CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Jeremy
Jeremy

Posted on

Confused

I'm learning HTML CSS and javascript, and after seeing a video on figma I became a bit confused. Am I do the right thing continuing to learn these languages or am my time learning these when you have Apps like figma.

Oldest comments (4)

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

Tools like Figma and Webflow are "No Code" (sometimes referred to as "Low Code") platforms that help empower superusers to create their own apps by generating code from a WYSIWYG editor (What you see is what you get editor).

These tools are going to continue to get better, but the rise of No Code solutions doesn't remove the need for developers that also understand the languages being output by these tools. At bare minimum, someone needs to be able to continue working on these tools to update them with new functionality!

I don't expect these tools to directly take from the number of jobs available to developers, but rather create a new "No Code Developer" silo of career opportunities. The main reason I expect this is because the No Code tools are often limited in some ways while writing the code from scratch you're able to have more freedom.

That's a long-winded way to say that these tools are great, but there's still reason to learn the languages instead of the specific tools 😅

Collapse

jezza445 profile image
Jeremy

Thank you for answering my question the water is a bit clearer now.

Collapse

mr1990kai profile image
mr1990kai

it's depends on you
want to be web developer continue to learn the programming language
the editors like figma doesn't mean web developer will disappear at all why ?
because if i'm businessman wants to share my products or my site or anything of the same catalogue you think i will go with editor like figma ? seriously it is free yes but it's so simple it can't build complex sites
the apps like figma is for fun or anyone will play with it sometimes and will leave but web developer is must and will always

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Figma is a UI design tool like Adobe XD. It is not for learning to program. There are features where you can use the code generated in Figma to store it in your coding files, but it is something completey different. Unless you want to become a UX/UI Designer, there is no need for you to get into Figma. In a company it may be the case that you will get the Figma designs and start recreating these designs using HTML, CSS and JavaScript (like I am currently doing). If you want to write code, you are definitely on the right path by learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Good luck :)