CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 Cohort 1 "Learn in Public"] Tell us about your "Learn in Public" plan!

[#CNC2022 Cohort 1 "Learn in Public"] Tell us about your "Learn in Public" plan!

CodeNewbie Staff on January 30, 2022

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Learn in Public" Challenge. Mission 1 Thread After you've completed the read...
Collapse

fizzboop profile image
Byonca H. • Edited

1. What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge?

The topic choice for my Learn in Public challenge is the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.

2. Why did you pick this focus?

I am passionate about accessibility and want to deepen my knowledge. I also want to be knowledgeable of best practices and advise others.

3. Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others?

This will help people understand the WCAG 2.1 document and make informed decisions when creating applications.

4. Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling.

The title will be Learning Web Accessibility. I will share my posts on my dev.to blog and my twitter handle.

Collapse

nirbhayparmar profile image
Nirbhay Parmar

nice topic to explore because accessibility is very necessary in today's world and it should be followed on all web apps.

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

YES ACCESSIBILITY 👏
I would love to read about your focus series and will follow your journey.
I've read about it in the past but I could use a new, fresh insight on it.

Collapse

rkrupnick profile image
Rachel Krupnick

Oooh, I'll be following this one. We've made a lot of advances recently in this field, but lots to learn and teach.

Collapse

garystroupdeveloper profile image
Gary Stroup

Im taking the Google UX course and user accessibility is highly emphasized. Looking forward to learning more about this topic!

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

Accessibility is important and from what I have seen it's usually an after thought. Hopefully your work brings it to the forefront and others will want to be more inclusive.

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

1. What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge?
I'm going to rebuild my personal blog/website in Eleventy!

I started learning Eleventy in my 100 Days of Learning challenge over on DEV, and this is my third attempt at learning static site generators. I've got a better command of HTML/CSS/JS, git, markdown, and Netlify under my belt, so I figured now is the time to officially learn Eleventy and actually build something.

I'm sure there are plenty of other newbies who want to build a personal blog / get up and running with a website but don't want to use Wordpress or a similar platform. At least for me, I wanted to build a functioning site from the bottom up, quickly, but I don't have a lot of experience with CSS and making a site look good. I'll admit a lot of this is motivated by my own impatience, but if the end result is a functioning site that looks good, and is easy to add posts to, then that's a win! And I'm sure there are others out there who might resonate with that.

4. Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling.
"Building a Personal Blog with Eleventy"

I might add something witty like 'for impatient people' or 'for complete dev newbies' but this is the working title for now. I'm excited to get started!

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

There's no better motivation than building something for yourself. I have no idea what Eleventy is but it sounds exciting. Can't wait to see how your blog looks. Make sure to take some before and after screenshots.

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

I didn't think about before/after pics, great idea!! Thank you!

Collapse

unnamedrd profile image
Naj

Hi Lauren,

I'm super curious to see what your experience with this will be. Awhile ago I was researching options for blogs and I saw a tutorial on Eleventy but haven't had time to tackle it. Excited to see how it goes for you!

Collapse

tupaschoal profile image
Tulio Leao

Thanks for this answer, I also had no clue what Eleventy was before reading your post, so I learned something from your Learning in Public already :)

Collapse

Gary Stroup

Sounds awesome. I never heard of Eleventy so I am interested to learn more about it through your series!

Collapse

Khloe Brown

I've never heard of Eleventy! I look forward to learning about it (and how to build a blog too) 😁

Collapse

nirbhayparmar profile image
Nirbhay Parmar
  1. What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge? I have decided to take the javascript-30 series by wes bos in which we have to complete 30 different javascript projects in 30 days. I have already completed 7 projects from it and have to complete 23 more.
  2. Why did you pick this focus? I have chosen this because I want to build up my fundamentals in DOM manipulation using javascript, so i can learn react or node on top of it.
  3. Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others? Although the wes bos already explain the logic behind all the projects in javascript-30 series using videos, I want to simplify it more and also add my own twist to it like trying different possible solutions or adding another feature to it. This will make other developers think in more ways to solve a problem and to broaden their perspective.
  4. Share the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling. The title is ‘JavaScript-30 series with a different perspective’. The entries are based on different projects I do per week.
Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

Putting your own spin on work is a great idea. Your way of thinking will resonate with others who don't quite understand how Wes Bos does it and seeing it from your point of view might give them that "Aha." moment that they need to get the project done.

