CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 Cohort 1] Code More Welcome Thread

[#CNC2022 Cohort 1] Code More Welcome Thread

CodeNewbie Staff on January 30, 2022

Hello and welcome to #CNC2022's "Code More" Welcome Thread for Cohort 1! We're so excited you've committed to this five-week ch...
Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hi all. I'm KC and I'm based in the UK.

I joined the challenge to become more consistent with my learning to code and to meet other like minded folks.

Learning in a structured way i.e. carving out time and working on deliverables has worked for me in the past but the hardest part was working in isolation. It's hard to get motivated when it's just myself learning.

I'm hoping to improve on my coding specifically doing more intermediate/advanced bits of HTML/CSS but also in particular to get to grips with Javascript. So alongside the learning I'm wanting to work on a few projects and the aim long term is get a job in the industry.

Anyway thanks for reading, hoping to connect with others and happy coding.
KC
Twitter
GitHub

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

Hey KC

Good to see another "career switcher" like myself. Funny programming was always something I had an interest in doing but lacked the confidence to jump in. I'm glad I did. Its very challenging but I look forward to it everyday. However, I agree. It is difficult to get and stay motivated when in isolation. I find setting daily goals and a set schedule helps me get through it. I am currently working on Java and was also working on a Udemy coarse in Web Dev but I found that a bit too much so I am just focusing on Java for the time being. There is so much ground to cover with Web Dev that is a bit overwhelming, especially with CSS. Working on projects is probably where you gain the most knowledge in my opinion. Participated in a bootcamp and was able to work on a team to develop an android app. It was fun and got to learn a lot from others.

Anyway good luck and keep coding.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hi Ron.
Yeah the whole lack of confidence thing really sucks - I still struggle with it. And 100% agree that there is SO much to web dev that it gets overwhelming.
Also I took a bootcamp that accelerated my learning but when it was over it was hard to push on.
Anyway I am just trying to take learning/coding a bit slower, to learn with quality (if that makes any sense!) and also trying to make it a more consistent part of my life.

Thanks and same to you - good luck!
Happy coding.
KC

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi KC,
I joined the challenge for the same reason you have. Also, I am as well changing my career path onto a developer. Right now I am learning TypeScript but backend and Node is my final goal.

Good luck to you and stay focused on the goal.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Thanks Piotr!
And same to you as well! Hope this is another step towards achieving your end goal.
Happy coding.
KC

Collapse

bredmond1019 profile image
Brandon Redmond

Hey KC,

Seems like we're in pretty similar situations learning on our own. I joined this challenge to get to meet some new people in the same boat as me.

It's tough trying to stay motivated learning on your own. You get stuck on something and not sure where to look sometimes or even what the problem is. It's tough to monitor your progress. And we lack accountability sometimes.

I have been working with React/JS/CSS mostly on the front end and doing some back end with python and flask.

Looking forward to getting to know you and maybe work on some projects together.

Brandon

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for reaching out.
Personally having accountability (and a deadline) helps me to push on because there are times when I can go off on a tangent with regards to my learning/coding.

So likewise looking forward to getting to you know as well.

KC

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Hey @kc,

I really want someone as a accountability partner so that we can share our progress and have good healthy discussion.

FYI: Anybody who(just one or two folks) is willing to become a partner/fellow dev would be great, ultimately we can share knowledge we can have a small group and blog our progress here.

Regards
Rohit

Thread Thread

kc profile image
K C • Edited

hey there @rohit1101,

Happy to have an initial chat, see if our interests align and take it from there.
KC

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Cool @kc What are your interests ?

I am a frontend developer currently working on React and gatsby.

Thread Thread

kc profile image
K C

@rohit1101
I'm into Web Design and Development, so I predominately like front-end.

My current focus is:

• working through intermediate/advanced HTML | CSS.
  • getting to grips with JS, to the point where I'm comfortable using it to manipulate the DOM consistently and also to a point where working with Data/APIs is not so confusing anymore.

My longer term focus is looking at:

• React again. I think it works really well for intermediate/large SPAs.
  • GSAP as I like animations.

My ultimate goal:

• secure a job a web designer/developer.
Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101 • Edited

Cool then i think we can pair a lot and learn even i am currently re-learning html,css and JS.

Thread Thread

kc profile image
K C • Edited

@rohit1101,
Ok I wasn't sure how to connect with you so I created a slack channel where we can chat. Here is the slack invite.

I will remove the link after you join the channel.

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101 • Edited

Awesome bro, I am joining now.

