CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 Cohort 1] "Start Coding" Welcome Thread

[#CNC2022 Cohort 1] "Start Coding" Welcome Thread

CodeNewbie Staff on January 30, 2022

Hello and welcome to #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Welcome Thread for Cohort 1! We're so excited you've committed to this five-week...
Collapse

jdanielsdev profile image
Jason Daniels

Hello everyone! My name is Jason and I am excited to get started with the Start Coding challenge. I decided to participate because I've always tried coding alone, and not with anyone else to support or motivate me. I am hoping I will be able to break the cycle of tutorial hell and get through to more productive learning.

I'm excited that I don't feel like I'll be doing this alone. I'm hoping I can be involved in the community and for that to help motivate me. I'm also planning to tweet out daily thoughts and ideas over at jdanielsdev on Twitter.

I'm nervous that I will fail again. But I've failed so many times, what's one more?

I am fascinated about how coding can break all limits. If you think of a tool that would be useful and none exists, make it. If there's something that can't be done, code a way to make it possible. Coding has broken so many limits in the past.

Here's to a great #CNC2022!

Collapse

cmilesuk profile image
Chris Miles

This is really relatable Jason.

Most of my existing (small) coding experience is from having a problem I needed to solve at work - bolting together VBA snippets copied from StackOverflow and the like to automate things in Excel, working with SAS statistical analysis and SQL because someone at work felt I had enough experience because of the aforementioned VBA, writing HTML and some (ugly) CSS in an attempt to make SharePoint pages slightly more engaging. Every attempt to translate those snippets of learning in the past have failed - partly because of the lack of a problem to solve, mainly because of allowing myself to get frustrated and bored, and of course because of my amazing ability to judge myself harshly for not learning something immediately when I haven't even allowed myself time to digest it!

Hopefully having likeminded people around me will assist to make this time different.

Let's go #CNC2022

Collapse

lexis9784 profile image
Alexis B

Hey Jason!! I completely get the fear of failure, but at the same time, if you've learned something new have you really failed? :-) I look forward to seeing succeed in the upcoming weeks!!

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

Same boat here!
Tutorial hell has me on a loop, but i hope this challenge brings an end to it.
I'm rooting for you too!! ✊

Collapse

leekwamboka profile image
Leonorah

Hello Jason, this time is the charm! I am rooting for you.

Collapse

ameyer23 profile image
Andrea M.

Excellent and relatable post! Looking forward to seeing all of us get the most of this challenge!

Collapse

ksmmaloney profile image
Kathy Maloney

Hi Jason, great to meet you and I just started following you on Twitter!

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi • Edited

Nice write up Jason!πŸ‘πŸΎ
Who knows, one more could be that break out you desire!

Rooting for you mate!

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner

So relatable! We're all going to see this throug

Collapse

jseda85 profile image
Jeffrey Seda

Pleasure to meet you Jason! I look forward to seeing your journey as the weeks go by! I will follow your twitter so I can see your progress. You got it this time man! Lets do this!

Collapse

Leonorah

Hello fellow cohorts.
My name is Leonorah, a trained teacher who is trying to learn some coding. I have always been fascinated by the world of tech, specifically programming, and after months of self-sabotaging, I thought why not start the year with a goal to finally learn this!
I am both excited and terrified, and looking forward to interacting and learning with you all.

All the best in this new journey!

Collapse

ameyer23 profile image
Andrea M.

heyyy! Fellow teacher here! Wishing you all the luck!

Collapse

Leonorah

I am so elated that I am not the only teacher here

Collapse

Leonorah

Thank you Andrea, good luck too!!

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Happy to see plenty of other educators here! I'm not a classroom teacher but currently working in college admin!

Collapse

Leonorah

OH wow!! all the best in this journey.

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Hello Leonorah, I’m Kingsley.
What are you looking to build?

Wishing you all the best in your journey!

Collapse

Leonorah

Hello Kingsley, I am still figuring this whole new world out. But the first step I am taking is learning the basics and then start with python. The rest will fall in place hopefully, haha!