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

This is great! It will be really cool to see what insights you discover as you continue through the series. Looking forward to your posts!

Collapse

Khloe Brown

It's always nice to find a new JS resource. I look forward to following your learning journey!

Collapse

Gary Stroup

I definitely need a refresher on JavaScript. Looking forward to your posts

Collapse

azura_dios profile image
Azura Dios
    I have decided to learn DevOps and Cyber Security concepts. In DevOps I have decided to follow a youtube series and in cyber security I am gonna start with Hacking: the art of exploitation book.

Last year I was working on web dev but I end up not enjoying it so I left that. But this year I am gonna start tech that I realy like and I will make sure that unlike web dev I will reach a certain position before switching to somethin else.

I want to learn in public because I am sure that will keep me motivated enough to keep going and also I will see other people learn with me. And nothing is better that to learn grow with others.

I was thinking to share my jouney on my twitter handle and on github

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

I started doing web work as well and like you I didn't quite enjoy it. I kind of stumbled into iOS development and I love it. Hopefully DevOps works out for you.

Collapse

azura_dios profile image
Azura Dios

Thankyou for sharing that. It really motivated me ^_^

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

1. What concept/project have you decided to take on for the challenge?
I admit I struggled with this one. Initially I had no idea what I wanted to do. Then in the middle of this mission I had too many ideas and was constantly changing ideas. After giving it a lot of thought (and a couple of breaks later), my concept is a project series where I'll be building a quiz app with Ruby. My idea is to create a quiz app where users can answer quiz questions on Disney Princesses. The quiz app will calculate the score and shows users the result. Once the result is displayed, users can have the option to retake the quiz or exit the app.

2. Why did you pick it for yourself?
A lot of this really comes from what I'm learning right now. I'm learning Ruby on Rails right now so I've been reviewing lots of Ruby as I learn Rails. Although I have experience working with Ruby, I feel really rusty with Ruby so that's why I'm reviewing it. I feel like building a Ruby app like a quiz is a great way to help me keep reviewing and apply Ruby concepts.

My priority has always been sharing what I know and experience with others. The Original BritishPandaChick actually started with this principle by just sharing what I know and experienced in weekly posts. This is something I continued doing with My Coding Journey and later on BritishPandaChick Codes. Now that I’m starting a YouTube channel, that priority has evolved to be more positive and empowering. I am always thinking of my younger self as I code so I want to make something that my younger self would be able to watch and get a feeling that they could do it too.

With this quiz app, I hope it will help others get a sense of how developers think and problem solve when something arises. While developers don't post videos of them spending hours debugging code and running tests to fix an error, I want this series to stop and take a minute to summarize the steps I took fix the error, what I've tried, what didn't work, etc.

4.Share your series title as well as entries you anticipate creating and tackling.
This is my working version of what I've got so far. I tried thinking about as the basics I needed to make this app. As I work more on the project, I might add more to the app.

Series Title: Build a quiz app with Ruby (featuring the Disney Princesses)

Entry 1: Getting started and setup
Part 1: Introduction to the project, setting up directory and files, Getting the quiz questions working

Entry 2: Calculating the score
Part 2: Calculating the score and displaying results

Entry 3: Retake the quiz
Part 3: Create functionality that allows user to retake quiz or exit the app

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

This is a really fun project idea! I tried learning a little bit of ruby a few years back but didn't stick with it, and it's cool to see what others are building. I can't wait to see your video series!

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

I love your project idea. There's quite a few people that I follow on Twitter trying to learn Ruby so hopefully your series gets some followers.

Collapse

rkrupnick profile image
Rachel Krupnick

I love this idea! I am a huge fan of Ruby and this quiz sounds really fun :)

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Had a crazy weeks these 2 weeks, so I'm sooo behind.
But I'm trying to catch up.

I'm torn between React and accessibility.
But I think I will do React by creating a project and share some of the basic concepts as I go. At the end, I will share the project itself.

I have some experiences with React, but I never really learn it properly. So my knowledge is kind of scattered here and there, and this time around I want to learn React properly from basics.

