CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for CodeLand 2021 Hallway β€” Day Two
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

CodeLand 2021 Hallway β€” Day Two

Welcome to the Day Two CodeLand 2021 Hallway!

Your place to meet other attendees and share in the collective CodeLand experience.

Here Are Some Ways Use the CodeLand 2021 Hallway

1. Introduce yourself
  2. Chat with other attendees
  3. Share photos of where you're joining us from (pet photos are enthusiastically encouraged, too!)
  4. Recommend your favorite CodeLand talks to others (just drop the link to your favorite posts once they become available in the schedule
  5. Tell us about your coding journey so far

Remember: We're raffling off a handful of limited-edition laptop stickers to folks who engage on CodeNewbie Community during the event. Our team will be keeping an eye on the hallway and picking lucky winners based on your comments, so don't be shy... participate! πŸ’š

πŸ™‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈ Need Help?

Send us a message in the #questions-for-staff channel within the the CodeLand 2021 Discord (staff will appear in blue), or email us at codeland@codenewbie.org if you prefer to get private help.

One more thing

Hit subscribe on this thread if you want to keep up with folks popping in and introducing themselves in the comments. You can do that with any post on the site and you might enjoy experiencing the conference that way. πŸ‘‡

Top comments (87)

Collapse
Collapse

ana profile image
ammpedro • Edited

Truffle: zzzz

Truffle and I are staying up for day 2 πŸ˜…

Collapse

varghesejose2020 profile image
Varghese Jose

Hi

Collapse

ana profile image
ammpedro

Hey there ☺️ how are you enjoying Codeland so far?

Thread Thread

Varghese Jose

Yes

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hey hey!

Thread Thread

Varghese Jose

Hi

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

Truffle is adorable! 😍

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Awwwwww

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Awww

Collapse

andrewprohde profile image
Andy Rohde (he/him)

Good morning fellow CodeNewbies! Meetings this morning kept me from joining in earlier, but now I have coffee and I'm ready to go!
Me with my favorite mug

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Good mug :)

Collapse

deweyhammers profile image
Richard Dewey Hammers

Hahah this is great!

Collapse

itsasine profile image
Kayla

Cat curled up in bed asleep

The cat is so ready for day two

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Haha! So perfectly curled up on that fluffy little bed.

Collapse

itsasine profile image
Kayla

The biggest surprise was that I bought a bed and he actually sleeps in it

Collapse

Varghese Jose

Cute

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

😍

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

❀️

Collapse

brittanyhuntzberry profile image
Brittany Huntzberry

Hey, good morning from the Phoenix area in Arizona, United States! You can call me Brittany, I use she/her pronouns.

I do web dev stuff. I'd like to do more writing, documentation, and share what I learn in the future.

Here's a photo of my pet rat, Chirp. She's my favorite model.
alt text

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

πŸ˜‡

Collapse

clarke profile image
Clarke Jacobse (they/them)

Hi everyone, so excited for day 2 after such a good first day! My cat Oscar is lounging behind me as I join today 🐱

A fluffy black and white cat lounging by a sunny window

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Oscar has some seriously great fur and looks way comfy. Thanks for sharing this! πŸ˜€

Collapse

ndrwriter profile image
NDRWriter

Hi everyone! I'm Indy, a mom and coder in Canada. I originally started out working tech support/ hardware, but life happened and I ran an unrelated business for the last decade. Last year I decided to start over and do what I love, so I've been re-learning old skills and picking up HTML and CSS. I'm waitlisted for completing my degree, so I'm spending the year learning through online resources and trying to sort out this next chapter. I hope everyone is enjoying day 2!

Collapse

tarynmcmillan profile image
Taryn McMillan

I'm a mom and coder in Canada too! I come from an unrelated field so this also feels like the start of a new chapter.

Collapse

emilybrooks profile image
Emily Brooks (She/Her)

Hi all! I am seeking advice about social media. Personally, I chose to stop social media about a year ago. For me, that meant the daily instagram and occasional FB. But now as I venture into coding I feel like I should be connected. I want to meet new people and network well, so Im thinking twitter might be a good choice. Social media can be so addictive and time consuming, I am just weary of going down that path again. So, Im curious what other people might advise. Is it necessary? worth it? How do you do it well professionally without it overflowing into personal life? Any insight is appreciated!

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

I definitely got super sucked into Twitter when I found Developer Twitter and ended up addicted for a while.

I've toned back and adjusted the way I use Twitter - on my phone I only look at specific hashtag searches and my replies. Desktop in the morning is where I get my catch-up on what's happened (I also keep my follow count low so I can catch what I want to see).

As for worth it - I think participating in the weekly Dev Discuss (Tuesday nights) and Code Newbie (Wednesday Nights) twitter chats are some of the most fun ways to meet other devs and learn from and interact with some of the most knowledgeable and welcoming developers on the platform! Highly recommend if you do want to join Twitter :D

Collapse

Emily Brooks (She/Her)

Yeah, I like the idea of keeping it very small and code/tech/job related only. And I like the chat idea. Thank you!