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Same here. 🦾

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

πŸ‘πŸ½

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

I'm glad to see we have similar goals. Best wishes to you!

Collapse

collinclifford profile image
Collin Clifford

Hi, I'm Collin, a soon to be bootcamp graduate. I'm participating in this challenge to sharpen my skills and meet like-minded folks. I've worked on several capstone projects for my course as well as a few solo projects and feel pretty comfortable with where I am at currently. I hope to get a job sooner than later but in the meantime I want to spend as much of my free time working on projects as I can. I need structure. Being new to coding, I often don't know where to go/what to start so I'm hoping that this challenge will help give me direction. Feel free to reach out!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hey Collin.
Just want to say hi. I can relate about the the bit about often don't know where to go/what to start at times and am also hoping that I get more direction by doing this challenge!
Anyway all the best and happy coding!
KC

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Hey Collin, that's awesome. Congrats on all the hard work at bootcamp. Which one did you go to?

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

+1 out of curiosity . Good luck!

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Hey everyone, I'm Aaron from the US (living abroad temporarily but mainly based in the US). I'm wanting to code more to build a healthy habit of coding and computer science. I'm currently taking a front-end libraries course on freeCodeCamp and the Harvard online CS50 course. My goal is to get myself bootcamp-ready, so I can apply and be in a good place when I start. My plan is to apply to a few bootcamps when I return to the US.

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

Hey Aaron

Can't believe those Harvard online courses are free lol. I started the CS50 course and it was pretty interesting but I kind of spread myself too much and it slowed my progress so I'm just sticking to a couple sites, hoping to eventually take that CS50 again since I think it gives you a pretty good foundation. Right now I just try to work on daily problems and that helps me get started.

Godspeed and keep coding.

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Same to you! Yeah the CS50 course was more than I was initially expecting haha. But it’s super interesting. Good luck on your problem sets!

Collapse

agelviscarlos profile image
Carlos-Rainbow coding πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 🌈

Hi Aaron! good goals you have there!
If you are doing (and finishing) the FreeCodeCamp and the Harvard one, maybe you don't need a bootcamp? At the end, you will be paying money for things you already know and know for free! I already know several people that only with FCC and their own projects found jobs! :)

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

I did FCC responsive and JS algorithms + CS50W. Great resources to learn. Why do you feel you need a bootcamp if you don't mind my asking?

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Good question. I have been able to learn fairly well on my own but it’s very slow and inconsistent. Doing it alone isn’t great either. I feel a bootcamp would add more structure and help me prepare more for a developer role quicker.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hey Aaron,
Sounds like you have a good plan with FCC and CS50 (I've heard it's good!).
Good luck.
KC

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Hi, all. I’m Ana and I’m in the USA. I started coding a few years ago, and I’m interested in leveling up my skills. Working on side projects has helped me, but I haven’t maintained a consistent routine to build or tinker with them. I’d like to dive deeper into JavaScript and CSS to get faster. I’d also like to revisit any previous projects or start something new to work on and create a reasonable schedule I can maintain. My long term goal is to build solid projects for my portfolio. Looking forward to connecting with you in this track!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hello Ana,
There are elements of your coding journey that are similar to mine. I started to learn coding a few years ago on and off. Working on projects definitely helped my learning but I'm lacking consistency.
I'm okayish with HTML and CSS but need to get much better with more intermediate/advanced CSS and in particular Javascript is something I am still trying to get a grip on!
Anyway all the best with your goal of building solid projects for your portfolio and happy coding.
KC

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Same here, good luck!

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Best wishes, Adrian!

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Ana,
JavaScript is something we have in common :)
Good luck

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Thanks! Best wishes :)

Collapse

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Hello folks, hope everyone is safe and happy πŸ˜ƒ

I am Rohit from India, currently i am working as a frontend developer at an awesome startup with a lot of opportunities to learn.

I am taking up this challenge because in the past i was trying to learn multiple(frontend dev and aws for learning devops)things at the same time and in the end i am not efficient/effective on either on the topics i tried to learn.

In the past and even now i am able to get things done but the solution is not well optimised or good but my code works πŸ˜….

Things that did not work well for me are:

• Till now i have 0 SPA(react) projects completed compared to the final goal (i do style the project and move on to the next project)
  • I quickly abandon a project.
  • Ignored CSS as a frontend developer (since i thought it’s not too important) a very bad decision from my side.

