CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: I’m Courtney Wilburn, Engineering Manager & holder of too many hobbies. Ask Me Anything!

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

Thanks for taking the time out of your myriad hobbies to join the podcast, @cjwilburn !

I'm with you all the way on the cooking, gardening, and working out, and sense building mechanical keyboards is in my future (I'm part of an avid 3D-printing household, so custom keycaps are already on the project list), but there are just too many hobbies to juggle already!

I was hoping to find out a little more about what your personal tricks are to finding balance amongst competing interests and demands for your time. Do you find it comes to you naturally or do you have to make conscious effort? How important is balance to you? And how do you know when to check your innate curiosity before it gets the better of you?

Collapse

cjwilburn profile image
Courtney Wilburn

Balance is super important to me.

There are some things, like working out and gardening, that need daily "care and feeding" and others that need less of my time. Generally, I tend to make sure that I devote what feels like enough time to keep my hobby active. That varies. Sometimes that means that I'll only have time to solder diodes on to a PCB, other times that means I can knit a winter hat for one of my friend's newborns (I knit too!). I also make sure that I have no ego about dropping a hobby if it no longer feels right or I no longer have the time I once did to devote to it. I do have some checks on my innate curiosity in my wife. She will absolutely give me a gentle reality check on my hobbies if I ask.