Collapse

mijost45 profile image
mijost45

Hi Leonora!
I'm also a teacher and starting the year with this challenge. :)

Good luck on your journey!

Collapse

Leonorah

Wow, good luck too in this journey.

Collapse

lexis9784 profile image
Alexis B

Hey all! My name is Alexis. I've dabbled on and off in coding for years, but life tends to get in the way and I fall off. Now that life is slowing down, I'm hoping to put more of my time into the things I enjoy doing, like coding.

I am excited about learning new things and expanding on my current knowledge.

I'm not really nervous about anything, just excited to get started!

I love learning new skills and the joy I get seeing something I coded come to life and work is so wonderful!

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Hi Alexis, I’m Taylor, nice to e-meet you.

I’m completely new to coding and I’m eager to see what I create come to life. What do you want to create?

Collapse

lexis9784 profile image
Alexis B

Hi Taylor!!

I've coded a couple of things through FreeCodeCamp, but I ultimately (long term) want to get into building my own website and app for my side business.

I will say one of they most frustrating and most rewarding moments in learning to code is when you get stuck on something and are able to figure it out and make it work!!

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Hello Alexis, I’m Kingsley and I totally resonate around your last paragraph. The feeling is bliss!

Cheers to crushing #CNC2022πŸ₯‚

Collapse

jseda85 profile image
Jeffrey Seda

Hello ALexis! I wish you the best in your coding challenge and may you get the best out of it! I look forward to this challenge alongside all of you!

Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong

Hello, I'm Raphael. I've seen quite some coding challenges out there but those are always the competition type of challenges. But when I saw this codenewbie challenge which is done in assignment-like mode, I'm sure I'll be learning new things and therefore decided to participate.

The most interesting thing that I find about coding is that most of the stuff can be solve in a logical way. Memorising stuff that doesn't contain any sort of logic never worked for me, my brain just shuts downπŸ˜‚

Collapse

maluckett profile image
Maluckett

Hello Raphael,

I am such a logical thinker as well and I agree that a lot of coding problem solving can be done in a logical way. It will be challenging and fun!!

Collapse

natdavison profile image
Natalie Davison

Hi guys! My name is Natalie. I've been meaning to teach myself to code for ages, and have spent quite a bit of time flitting between resources, but I always end up fizzling out. I decided to join this challenge to make myself accountable, get more involved in the WebDev community and really jump in to my learning.

I'm really excited to properly knuckle down and start my learning journey and to meet some new people.

I'm not really nervous about anything (yet!), but I'm sure I'll find something along the way lol.

The most interesting thing about coding to me is being able to build something from scratch and also solve problems.

Happy coding everyone!

Collapse

jseda85 profile image
Jeffrey Seda

I wish you the best on your coding journey and may you learn so much along the way. I look forward to your progress as the weeks go by!

Collapse

natdavison profile image
Natalie Davison

Thank you so much! Same goes to you :)

Collapse

thatohgi profile image
thatohgi

Hey I’m thatohgi, I joined CodeNewbie to get started coding and be with a community that I can count on for support. I am excited to getting started on my coding journey, I’m also nervous to be starting my coding journey. The most interesting thing about coding to me is when I hit enter and finding out if this jumble of letters I mashed together actually works.

Collapse

tina_vieira1820 profile image
Tina Vieira

Hello everyone!! My name is Tina and I am currently teaching AP Computer Science Principles. I have been a teacher for 17 years, but this is my first year teaching computer science. I decided to undertake this challenge as a way of sharpening my own skills. I did some coding in college, but that was a million years ago and systems change. I want to be the best possible teacher for my kids, and I also want to be able to expand the program. In order to do that, I need more knowledge myself.

I'm most excited about the connections that can/will be made by participating in this cohort. While it will be great to learn, I know that building a community of coding friends/contacts is what will give me longevity in learning.