Short-term goals: (This should be done within H1 of 2022)

• Re-learn frontend fundamentals (HTML, CSS and JS)
  • Build a lot of mini projects with pure CSS with challenging UI design
  • Choose a way to style SPAs (styled components)
  • Blog my learning/journey(1/month)
  • Learn TS

Long-term goals: (The following goals are to be focused from H2 of 2022 till the end of H1 of 2023)

• Choose a tech stack and build a lot of projects (or if possible one good product which can be published on producthunt)
  • Build my own website with the tech stack i chose.
  • Contribute to open source
  • Learn a new language Dart(flutter).

See you folks.
πŸ‘‹

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

I like how you emphasized relearning frontend fundamentals. I feel that focusing on the basics is always a good idea. It helps with understanding other concepts and how everything works together. Best wishes!

Collapse

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Yes fundamentals are very important.

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hi Rohit,

Nice to meet you! I feel the same about projects. Since I dived into the world of web development, I have started at least 3 big projects and never finished them. Idk if my goal was too large/complex, or what caused me to lose motivation, but I am hoping this cohort will help me meet some similar people and we can help each other finish our goals.

I'm also using react to build apps. I did the same thing with skipping CSS and now that I am back into coding more, I am realizing how important it is. Once you understand it well, it makes styling way faster.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Collapse

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

First of all thank you for the response.

Hey man we should definitely catch up a lot maybe have weekly calls via zoom or google meets we can be accountable of each other’s progress if you are cool with having video calls.

I feel very lonely as a developer and have tried to get a good partner but was never able to find one.

Hope you are in for the zoom calls 🀞

I see that now you are dabbling with mobile development and even i am planning to learn mobile using flutter. But not planning to start it anytime soon.

Hope we can catch up soon brandon!!

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

Hey Rohit,

I'm happy to keep an open line of communication going. I'm not sure I can commit to video calls every week, but I can def be in touch each week.

Looking forward to getting to know you :)

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Ok sure @bredmond1019 we will stay in touch.

Ok feel free to inform me if you really want a video call whenever you are interested!!

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

So What sort of projects are you working on these days?

I see that you are already working for a start up. Are you also working on some personal projects?

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Right now i am not working on any side projects but i am re-learning CSS, JS and react fundamentals.

I completed react for beginners course by kent c dodds on egghead.io

I absolutely recommend this course for anyone who is learning for a long-time or just starting it’s very refreshing and fun to realise that react is just JS objects at a fundamental level.

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

Nice. Always important to have a solid foundation. Maybe once you are feeling a bit more comfortable, we can colab on a project.

Thread Thread

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101 • Edited

@bredmond1019 Ya what are you currently working on ?

Is Dart easier to learn ?

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

Hey rohit

I just finished my first project (not perfect yet, but good enough to add to my portfilio). It's a language learning review flash card type app.

Dart is super easy. It feels like javascript really..

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar • Edited

Hi everyone! I'm Adrian and I've joined the CodeMore challenge to make coding a solid habit and get a dev job. I've also joined #301DaysOfCode.
For me, the passion for learning and solving problems is what motivates me the most while frustration, lack of direction and not having time to dedicate to coding has made it difficult to say the least. I'm now decided to make coding a solid habit and get a job where I can learn, grow and enjoy.
If you dare to get a longer 'journal entry' for this pre-mission you can find it on this repo and you can find me on Twitter.
Happy coding!
coding meme

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Great idea to add your writing to a repo. Best to you!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Thank you!

Collapse

susi189 profile image
Susanna

Hi there, I'm Susanna, currently living in the US. I have been teaching myself coding for some time now (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React), but struggled to keep up the routine and maintain the structure. But decided that this year will be different and I hope that with "Code More" I can achieve that.

What worked for me coding-wise in the past was having a clear goal like building a specific app, and committing to building it during a defined timeline (like couple of weeks), setting aside time for it, and having a support network.

What did not work was to have a too big and too complex project to work on for a rather short period of time, this was quite discouraging.

During those 5 weeks I hope to wrap up at least one of my ongoing React projects and setting smaller weekly goals.

Happy coding everyone!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hi Susanna,

I've seen several posts on here where good/bad issues with learning to code that I can relate to and one thing you mentioned just had me nodding as I read your post.

What did not work was to have a too big and too complex project to work on for a rather short period of time, this was quite discouraging.

Anyway all the best with the challenge and happy coding to you as well!
KC

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hey Susanna!

I'm in a pretty similar boat. It's tough learning on your own and staying motivated. Hopefully through these 5 weeks we can get to know each other and help each other out moving forward -- hold each other accountable.

looking forward to getting to know you.

