CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: Where Does Everybody Begin Programming?

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I agree that HTML and CSS are a great place to start. When I was 12 years old, I had fun playing around with the colors and format of a basic webpage. Demonstrating that power, especially to those who are younger will get them motivated. In high school, I joined FIRST Robotics. Seeing how the Java code that we worked on move various parts of the robot greatly contributed to my understanding. I subsequently was able to pick up Java and now it's the programming language I have the most experience with.

Starting with HTML and CSS and then tailoring your programming journey to your interests is a great way to begin.

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Is 'FIRST Robotics' a group OR did you join that before anything else?

Getting kids into computer is tough enough why start so difficult.

My other point (not really articulated here) is that spending time with HTML basics and CSS give you time to look around and see what you like.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity • Edited

FIRST Robotics is an organization that has programs from K-12: firstinspires.org/ Seeing one way that programming could be applied helped my understanding. They have tailored programs for each age group. My high school had a FIRST Robotics club but many clubs that are a part of FIRST are independent from schools as well.

The summer between middle school and high school, I was put into a programming summer camp where I learned Python and I did not like it very much. FIRST Robotics was my first experience that was successful and members of all levels were involved. More experienced members helped out beginners. Now I'm brushing up on Python and like it much more.

I agree. With HTML and CSS, one can immediately see changes and results where as with other programming languages you need to work on more complex and advanced projects to get to that point.

Thread Thread

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Thank you so much for the link.
It sounds like a great program. I would volunteer for the program in a heartbeat. ;)