I don't really think I'm nervous about anything. I guess the only thing that might be weighing on my mind is will this be what I need to find my focus when it comes to learning code. I think with all the possible languages, and nuances for each language, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I just hope that I can sort it all out to make better sense of it.

I find coding in general to be very interesting. I like the puzzle aspect of it and the critical thinking that goes along with debugging.

Collapse

billdapart profile image
Arthur Fedderson

Hi, my name is Arthur and I have always struggled with coding, but I am determined. Hope to complete this challenge and come away with something I can showcase. Pleased to meet you all, and best of luck in your own journeys!

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

We will definitely crush it bro!
Rooting for you!

Collapse

nicholasemma profile image
Nicholas Onyocho

HI guys,
My name is Nicholas, a young Data Scientist. I have been learning coding with Python for some months now. I decided to hoin the "Start Coding" challenge to further exoand my knowledge and try my hands on various other challenges.

I am so excited at the opportunity to gain and acquire more knowledge by taking on different challenges.

For me, providing solutions to problems is the most interesting thing about coding to me.

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B. • Edited

My name is Taylor. I’ve been interested in coding for a while but never took the time to learn it. Now I’m ready to dedicate my time to learning how to do it.

I’m excited to learn by doing and gain a new skill.

Not nervous, but eager to get started 😊

I think it’s fascinating that you can learn languages to build websites, software, and solve solutions. A few years ago I accidentally clicked source code on a webpage and it blew my mind to see the code behind it. I like being creative and solving problems and I think coding opens the door to do both.

Collapse

miz_jaey profile image
Jay-Fred31
  1. My name is Joyce, a young heart and beginner in web development. I have been learning the concepts in Javascript and how to apply it in a web page, I am now at the stage where I believe I should try my hands on different challenges which is my reason for joining "Start Coding" CHALLENGE.

2. The opportunity to learn and expand my knowlege through the different code challenges.

3. I not nervous. Just excited

4. Solving problems and seeing my solution work. This is satisfying

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

Hi! My name is Tom! I am a beginner at learning web development, currently learning and enhancing my knowledge in JavaScript. I decided to participate in the "Start Coding" challenge because I want to learn more and more everyday, I also want to learn by doing.

I am really excited to meet some new people and enhance my knowledge more in coding by coding.

I am not nervous at all, very eager and excited to get started.

The most interesting thing about coding to me is that there is many solutions to a question.

Collapse

bailandocubita profile image
Kate Mora Woods

Hi Tom - the thing you find most interesting is actually the thing I find most frustrating about coding! Haha. I tend to be a very black and white/right and wrong type person so the fact that there are multiple solutions to the same problem is so frustrating as a learner/beginner! But I know it's good for me :)

Collapse

mijost45 profile image
mijost45

Hi everyone. I'm mijost and I've decided to take part in this challenge because I had to start somewhere, right?

To be honest, I'm a total beginner. Two days ago I started learning the basics of JavaScript so I'm still quite illiterate, but it feels good, accomplishing stuff out of my comfort zone, which is what I'm most excited about. I come from the humanities and I've been having a tough time getting jobs that are actually interesting, so I figured I might as well tap into another field that I had never considered for myself.

I'm nervous about failing, of course, because I'm trying to prove to myself that I am able to learn a skill when I'm no longer a teenager but I'm also not so much into keeping myself accountable on social media, because if I lost interest in coding and stopped half-way through this challenge, it wouldn't be the first time I quit something, and it wouldn't be the first time the world would know. I'm doing this for myself and I don't regard my presence in social media to be as important as to share my personal journeys on it. Sure, I'll rant and scream on Twitter if I ever feel frustrated but that's it.

The most interesting thing about coding, and I recently discovered this just learning the basics on JS, is to create stuff. I knew websites were more complex than what the user sees on their screen but to actually envision the depth of programming, and not just websites but everything is awe inspiring.