Collapse

lostgirljourney profile image
Falguni Sarkar

Hello, I am Falguni Sarkar from India. With this challenge I am trying to be consistent with my preparation of DSA and do more development to be a Full Stack Web Developer. With high spirits , I will do my best to be consistent. You can anytime connect with me at Discord here.

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron • Edited

Hello World!

I'm Ron and decided to participate in this challenge to help keep me focused and hopefully become a better programmer through "coding more".

I realized what has worked for me is creating a schedule and consistently sticking to it. This is when I've made the most progress. Basically, I broke down my days into blocks where I can actually do something related to coding. Preferably solving problems but just anything related to Java. I usually start with a "Problem of the Day" which I get from JetBrains Academy or Codingbat and that gets me into that mind frame.

What has NOT worked is trying to learn too much. There is so much to learn with programming that its difficult to focus on just one thing, especially if you want to become a back end/full stack developer. However, spreading myself out too much has slowed my progress. Realizing this, I decided to just focus on Java for the time being. Negativity has also not helped. I am switching careers at the age of 50 and sometimes your mind is your worst enemy.

I am currently woking on a second college degree in IT and hoping to get an internship in the next 6-12 months. I also want to have completed Intermediate Java and have a good handle on Java Syntax and Core.

For my short-term goal I want to build up my confidence and continue to work on daily problems with increasing difficulty.

Collapse

gabby_codes profile image
Gabby

Hi Ron, I can relate to your what has worked/what has not worked so much! I'm also switching careers and I must admit at times I've felt so defeated, I've ended up taking long breaks because I convince myself I can't do it. I think that is partly because I was trying to learn too many things at once. Focusing on just one thing and creating a realistic schedule has helped so much.

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

Hey Gabby

I think the important point is never to give up and to know when to take a break. I definitely can relate. I think I’ve found a groove and a routine that works for me. I’ve even started yoga lol. Every now and again I start feeling overwhelmed and like there is no way in hell I’m getting this but then I have a break through on a particular problem and it gives me fuel to keep going. Don’t forget google is your fiend lol.

Good luck and keep coding!

Thread Thread

Gabby

Thanks Ron! I agree, it's all about us finding the way that works for us as individuals and knowing when to take a break and come back to something. Good luck to you too!

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi,
My name is Piotr. I spent over 5 years in the UK but currently living in Poland. I'm participating in the 'code more' challenge because I want to make programing a habit. I am changing my career path and looking for finding a job as a developer until the end of the year. My superpowers are JS and soon TS. My goal is to become backend developer. Hope to connect with others. Stay focused and motivated folks.

Github
Twitter

Collapse

Gabby

Hi, I'm Gabby and I'm hoping to switch careers to become a developer. I'm participating in this challenge partly for motivation and also to meet like-minded people and to be inspired by their stories. I'm currently learning React and in the short-term I'd like to dedicate more time to practising these skills so that I can make a good start on building one of my personal projects from scratch.

Something that's worked for me in the past:

• Setting myself a timer before I start working so once I stop for the evening I can see exactly how much time I've invested and remind myself I'm x hours closer to my goal.

Something that's not worked for me in the past:

• Sometimes I've been in a bit of a rush to skip to projects rather than learning a language thoroughly first. I recently learnt React the 'proper' way and get so much more out of any tutorial videos I follow because my understanding of the foundations is much stronger.
Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Good luck Gabby!

All the best with the challenge and your goal of changing careers.
KC

Collapse

Gabby

Thanks KC! And good luck to you too!

Collapse

kelly profile image
Kelly Young

Heya, I’m Kelly in the US. I’ve studied and practice coding on and off over the years - mostly Javascript, but a little bit of Python, HTML, and CSS, as well.

Long-term, my goal is to get a job working as a developer. To that end, a major goal for the short term is to establish that habit of coding more overall - and more consistency - a pace that is challenging but sustainable.

What’s worked for me coding-wise in the past is when I’ve had a challenge I’m excited about, whether it’s something fun to build or an interesting problem to solve or something else. It’s also helped when I had the time I could set aside, and for some reason it’s sometimes easier for me to code in the evening and at night.

What hasn’t worked for me is when I haven’t put the time aside needed to learn. Or, when I go-go-go and work too hard/long on a challenge that when I hit the wall (or tire) I procrastinate coming back to the challenge. Waiting too long to look up other resources or reach out for help also hasn’t worked.