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

I never had Twitter before I started coding, and it has been a great resource. I've found lots of people sharing their learning in the form of cheatsheets, videos, and other resources. I think if you curate it to be coding-centric, it will not be a waste of time.
I never was able to completely give up my social media, but I have been more careful about curating my accounts, making sure I'm following people who create content I find value in and taking advantage of algorithms that want to show me more content based on that.
And if I find myself wasting too much time with social media, I will use timers to control how much time I spend scrolling and reading every day, which allows me to stay connected but still get stuff done. I can't speak for iphones, but my samsung comes with a lot of options for controlling how much time I have certain apps open, and that has been really helpful.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hi Emily!

I started to do Twitter when I found out about tech community.
I still use Instagram (strictly for my family & close friends) and occasonally FB (also strictly for some groups).
I can limit myself with social media, so it's not a problem for me.

But if you let go of social media because you're tired of it, you can join communities if you want to meet new people & networking.
You can start here at CodeNewbie! πŸ˜„

Collapse

matt_eves_ profile image
Matt Eves

Hi Emily - this resonated with me, I'm pretty anti-social when it comes to social media πŸ€”, but, starting to learn coding got me onto Twitter which I've pretty much set up 20% following work related stuff (public/population health) and the majority being newbie coding stuff. The benefit is the Twitter algorithm serves me up an echo chamber of relevant stuff, which has def been useful (prompting thought / looking signpost to sites etc.) - but, requires a degree of discipline to not allow it to be yet another forum that can over-face you / serve as an enabler to making you feel you're inadequate compared to other "proper coders". A talk yesterday from PJ really resonated on this front - you only get to see everyone else's highlight reel compared to your own personal all-access blooper reel; worth staying cognisant of that (was a useful reminder for me, so noting here in case useful for you too). bw.

Collapse

Emily Brooks (She/Her)

Yes! I watched that talk as well. Good tip - to not let it serve as a comparison forum, but rather a connection and learning tool. Thanks!!

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

Hi @emilyewilson , LinkedIn is also a great social media platform and it provides an opportunity to showcase yourself as a professional. :)

Collapse

Emily Brooks (She/Her)

Oh yes!! I plan to update LinkedIn ASAP!! Good point!

Collapse

irmskie profile image
irmskie

I have just started coding this month. Since yesterday my boyfriend has been hearing the intermission music on CodeLand 2021 and said "are you sure you're trying to become a coder? Because it sounds like you're trying to become a DJ" :D

Collapse

deweyhammers profile image
Richard Dewey Hammers

Tuning in for day two with my kitty gigi
Alt text of image

Collapse

tyler320sc profile image
Tyler Carroll

Hey everybody, glad to be here! I'm a codeNewbie learning React / fullstack JS / Ruby ( a lil Haskell too ). I have a background in addiction, drugs, jail and gangs. I left all of this behind for a newfound spiritual walk years ago, however due to my lifestyle I had almost no marketable skills. It's been difficult providing for my family (one child is badly handicapped). This is where coding has come in, it's making it possible for me to make right many wrongs and soon hopefully it'll be my 1st real career! Allowing me the means to provide my special needs daughter a proper home. I came here to learn and connect with others, cheers!

Twitter: @TyCarroll320 YouTube channel: Real . Dev

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back • Edited

Hello! Super excited to continue meeting everyone and I can't wait to see what Day 2 of #CodeLand has in store!

P.S. My dog turned 8 today! She's officially an old lady. xD

Picture of birthday hound: community.codenewbie.org/remoteima...

Edit: I completely forgot to include my LinkedIn link: linkedin.com/in/stephaniejback/
I would love to connect with everyone! :D

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Happy birthday! I hope she gets extra treats and pets today! πŸ₯³πŸ₯³

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

Thanks @terabytetiger ! I have a special dinner/treat/snugglefest planned for her after CodeLand. 😁

Thread Thread

Tyler V. (he/him)

πŸ₯³πŸ₯³ I bet she will love it!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Hello! I'm Sarah and I'm a fullstack web developer from Canton, Ohio. I'm ready for day 2 of Codeland. I am especially looking forward to the open source talks. I am particularly looking forward to Tulio's talk about becoming an open source contributor.

My coding journey is still moving along. Right now I'm learning Ruby on Rails as I continue to look for web developer jobs. Once I have finished with Ruby on Rails, I'd like to learn Angular.js. Other than Ruby on Rails, I've been working on a presentation I'm giving for Girl Develop It next month, building a open source project I'd like to publish for Hacktoberfest next month, and getting ready to launch my own YouTube channel.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

That's cool, Sarah!
Let me know when you launch your YT channel!

Collapse

mahyellaw profile image
MJ Torres

an interaction section with the community AND we get to see pet pics?! i'm sold! >:D
btw hey peeps, i'm a self-proclaimed game developer and currently a 10th grade student here in the Philippines. <3

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hi everyone,
Finally I can pop in! Have a sick kid in the house who finally fell asleep.

I'm Ayu, self-taught frontend developer & technical blogger based in The Netherlands.
Glad to be here for Day 2!

a seal waving gif