Collapse

mmadz profile image
M&M πŸ‘©πŸΎβ€πŸ’»

I feel you on the failing part, but no worries! I am hoping that your determination and motivation takes over and you and the rest of us complete and move forward with our journeys. πŸ’œ

Collapse

mijost45 profile image
mijost45

Thanks! I hope the same for you too. :)

Collapse

maluckett profile image
Maluckett

My name is Mallie, starting my coding journey by being a part of this cohort and challenge. I have always wanted an opportunity to learn about the different aspects of coding. I am excited about learning a new language in a world that's growing by leaps and bounds. Yes, I do have tech issues, but I hope to overcome them with lots of hands on training from this platform and community out reach.

The most interesting part of coding is seeing a project come to life from the inside out and I love to problem solve. I can't wait to get started.

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Hello everyoneπŸ‘‹πŸΎ,I’m Kingsley. Decided to participate to practice more of the little I’ve learnt so far and write codes more confidently.

I’m excited about connecting with like minds and learning from everyone.

Getting the conviction to get started was the hard part for me. Learning has been smooth, but i get a bit nervous when i open a blank editor lol. Hopefully, with constant practice it will be a thing of the past.

Building websites, bringing my ideas to life and getting past difficult hurdles is fascinating.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Hi All, my name is Ryan and I started playing around with some basic HTML/CSS courses a month or so ago (with zero previous experience). I've really been enjoying it but wanted to challenge myself to do more and also start putting what I've learned towards practical uses.

I'm most excited to confront new challenges and continue learning but I'm also excited to meet folks who are in similar situations to me.

As far as nerves, I guess I would say I'm always a bit nervous venturing into completely unknown territory, but I also think we learn best by pushing past the limits of our "comfort zone."

What I find most interesting about coding is the problem-solving nature of it. Having a goal in mind and having to figure out how exactly to develop that finished product. I've had a website for years but never understood how any of it actually worked. It's been fun as I've gone through lessons to learn more about how specific aspects of my site actually function!

Collapse

ameyer23 profile image
Andrea M. • Edited

Hello, I am Andrea and I live in Dallas. I am currently a high school science teacher looking to make the switch into thech this year. I joined the challenge in order to keep myself accountable and be part of a community. If you'd like, give me a follow on Twitter @ameyer_tech

I feel like most of my self-learning journey so far has been pretty lonely so connecting with you all is truly one of the things that really makes me excited. What makes me nervous? Oof, my insecurities. I feel like sometimes I doubt myself too much and that is definitely something I would like to work on during this challenge. After all, so many have successfully made it past this phase I am in.

Coding has such a massive potential to do so. freakin. much. It's mindblowing that in coding, we solve problems we face today and can quite literally prepare for the problems that we are yet to ecounter.

Collapse

jesseniamagdaleno profile image
jessenia-magdaleno

Hi! My name is Jessenia (Jessy). I joined the β€œStart Coding” challenge to get more practice/hands on of the little bit of coding I’ve learned. Hoping it would help me feel more confident as a coder.

I’m excited to learn new things and also hopefully meet some new people.

I don’t think I’m nervous just very excited to start the challenge.

The most interesting thing about coding to me is seeing how many different solutions there are to a problem.

Collapse

jahnvi15 profile image
jahnvi15

Hey I am Jahnvi , I have always had interest in coding since the beginning. Currently I am a fresher exploring new languages .I really want to be regular in my coding lessons and that's why I am here.
I am not nervous, mostly very excited for this !
Most interesting thing about coding is just solving problems and developing new programs . I think the joy of completing that project you are working on after critically thinking and debugging is really amazing.

Collapse

ksmmaloney profile image
Kathy Maloney • Edited

Hello everyone, my name is Kathy and I'm here to restart my stalled coding journey. And because Saron is awesome and I love the CodeNewbie podcast! I'm excited about connecting with others who are just starting out. It's been difficult to stay motivated on my own. I'd say I'm nervous about finding the time to stay committed; so many other things going on at the moment. To me the most interesting thing about coding is that it's constantly changing and it's something you can continue doing for a lifetime.

