CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: [#CNC2022 Cohort 1 "Learn in Public"] Tell us about your "Learn in Public" plan!

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

1. What concept/project/series have you decided to take on for the duration of the "Learn in Public" challenge?
I'm going to rebuild my personal blog/website in Eleventy!

2. Why did you pick this focus?
I started learning Eleventy in my 100 Days of Learning challenge over on DEV, and this is my third attempt at learning static site generators. I've got a better command of HTML/CSS/JS, git, markdown, and Netlify under my belt, so I figured now is the time to officially learn Eleventy and actually build something.

3. Why do you think sharing your journey in public will help others?
I'm sure there are plenty of other newbies who want to build a personal blog / get up and running with a website but don't want to use Wordpress or a similar platform. At least for me, I wanted to build a functioning site from the bottom up, quickly, but I don't have a lot of experience with CSS and making a site look good. I'll admit a lot of this is motivated by my own impatience, but if the end result is a functioning site that looks good, and is easy to add posts to, then that's a win! And I'm sure there are others out there who might resonate with that.

4. Share the the title you landed on for the series you're going to create as well as the "entries" you anticipate creating/tackling.
"Building a Personal Blog with Eleventy"

I might add something witty like 'for impatient people' or 'for complete dev newbies' but this is the working title for now. I'm excited to get started!

Collapse

unnamedrd profile image
Naj

Hi Lauren,

I'm super curious to see what your experience with this will be. Awhile ago I was researching options for blogs and I saw a tutorial on Eleventy but haven't had time to tackle it. Excited to see how it goes for you!

Collapse

garystroupdeveloper profile image
Gary Stroup

Sounds awesome. I never heard of Eleventy so I am interested to learn more about it through your series!

Collapse

clc80 profile image
Claudia Maciel-Contreras

There's no better motivation than building something for yourself. I have no idea what Eleventy is but it sounds exciting. Can't wait to see how your blog looks. Make sure to take some before and after screenshots.

Collapse

lfosgett profile image
Lauren Fosgett

I didn't think about before/after pics, great idea!! Thank you!

Collapse

tupaschoal profile image
Tulio Leao

Thanks for this answer, I also had no clue what Eleventy was before reading your post, so I learned something from your Learning in Public already :)

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

I've never heard of Eleventy! I look forward to learning about it (and how to build a blog too) 😁