I’m excited for this challenge. :-)

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

I thought I was the only one lol β€œ Waiting too long to look up other resources or reach out for help”. I get stuck and I just can’t let it go. I finally googled what to do and I found something that’s worked - if in 30 minutes you haven’t solved it on your own - get help in some way. I still go over the 30 minutes but eventually I start looking for help. Most importantly I try to understand the problem and not just copy some answers.

Good luck and keep coding!

Collapse

kelly profile image
Kelly Young

Ooh, time boxing is a great suggestion - thanks!

Collapse

ishikajn8126 profile image
Ishika

Hey everyone! I'm Ishika from India. I've taken up this challenge to develop the much needed consistency in coding which I end up breaking frequently after outbursts of continuity. I've been able to grasp whatever I try to learn and perform quite well but not being able to maintain the consistency is the only thing holding me back. I just wanna work up on building consistency, rest will itself fall in place!!
Feel free to reach out or collaborate!

Collapse

advaithunnikrishnan profile image
Advaith U

Hi folks

I'm Advaith a student developer and community builder from India. I'm participating in this challenge to develop consistent coding habits and connect with fellow developers. By the end of this challenge I want to learn React fundamentals so that I would be able to build single page applications as per the requirement.

Collapse

necron9x11 profile image
necron9x11

Hey all I'm N99

I joined the challenge to try and force myself to just do something code related on a regular basis. My coding goes in fits and starts. I have several jobs that all are easier to do when I code more. I just never seem to find the time to do it consistently.

The only thing that has worked for me in the past is to just sit down and do it. The problem is that then all sorts of other things fall behind in terms of progress. My issue is simply just not enough available time in a day, a week, a month, a year, a decade, a lifetime.

What has not worked is trying to find time to code on a daily, or at least a consistent, basis.

Long term goal is to get better at Solidity ETH contract writing.

Short term goal is to add more automation to the things I do in my various tech jobs, side projects and start-up companies.

Happy Hacking!

N99

Collapse

ashorta profile image
Ashorta

Hi all am Peter,

I joined the challenge to build consistency in my dev habbits especially coding a bit more and to learn from others partaking in the same.

What has worked for me in the past is folowing a structured learning system from courses to online tutorials.

What has been a challenge is coding on the feels and not setting up intentional time to code.

I look foward to build consistency and finishing projects that i start.

looking foward to engage

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King • Edited

Hello. It looks like my original post was deleted :-(

Intro:
My name is Mark and I am located in North Carolina (The Triangle). I decided to participate in the challenge to help me focus on a strategy to consistently code to grow my skills.

What worked "coding-wise":
What works for me is working on projects that solves an issue and/or where there is a deadline. I definitely do better with a structured environment. I completed a couple of nano-degrees from Udacity.

What has not worked:
What has not worked in the past is completing projects I am not interested in working on. I lose motivation because the projects did not seem to solve a problem. I get I am constantly learning and everything will not be exciting; however, it currently is a "blocker".

Long term goals:

• Land a job in tech and/or freelance work as a developer

Short Team goal:

• automate task for those in my circle of influence
  • grow my dev network
Collapse

almostdevelopr profile image
almostdevelopr

Hi devs,

I'm Minhaz from India. I'm participating in this challenge to make coding a habit and stay connected with other developers.

I want to learn front end development by participating in this challenge and following a particular roadmap to become a React Developer.

Stay connected.

Cheers!!

Collapse

jaimin001 profile image
Jaimin Gajjar

Hello, I am Jaimin from India.
Being consistent has always worked for me, but I always manage to break that consistency.
So my goal is to be consistent and to make a immersive video chat app.
Also I want to complete all common DSA problems that can help me in my interviews.
I am looking forward to connect and learn with you all.

Collapse

asbcoder profile image
Andrew

Hello everyone I'm Andrew a developer working at University in the UK. I am taking part in this challenge to give myself focus working on solo projects in my spare time. I have started numerous projects and never completed any of them so I am hoping by joining CodeNewbie and taking part in this challenge, 2022 will be the year that changes.
Along the way I want to improve my coding skills, meet like minded people and use this experience to help my career. Nice to meet everyone.

Collapse

crumbhustler profile image
crumbhustler

Hey everyone! I'm joining CNC2022 to help push myself to code more and like many of you possibly switch to a career in tech. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone accomplishes! Really the biggest thing that has worked for me in the past is, you guessed it, actually putting time in to code. The last year has been a bit of a mess personally so excited to get back to coding and pushing myself more.

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Hello everyone, I’m Adwoa. I took this challenge to get back on track and become consistent with coding that is, Android development using Kotlin. I’m hoping to finish developing my app I never got to complete.