Collapse

iyudhi profile image
Ivan

Hello! I've decided to join the coding challenge because I feel if I know how to code, I'm able to accomplish many things I'm interested in doing?

I'm excited that it's a new start, but I'm also nervous that it will not do anything for me. I've tried learn coding for so many years, but always got stuck and gave up. But I always stand back up and try more.

Most interesting thing is basically I get to do a lot of fun and interesting stuff. Yeah I know it's a generic answer, but I don't see the point of making it more complicated.

Collapse

bailandocubita profile image
Kate Mora Woods

Hola! My name is Kate and I am participating in the Start Coding challenge because I need to get back in to a daily coding habit. In June last year I graduated from a 6 month Full Stack JavaScript bootcamp program and within 3 weeks from graduating was hired at a development agency as a Technical Project Manager. I love my job! But I don't work in the code as much as I'd like so I need to force myself to keep coding. I'm excited for the challenges through this platform as I am super competitive with myself, but not so much with others. Haha I'm mostly nervous about just finding the time to complete the challenges, as a full-time working mother with several side hustles there are just never enough hours!

I'd say the most interesting thing about coding to me is how universal it is. I have a bilingual family with lots of family overseas, and even in countries like Cuba where resources are so sadly limited, things like crypto currency are taking hold and that is very exciting!

Collapse

ksmmaloney profile image
Kathy Maloney

Hi Kate, great to meet you and I'm hoping you'll share about your experience with your bootcamp. Cheers!

Collapse

azirserinus profile image
Azir

⭐Henlo! I'm Azir! :D I wanted to participate in the start coding challenge because I've honestly been trying to do it on my own for years but I could never consistently practice the basics so I'd need to relearn things all over again! :( I'm hoping the structure and social pressure of joining will help me kick start and actually get to making and finishing a small but at least a project!
⭐There will be so many peeps just like me trying to get started in coding!
⭐I'm nervous I won't stick to it :(
⭐All the cool things you can make!! Websites, games, apps, etc!

Collapse

jesseniamagdaleno profile image
jessenia-magdaleno

Hi Azir!
I feel like I’ve been in the same cycle of having to relearn things as well. Because I’m not consistent with any course I start.
Hoping we both gain some new skills In this challenge.
Cheers & happy coding!

Collapse

mmadz profile image
M&M πŸ‘©πŸΎβ€πŸ’»

Hello Newbie Buddies, my name is Madelynn!
A series of unfortunate and fortunate events lead me here. Coding has me hooked, I dove into the rabbit hole and found the excitement I had as a kid when I would figure difficult things out. I joined the "Start Coding" Challenge to learn of course but to make sure I am learning the right things. It's such a jungle of information when it comes to coding.

Only thing i'm nervous about is keeping up and the excited nervousness.
Most interesting thing about coding to me is that creativity and the problem solving skills you use. Also the amazing outcomes that you get by just typing in the right puzzle piece.

Having a community like this is awesome and I feel less alone.
Super happy I was able to find this gem of a challenge.
I am pumped and I know my fellow cohorts are too!! We got this challenge!! πŸ’ͺ

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner

Hi all, I'm Kierra and I'm excited to get started. I decided to participate because I made up my mind that I was done putting off learning to code. I am going to stick with coding and see it through. I am excited to learn something new. I am nervous that I will feel "imposter syndrome" and discourage myself. Being able to make things, "apps" and learn coding languages is exciting to me! And having a coding community!

Collapse

chester149 profile image
James Kerfoot

Hi everyone, my name is James. Great to meet you all! I really echo Jason Daniels comments and share many of the same thoughts.

I really value that sense of community with any development journey so I'm excited to get involved and learn along side you all.

I wouldn't say that I'm feeling nervous particulary, more intrigued about what is to come.

When thinking back, I've been interested in coding since my early days, copying code out of a book on to a ZX Spectrum. I've always enjoyed creativity and technology, so learning to code is like a perfect storm!

