is an issue--mainly because I don't code as part of my day job. Unless I am super motivated, I don't end up coding much in my free time.

As a short-term goal, I hope to build a habit of coding a little every day--even if it's just a few lines. I believe finding a good project I am passionate about will help.

Thank you again.. and all the best!

Collapse

singhsuryansh12 profile image
Suryansh Singh

Hello everyone! Happy to be here.

1. What has worked: Consistency in efforts, Finishing a topic completely before starting others, Being determined to complete the task till the end, Setting deadlines and following them, Prioritising work.

2. Determine what has NOT worked: Working on too many tasks at the same time, Leaving a topic/language/project before completing it.

3. Long-term goals: Being skilled in various different domains (Web Dev, ML), getting a Software Developer Job at a dream company, Building a great product/project from scratch.

4. Short-term goals: Learning enough skills to build a great project/portfolio.

Collapse

blitzparanoia profile image
Irene Saez

Hi All,
I am looking to get motivated to code again. I have had had some whacky schedules and was not able to dedicate myself to coding again. After these 5 weeks I want to have a consistent coding habit again. I am also looking forward to not going through the journey alone.

Collapse

cstayyab profile image
Muhammad Tayyab Sheikh

Hey Everyone!

1. What has worked - Whenever the project is small and it can be done in a weekend
  2. What hasn't worked - bigger projects, started the project with a new technology which could have easily been done if I used technologies I already knew
  3. Long-term goal - Create a diverse and my own opensource portfolio and contributing more to the other opensource project
  4. Short-term goal - Remain consistent and keep learning new libraries, frameworks and languages.
Collapse

pachicodes profile image
Pachi Parra

Hello! I am a bit late haha
But just wanted to share a few thoughts:

1. I have been happy with what I coded when I did something that I was comfortable with OR something challenging that worked

2. When things were too out of my comfort zone and I didn't have enough support, it didn't go so well

3. Long-term I want code a bit everyday, and ,maybe be part of an open source project

4. Short-term I want to feel more confident coding

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

You're not late at all! #CNC2021 is a rolling event so folks can join whenever :)

Welcome!!!

Collapse

pulmunen profile image
Pulmunen • Edited

Hi all, I’m really looking forward to the challenge! Here are my pre-mission answers:
What’s worked:

• Having a clear, concrete goal that is meaningful to me.
  • Making myself focus mindfully on resources that can be helpful, particularly actively coding along.
  • Taking breaks when I can’t find a solution to a problem.

What hasn’t worked

• Not having a goal
  • Having breaks of more than 2 days between coding sessions within a project
  • Gathering long lists of resources to use later - I never remember which is which when I come back to them.

Long term goals

• Specify and build front end /prototype for a MVP for an audience
  • Develop a GitHub habit - starting by adding my current short term goal projects to GiHub and become a confident GitHub user
  • Contribute regular support to other coders

Short term goals

• Finish my current vanilla JS web component project
  • Rebuild it using React
  • Learn the basics of GitHub
Collapse

mikeoxygen profile image
Michael Adebambo

Hello everyone I'm excited to join this challenge, I'm currently learning front-end development from Nigeria.

1. What has worked

-I go to do stuffs I've never done before( build simple webpages)

• I got to actually see what I could ( you know like from 0 to 1 is really something amazing)

• Yeah I figured out new learning style and great resources.

2. What hasn't worked

• I didn't spend much time like I wanted to and I was really bad at being consistent.
  • I wasn't able to follow my Roadmap so I need to cover up stuffs now.
  • I couldn't utilize the resources I had I was always switch so that wasted my time.

3. Long term goals

• I want to be a skillful front-end developer and UI designer with knowledge of modern practices. -. Create my own Open source project that will IMPACT the community.
  • Get started with Blockchain tech.
  • Code in the workspace I always dreamt of ( currently using a desktop to code )

4. Short term goals

• Create portfolio worthy Javascript projects -Code at least an hour a day
  • Do front-end projects weekly
  • Read books & articles everyday
Collapse

gurkaran321 profile image
Gurkaranpreet Singh

Hi everyone! I came across a challenge on Twitter. I was looking for something to keep me accountable.SO it came to write on my screen. Super excited to start the Code More challenge.