I learned a lot from other people's learning journey. So I think sharing my journey in public would help others as well in some way 😊

I will continue the series that I created long time ago 😁 — React JS Log Blog

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Don't worry about being late @adiatiayu, personally, I am only able to focus on the challenge now 😝
I sense that, the more important is to commit to finish the challenge, even if we are a little bit off the time frame. 😉

I wonder if you have any ideas for the entries you want to add on your React series, or if you plan to come up with them during this challenge ?

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I finally pivoting to write about Git & GitHub as I encounter some problems with them 😅
And I've published the three of them 😄

How about you, @xav83?

Thread Thread

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot • Edited

Yes, I have seen ann read them (on Dev.to and on CodeNewbie😆) ! And particulary enjoyed this one ! 😄

I am curious, is there a specific reason why you decided to change your subject ?

For now, I am going through the Mission 2, I have chosen to focus on the tool pylint, as I will need to use it in my job, and I think it could help Python developers a lot.
I have also written an article about how I have handled the first Mission 😉

Thread Thread

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

The reason was simply because I and my teammate set our foot wrong in the beginning of our project collaboration.
We set up our environment as open-source instead of collaboration and we encountered some problems 😅

But because of the accident, we learned a lot more.
I want to share these experiences instead while they're still fresh.

I'm still struggling to understand some of React concepts that I'm learning.
So, I'm not ready to share them yet.

I read your article! Awesome that you wrote about it 🤩

Thread Thread

quitzonsandy profile image
quitzonsandy • Edited

Yet, the accident taught us a lot more.
Instead, while they are still recent, I want to talk about these experiences.

Several of the React principles I'm learning continue to baffle me.
I'm therefore not yet ready to reveal them. drift boss

Collapse

silvermanjonathan profile image
silvermanjonathan • Edited

I decided to take on the challenge of creating dashboards.

I had studied data science, to no avail. The hurdle for professional employment in data science is very high: a Masters or Phd. is required. When I search for less technical data jobs, like a data analyst, I read of responsibilities I know nothing about, like dashboard creation. This is my weakest link I want to improve, in the hopes I can find employment.

Sharing my learning journey might facilitate others creating a dashboard purely for themselves. Not just businesses, dash-boarding can be useful to individuals.
We create personal data all the time. Making a dashboard of our own personal data could give us insight into our lives.

The title of my series is called: Dashboarding For Fun.
The first post of the series will be "The Art of Dashboarding".
The second post will be "Sourcing Data for a Personal Dashboard".
The third post will be "Deploying a Dashboard Live"

Collapse

moferg0 profile image
Marshall Ferguson

This sounds super interesting, looking forward to checking out your content about dashboards. Have you decided on a tool, like Tableau or Power BI, to focus on?

Collapse

silvermanjonathan profile image
silvermanjonathan

I want to stay in the Python ecosystem. Therefore, I will use the Python library known as Dash.

Collapse

moferg0 profile image
Marshall Ferguson
  1. At first I wanted to cover Data Science/Machine Learning, but after realizing this was far too broad of a topic to cover in three installments, I picked Linear Regressions as a more specific focus.

2. I picked this topic for a few reasons, the main one being that we covered Linear Regressions in the grad program I am a part of. After taking a break from the program, my skills and knowledge got a bit rusty, so I want to review this topic before resuming my coursework.

3. I think Data Science and Machine Learning is an interesting topic to a lot of people, and I want to effectively communicate how to perform and interpret a commonly used model without getting bogged down in the underlying math.

4. Series Title: How to Perform and Interpret Linear Regressions
    Entry 1: What Type of Data is Suitable for Linear Regressions?
    Entry 2: How to Perform Linear Regressions Using Python and sci-kit learn.
    Entry 3: How to Interpret Results Generated by Linear Regressions.

Collapse

Gary Stroup

This is a great topic. I first got hooked into data science by Kirill Eremenko and his SuperDataScience podcasts. Looking froward to your posts.

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras
    One thing that was quickly mentioned in bootcamp while I was learning was Testing. I know just enough to understand what it is and why it’s useful, but not enough to actually write my own tests. I think I would want to start with an overview of Test Driven Development and then move on to building a simple app while incorporating Tests as the app is built and finally add tests to an existing application. I think this last option would resonate the most with others, because I have lots of apps but maybe only 1 has tests and I have a feeling that others are the same way.