Hoping to connect with you all.

Collapse

yuhcee profile image
Uchenna Egbo • Edited

Hi everyone, I am Uchenna Egbo, I am from and based in Nigeria.

Apologies for doing this exercise now, I somehow forgot about my registration to #CNC2022, but I guess - Better Late than Never!

Moving on, I happy to be here and excited to catch up on everthing I have missed so far.
My Answers :

β€’ Being able to follow docs and use technologies relatively unknown to me to successfully setup and build projects gets me really excitied quickly.

β€’ I struggle when the project begins to grow larger and I begin to encouter some bottlenecks that exposes my limited knowlegde. I ultimately give up because its no longer exciting.

β€’ I want to become a person that codes daily for at least 3 - 6 months without overthinking the implementation details that ultimately grows bigger in my head and scares me that I don't even start in the first place. I just want to open my laptop and start coding away and commiting to Github daily to get my green activity heat map glowing all over.

Twitter
Github
Stay hacking!

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

Hi everyone!

I'm Eero, and I totally forgot this...

What has worked for me in the past is the "just do it" mentality, but lately that has not been enough. Life and other personal issues have sucked out all of my energy and motivation so I hope this will help me to get on track again.

Short term goal would thus be to just build that routine back. Longer term goal is to turn this into a job.

Collapse

supermari0s profile image
Marios

Hello all... I'm Marios and i'm ready for this challenge :) Let's do it !

Collapse

Brandon Redmond • Edited

Hey everyone!

My name is Brandon and I live in NYC.

I left my job about a year and a half ago as a high school computer science teacher to try and switch careers to become a developer. I have been teaching myself how to code and it has a bit lonely and tough learning everything on my own, but I have come a long way and I am proud to say I am becoming a much more confident and efficient developer every day.

I'm super pumped to get to build some community with people who are in a similar situation and just get to know some new people so we can learn and grow from each other.

I tend to go through spurts of coding every day for a couple months, then something happens in life where I am away from my desk for an extended period of time (family, travel, etc) and then have a difficult time getting back into it -- mostly becuase of the lack of accountability, I think.

I think that having a community here will help me hold myself accountable. I also love to learn and especially with other people. Collobaration and group learning really motivates me and I am looking forward to working with all of you.

My long term goals are to be able to turn development into a means of income. (full/part time or freelance). Also, to be in a position where I can help others learn and grow -- help people who were in my situation or something similar.

Short term goals for this cohort -- I already mentioned building a community of learners! Keep me accountable for getting work done. And meet some cool people to "talk shop" with and learn from each other.

My usual tech stack for web development is React/Javascript on the front end. Python/Flask on the back end. I'm also starting to learn some android development with Kotlin, also Flutter and Dart.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Have a great week.

Collapse

selly profile image
selly

Hi All, I am Selly.

I think it is pretty shameless to show up this late. I doubt whether I should write here or just move on to next mission, but think I should do what everyone do to be fair. I hope I can catch up tho...

So I am thinking all my knowledge (for work) is just all basic and cannot bring my self to more advance. I would like to focus on one subject at least (mobile dev, either iOS or Flutter) and hope to strenghten my skill through this event.

I try to follow udemy course. As the others I become inconsistent by the days goes when learning something, sometimes I drop the routine. But in some other times I actually managed to finish such a long tutorial, but when it ends I don't know what to do next.

I keep getting lost of purpose and motivation. I hope by joining this event, I can learn from other and give me somewhat motivation to keep going and do better.

Anyway thank you for reading.
I think my long and short term goals is building portofolio to boost up my confidence. So anyone want to build portofolio together, please pick me up.

Thanks!!

Collapse

atraisce profile image
Atraisce

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty late to the party but that's not going to stop me! I'm a Canadian who works in Higher Ed and dreams of more creative/artistic pursuits that involve technology. I have a background in STEM and started to learn coding in Basic and Java back in the day. Recently, I've been brushing up on Visual Basic and have gained quite a bit of experience working in C# for game development. I would like to branch out into JavaScript to diversify my skill set and acquire a language that is versatile and in high demand so I can create and use my coding skills to, potentially, work more in web design and development. Who knows where it can take me!

Collapse

cyndichin profile image
cyndichin

Hi everyone!

I'm Cyndi, a developer based in New York. I am joining this challenge to focus on a side project. I always start it and remake the app, but I never seem to complete it. Hoping this challenge will help motivate me to finish creating my first app! Looking forward to completing this challenge with everyone.

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron • Edited