Till Now: 1.Learnt java and python in college.
2. Started with web dev 3 weeks ago.
3. So far I have learnt HTML, CSS and some JS.
I have been pretty consistent except 2 or 3 days when I went out with
My friends. I found out pretty good resources out of which following I liked the most :
1.MDN Documentation
2.Zach’s full stack roadmap series.

1. Tanay Pratap’s Neog Camp. 4.Brad TRaversy Youtube Channel.
  2. FrontendMentor.io 6.Devchallenges.io

I am most unhappy that I take breaks every 45 minutes, that is I am unable to concentrate for more than 45 minutes on the go. I want to sit for long coding hours.I know what I have to do but still, I am unable to do so. No accountability.

Long Term Goal: To become full stack developer JS-based.
I have a goal to use the MERN stack i.e MongoDB, Express.js, React
And Node.js to build full-stack web and mobile apps. To get started with this stack, I know I have to learn 3 basics which are HTML, CSS and Modern Javascript.

Short Term Goal: To master CSS layout using Flexbox and Grid, getting started with Javascript in the next 5 weeks.
I am going to complete this by using 2 very good courses by WesbOS, MDN documentation and then doing challenges from frontend mentors and dec challenges,.io. After that for JS, I will be starting Brad Traversy’s Modern Javascript course on Udemy.
This will prepare me to create a base to start learning the MERN stack, starting with React.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hey everyone! I'm excited to participate in this challenge! Here are my responses:

What has worked:

1. Applying skills/material from a tutorial
  2. Setting aside dedicated time to focus and code
  3. Not worrying about perfection

Why those sessions were happy ones:

1. Felt fulfilling to apply material
  2. Could see immediate results
  3. Focused on myself and my own growth

What hasn't worked:

1. Not sticking to a dedicated routine to code
  2. Falling into the trap of constantly completing tutorials
  3. Shying a way from coding when I'm in a team

Why those unhappy things happened:

1. Not motivated enough to stick to coding
  2. Not confident in my abilities to do more coding without tutorials
  3. Afraid of failure and disappointing the team

Long-term goals:

1. Establishing a Github/Portfolio site
  2. Having a habit of coding regularly outside my job
  3. Blogging more on CodeNewbie and Dev about my experiences and projects I'm working on
  4. Be prepared for technical interviews
  5. Be ready to interview for my next role with companies that align with my personal goals and purpose
  6. Have proficiency in Java, C++, Python
  7. Explore front-end: HTML, CSS, JavaScript

Short-term goals:

1. Complete one project
  2. Have a schedule to set aside some time to code outside of work each week
  3. Be confident in my ability to code and continuing to learn more as I go
  4. Blog about my experience with this challenge
Collapse

lilacreader profile image
Angela

I think I'm a little late to the party on this one but here it goes!

1. What has worked - Working on projects that let me practice new skills incrementally so that I can know that I've actually learned that one part of it before moving on. Finding projects that I'm excited about completing. Having lots of resources on hand that help me understand the concept without actually just giving me the answer.
  2. What hasn't worked -Following along with tutorials and then jumping right into a project. I haven't really learned the skill I just learned to copy the code, so I never really know where to start or how to go with it. Also, picking random projects that I'm not particularly interested in just because they use the skill I think I've learned. It leads to getting frustrated because I don't know where to start, I feel overwhelmed and then I give up.
  3. Long Term Goals - Complete one big(ish) project from scratch using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (what I'm currently trying to wrap my head around) and 2-3 smaller JavaScript projects to ensure I've really learned the skills.
  4. Short Term Goals - find a way to learn and practice my skills without just watching the video/reading the tutorial and copying the code.
Collapse

arya45 profile image
Audrey • Edited

Hi everyone :) I am really stoked about this community. It is nice to read about other people different places in the world sharing their journey and supporting one another.

1. What has worked:
Splitting a project in small tasks has worked in the part. I was using Asana to just jot down every single thing I wanted to do and tried to arrange it in some order. Now I use Trello mostly, though not to a level where I am really making the most of it.
Using the coding community with the #100DaysOfCode on Twitter for instance. I was posting about my progress both on Twitter and my Github profile, and it was actually helpful to acknowledge even the smallest actions, like fixing some typos on a website or deciding of the color palette or whatever. Because when it is written black on white, it takes meaning: you did do something today :)
I made one a sort of fan webpage for a singer that I find fantastic, and I think that my own interest fueled my motivation to see the page completed.