Lets do this :)

Collapse

Leonorah

Hi James, I agree that community is very essential in learning. Let's do this!

Collapse

randkn profile image
Randy Knight

Hello all, I'm Randy and very excited to be here. I joined to ensure I begin learning the proper way and to get started on the right foot. The most interesting thing about coding is the ability to literally create any kind of technology or functionality that might be of use to others.

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096

Hello everyone, I’m Koshiro and I’m participating in the Start Coding. I participated in this same challenge last year, but I try it again!

My reason for joining Start Coding is, just want to improve my tech skills to get job chances. I’m freelance web developer since 2018, but my business doesn’t well after the coronavirus pandemic. So, I want to learn new skills which can help my business and explore other possibilities.

Learning alone is tough for me, so I’m excited about learning with the people in this community!

I'm not really nervous about β€œlearning” because I’m highly motivated to learn the new things. But, I’m nervous about my time - I’m always busy for my work etc, so I’ll try to do my best to make time to learn this year.

I believe that good code can make people’s life better and that is the most interesting thing about coding to me.

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

Hello everyone! My name is David and I am happy to be here and to get started with this challenge, i decided to participate as a commitment to improve and skill-up this 2022 after numerous attempts.

I'm excited that I'll not be in this alone but I'll be in a community of people who will readily give a helping hand when I am falling behind and push me to be and do better.

I'm nervous that i might not make it till the end like all the others I've tried, but I'll do my best to make it.🀞

I love to make things from the ground up and i see coding as an avenue to make those things, to solve those problems and ultimately have fun while doing it.

Thank you πŸ™

cnc2022 #startcoding

Collapse

tri3iakatq profile image
Tri3iaKatQ

Hi! I'm Trish and I'm trying to get back in the game after a long hiatus. This "Start Coding" appealed to me bc I felt it could act as a road map and walk how to become a very good coder starting right at the fundamentals. I am a bit nervous about time; coding is a hands on, takes time learning effort. My interest in coding is pretty expected...writing some (or a whole lot) of lines of code and something cool happens! Looking forward to the challenges and collaborating with the cohort.

Collapse

jseda85 profile image
Jeffrey Seda

Hello everyone! My name is Jeff and I joined this challenge because I have been having a hard time focusing myself in learning how to code. I seem to get distracted a lot or putting up excuses and so on. I want this so bad but I need to put more effort so I decided to join this challenge to push myself a little more in my pursuit of leaving my career in banking and become a front end developer.
I am looking forward to connect with anyone who is looking for a study partner or anyone looking for accountability, motivation, really anything to get to the finish line! lol Let's connect and good luck everyone for the next 5 weeks and onward!

Collapse

rndmarquez profile image
Ron

Hi all! My name is Ron and I’m happy to be here. I decided to join the β€œStart Coding” cohort to break me out from coding tutorials and learn a different way.

I’m excited for the new challenges and applying what I learned.

I’m nervous about my time management skills. I’m not sure what to expect or how much life will get busy, but I hope learning with the group will keep me accountable.

The most important thing about coding is opening more doors to learn different aspects of the ever growing industry and just to apply what I learn to solve problems

Collapse

whit profile image
Whitney

Hello. I’m new to coding and hoping to learn.

Collapse

clintonstrange profile image
Clint Strange

Hello everyone, I am Clint. I have had a "on again/off again" journey with coding over the past year and hope to build consistency in 2022. I am looking forward to engaging with this community to stay motivated and develop my coding skills. I am a little nervous about time management and consistently making time to code everyday, even if it is just a little. It is fascinating to think of all the ideas that started with a little line of code that grew and grew.

Wish everyone well on their journey!
Happy Coding!

Collapse

gtwy profile image
Vladimir Rybalsky

Hello everyone, I just decided to participate in this challenge, it's more interesting together)

Collapse

rmouni16 profile image
Moni

Hi Jason and everyone I can totally relate to your experiences. Wish we will give our best this time with help from each other.