My current company has tons of files for tests and when I add a feature I feel lost on how to add tests that would be useful. I need to get better at this.

I don't often see many tutorials especially for people beginning their journey on how to write tests. I don't even see a mention of it most of the time. However being in the work world I see how it can bring value to people learning to know that it can be useful to write tests.

Why and How to write tests for iOS development before and after the app

Collapse

sparsell profile image
Sonja Parsell

Brilliant topic, Claudia! I was close to doing this myself so I will definitely be consuming what you produce. (BTW: hello from Moms Can:Code and Moms In Tech (Slack). I knew I recognized your name from somewhere...) :)

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

Hello, It's good to see you and follow what you do as well.

Collapse

unnamedrd profile image
Naj

I haven't seen very many tutorials on writing tests, so I'm definitely looking forward to your posts. Thanks for tackling this!

Collapse

Khloe Brown • Edited

Hello, Hello 👋 Sorry, I'm late to the party! Speaking of being late, I chose a topic that should help me be more productive next time. 😉

I have decided to take on creating a series on productivity methods for developers for the “Learn in Public” challenge.

I picked my focus on productivity because I need to learn some better ways to tackle work and studies (as a developer and in life). The biggest obstacle in my workload as a developer is that I cannot follow through with anything I try to do (whether its working on a project, learning a language, writing consistently or even completing this challenge). I’m done with half-finishing things so I want to explore and learn some methods to help me finish what I set out to do.

I think my journey will help others because it’s a broad topic that I can see many people, including some of the inexperienced audience on this platform, need for all sorts of things one does as a developer. Productivity can help research, projects, technical writing and even mental health.

The series title will be “Productivity for Developers”. I plan to have entries such as

• “P1: The Start Line (Best Methods)”
    • “P2: The Marathon (Doing the Work)”
    • “P3: The Finish Line? (Onwards and Upwards)”.

I also plan to have a “bonus” part with some different types of useful resources to further learn from.

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

I am looking forward to your series. This is something that I really need to get better at.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hi everyone! I'm Neha. I struggled to pick a focus since there's various areas I want to improve on and learn about ranging from C++ to Web Development. Ultimately I chose to focus on Python since it will provide me a good scope for this challenge. Here are my responses:

I decided to focus on Basic Data Analysis in Python.

I picked this focus since I have dabbled in some Python over the past few years but have not felt confident enough in my abilities. I hope this challenge will help me solidify my knowledge.

I think there is a lot to cover with data analysis and my journey will help others find a potential starting point.

Title: Creating Visualizations for a Data Set using Python Libraries
Entry 1: Clean the data
Entry 2: Applying Matplotlib
Entry 3: Applying Pandas

Collapse

tupaschoal profile image
Tulio Leao

Hello Neha, and good luck on your challenge. I'm curious as to why you decided to move away from C++, being a C++ developer myself.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hi Tulio, I feel I don't know enough C++ yet to write articles for this Learn in Public Challenge. I do plan to build my skill set in C++ and build projects to solidify my knowledge later this year. Best of luck to you on this challenge!

Collapse

tupaschoal profile image
Tulio Leao

I am a board game aficionado and in the process of enjoying this hobby a lot, I decided to log all my plays on boardgamegeek.com, so I would be able to get stats on winning percentage, number of plays, etc. A few years later, the Brazilian alternative to that website appeared, and since I live in Brazil, I wanted to synchronize my data with this new website. I found someone who did a script to do exactly that, but it was a command line interface with lots of room for improvement, so I went ahead and improved it, even implementing a GUI with Qt for Python.

Now I want tot rewrite it all in Rust :D

Rust is trendy and we all know it, I keep telling myself that I want to learn it, but then never do. I think choosing to rebuild something which I've contributed so much and use every week, but in Rust, will have me motivated to do it!

Because of the interest that is around Rust now and also because, from what my preliminary work tells, GUIs in Rust are not actively explored yet, so it feels like a good place to start creating content for.

Rewriting a Python GUI application in Rust - How hard can it be?
Entry 1: Part 1: Setting up Rust and choosing the GUI framework
Entry 2: Part 2: Recreating the app with the same functionalities
Entry 3: Part 3: Adding new functionality and bundling the app

Collapse

Gary Stroup

I have decided to learn more about CSS flexbox and Grid. So I will be building a responsive website using both of these tools.

