CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Unpublished Post. This URL is public but secret, so share at your own discretion.

#CNC2021: Write More - Tutorial Blog Outline

Introduction

In this tutorial, we’re going to make a navigation bar that is mobile-friendly. When you’re done, you will have a better understanding of how to use media queries, know how to change the look of the same content and learn the importance of responsive web design.

If you are looking to make your websites work for mobile devices, this is for you. In order to complete this tutorial, you’ll need an IDE (code editor), a browser that supports developer tools (I suggest Firefox or Chrome) and a mindset to not only read and copy this tutorial, but understand why it works.

You’ll be able to use the skills and lessons in this tutorial in the real world when you develop any website or web application as more than 90% of internet users browse on a mobile device (research from Statista).

Body

Example

The example I’m going to use for this tutorial is turning this simple navigation:

[ IMAGE OF DESKTOP NAVIGATION BAR ]

into this mobile friendly navigation:

[ IMAGE OF MOBILE NAVIGATION BAR ]

based on the device viewport (or the screen size).

Steps

Step 1: Set up your navigation code

Step 2: Style your navigation

Step 3: Use Developer Tools to View in Mobile Viewport

Step 4: Create a media query

Step 5: Adjust the navigation style

Step 6: Use Developer Tools to View in Mobile Viewport Again

Final Result

Following the steps in this tutorial will make your navigation look much better on smaller screensizes like phones and tablets. You can use my live demo example below to see this navigation in action:

[ EMBED OF CODEPEN ]

Conclusion

This tutorial holds much more information than creating one type of mobile navigation. It shows you important steps on using media queries to transform your whole website into a new style for other audiences and viewers!

Top comments (0)