2. What has not worked:
I get easily overwhelmed by the amount of different courses, languages, libraries, articles, etc. and it makes me set aside whatever project I am working on and wonder if I should be learning something else, if that's leading me somewhere.
I get excited by a project but can quickly get bored or disinterested again, and have a hard time being disciplined.
Long stretches of time between coding sessions are a problem, because I lose the momentum and the motivation.

3. Long-term goals:
I would love find a job in which I use technology to improve society and people's health and well-being. At the moment the direction I am going towards is data science, but I am also interested in smart cities, behavioral science and UX.

4. Short-term goals:
Create a tech profile for myself online, by feeding my Github with projects related to data analysis, data science, IoT and more.

Collapse

godzillian profile image
Abhinab Pratap Singh Chauhan

worked- Emergency Projects taught me a lot, I guess I work a lot better under pressure
hasn't worked- taking self monitored courses and going slow.
Long term Goal- Probably getting into FAANG and be a better coder(clean and beautiful code)
Short term Goal- Main reason I'm here is consistency

Collapse

khushikothari profile image
khushi-kothari

Hello everyone from India! I'm Khushi Kothari and I’m really excited to start this challenge!!

1. What has worked - Solving many coding problems and challenges, following instructed tutorials for creating projects. I feel motivated by seeing the correct outputs of some hard complicated problems that I solve and it helps me moving further.

2. What has not worked - To quit when I get stuck. To keep bugs in code to revisit later which I never do. To leave a project to visit later and some modifications which never happened till now. To follow all coded ready made tutorials.

3. Long Term Goals - To land on an internship in a big company. To develop as many skills as possible and to master them.

4. Short Term Goals - To learn ReactJs, Js. To have enough practice of both to make sure I know the skills well. To make some great projects using these skills. To make an awesome portfolio!!

These questions really helped me to get an insight about my current situation. Maybe things that I didn’t knew came out while I was writing answers🤭 It will help in a long run to choose what works for me and what not so I take steps accordingly.

Collapse

tallglassofmilkjake profile image
Jake Mackinlay

Hi everybody. Keen to get involved here and crack on with this challenge!

Things that went well - Allowing the time to plan ahead and spot potential hazards along the way before having it sneak up on me. In other words not getting too excited and structuring what time I do have better.

Things that went not so well - Getting distracted while working on a personal project and not actually completing the project. This comes as a result of already working full time and on some freelance projects and only having the time late at night to get started on personal endeavours.

Long term goals - In part be able to leave my day job (not industry related) and focus full time on coding. Whether that be from home in a remote/freelance capacity or full time employed in an office.

Short term goals - To complete my portfolio V2 and start filling it with projects. Finalizing and perfecting prior projects should be in here as well as I constantly complete basic functionality and then move on to some other bright idea that's taken my fancy

Collapse

baileymclem profile image
Bailey Clemons • Edited

Hi! I'm happy to be here with all of you! (@^0^@)/

What has worked?
Having a clear plan of what it is I’m working on
Being in a space free from distractions
Finding something that I love about the project

What has not worked?
Working on more than one thing at a time
Getting caught up with “perfect” and not willing to let it be done

Long-term goals:
To get hired as a developer

Short-term goals:
To finish some projects to put up on Github

Collapse

laurenlucero profile image
Lauren Lucero

Hello, CodeNewbies,
Through my pre-mission reflect I realized community is highly motivating for me!

A time that I was happy with what I coded was my bootcamp projects.
I worked on them consistently for short periods to complete an MVP. 
I had a network I could reach out to for help.
I had specs to follow and knew what languages/frameworks I had to use.

I am not happy that I have not build a personal site yet. 
I have done small practice projects but have not deployed anything for 9 months.
I get overwhelmed by choosing the right tools and starting.
I don’t have a spec or wireframe to build from.

Long-term, I would like to build a personal site that showcases who I am as a human, software developer and yoga teacher. I would like to feel confident in my skills to get a job so I can get paid to keep learning code and help others learn.

Short-term, I want to create healthy coding and writing about learning habits. I want to code and share on a regular basis. In 5 weeks I should deploy my personal site.

Collapse

mcrawlings profile image
Matthew

I learned a tiny bit of design just so my front-end development didn't look like hot garbage!

Thank you, Chisomo; put a smile on my face :)