1. Why did you pick this focus?

I chose this topic because being able to build a website that looks great on any screen size is more important than ever these days. Building a responsive website is challenging but understanding the fundamentals of flexbox and grid will make the job much easier.

1. Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others?

Having a solid foundation in responsive design will be helpful for any developer learning web or mobile development.

1. Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling.

Series Title: Build an responsive website using CSS Grid and Flexbox

Entry 1: Part 1: CSS Grid vs Flexbox...What's the difference?
Entry 2: Part 2: Create the landing page
Entry 3: Part 3: Build the athlete's profile card

The theme will be inspired by the 2022 Winter Olympics. The website won't be a complete website but just a partial website. I just want to introduce the concepts and provide a "real life demo" since the scope of this series is on responsive design.

Collapse

rkrupnick profile image
Rachel Krupnick
  1. What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge? I'm going to be focusing on React since that's what I am focusing on learning right now. More specifically, I am going to write about concepts, or ways to think about working in React to make it easier.
  2. Why did you pick this focus? I've been trying to improve my React skills and while trying to really tease apart some of the CS theory that goes with it- mutability/immutability, imperative vs declarative programming, designing components, functional programming- I really wanted to dig in to these theories and share how they relate to and are used in React.
  3. Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others? I know a lot of people are learning React right now, this should help them figure out how to think about it. Also, many of us don't have a computer science degree so we have not studied this sort of theory.
  4. Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling. React Concepts for Everyone
  5. Intro - Why Do I Need to Know This Stuff?
  6. Declarative Programming Broken Down
  7. Thinking in Components
  8. Why Does Code 'Mutate', and Why Should I Care?
Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

This is a great area to cover, I look forward to your posts!

Collapse

chrisotewa profile image
ChrisOtewa

What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge?

I have decided to unlearn and relearn and the fundamentals of frontend web development. I am taking a six months web development course which also happens to be a part of a scientific research aiming to develop an online course builder with best instructional design practices.

Why did you pick this focus?

In the past couple of months, I have been down web3/blockchain rabbit hole where I have learned and acquired some basic knowledge in building Dapps, Daos and Nfts. However, I thought it wise to take a few steps back and build a strong Web2 foundation before fully transitioning into the Web3 world.

Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others?

Learning in public will help others who are starting out to have an end-to-end visibility journey on how to fully transition into web3 development. Thus, appreciating the importance of discipline in keeping the fire of motivating burning.

Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling.

Title: The prerequisites for web3 Development
Entry 1: Web Design
Entry 2: HTML
Entry 3: CSS
Entry 4: JavaScript
Entry 5: Databases

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

This sounds like a great idea! I look forward to your posts!

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Hi everyone ! 🙂

Well... I am a bit late 😅
But I still want to complete this challenge, so I will do it now even if I am the last one to complete it ! And, to make myself accountable, I have created a blog post about how this first Mission, about what I learned while doing it, and as a way to turn in the homework of this first Mission.

So every week, for the next 5 weeks, I will post a new article about the next Missions, and at the end, I will have a series of articles which will show everything I have learned throughout this challenge. I really enjoy that idea ! It will be a big win for me 🙂

As for the subject of this challenge, I am going to create a series on the tool Pylint, and the way to integrate it in different CI/CD systems. I have detailed everything about that in my article.

I see you all next week for the second Mission

Until then, have a splendid day 🙂

Collapse

funmitoblessed profile image
Olúwafúnmitọ́ Blessed

I chose the Learning in Public challenge because my current role requires that I learn to use a new statistical software package I have never used before. I've struggled to prioritize learning it own my own as it seems a little daunting.

For my professional growth and development.

I believe it will help anyone who might be sharing the same feelings of fright when faced with the challenge of learning a new concept.

I have chosen to title my series An Introduction to Basic Analysis and Visualization in Stata. Each week, I'll publish my learning on the following entries:

Entry 1: Getting Started with Stata: Introduction and Basic syntax
Entry 2: Exploring Data in Stata
Entry 3: Manipulating Data in Stata
Entry 4: Data Visualization in Stata