CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: April 1st, 2021: What did you learn this week?

Collapse

lucybigmac profile image
Lucy ♡

I just started reading The Pragmatic Programmer today to try and help me improve my practice. I really liked this quote:

"Programming is a craft. At its simplest, it comes down to getting a computer to do what you want it to do (or what your user wants it to do). As a programmer, you are part listener, part advisor, part interpreter, and part dictator. You try to capture elusive requirements and fin a way of expressing them so that a mere machine can do them justice. You try to document your work so that others can understand it, and you try to engineer your work so that others can build on it. What's more, you try to do all this against the relentless ticking of the project clock. You work small miracles every day."

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Pam from The Office saying Nice!

Collapse

sigfualt profile image
Cameron Young

That book changed me for the better.

Collapse

adnanazmee profile image
Adnan Azmee

I would really love to read this book, I have heard a lot about it. But sadly it isn't available in my country.

Collapse

zeeatwork profile image
Zenzi

I picked up the Pragmatic Programmer audiobook so that I could listen for a few minutes each morning. Programming as a craft is a major takeaway. The long form anologies in the book (Broken Window , Stone Soup, etc) stick with you.

Collapse

lucybigmac profile image
Lucy ♡

Yes definitely! I loved the analogy of the Broken Window, made a lot of sense!