CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Planning my career development for 2021
Patricio Ferraggi
Patricio Ferraggi

Posted on

Planning my career development for 2021

If you are interested in reading this article in Spanish, check out my blog:
The Developer's Dungeon

Hey guys, 2021 is finally here!. It has been a hard year but now so it is time to plan everything again, to write down on paper what I want to learn or do this year.

If you been following my blog posts for some time you will know that I am a big fan of setting goals, planning, tracking, and of course DOING.

Last year I focused on too many things and while I accomplished quite a few of the things I proposed to myself, I also noticed the pressure of not reaching what I was expecting was pushing me back. This year I am gonna go a little lighter, in the number of things but not on the effort, let's call it just having a "better" direction.

Let's start already, shall we?

1. Be comfortable writing at least in one functional programming language

Last year I spent quite a lot messing around, going from book to book, looking up languages, talking to people, doing small tests on different environments. For this year I have made the decision to focus on learning Haskell, at least first. This is gonna be my initial curriculum:

By separating a big goal into smaller concise tasks I don't need to worry about what to do next, I just follow the plan, if something is not going right I solve the issue and continue.

2. Get better at software architecture and computer science

Last year I didn't focus on this at all, last year I had this idea that I wanted to learn more frontend, so I switched positions at my job and became a frontend developer. That taught me that I not really that interested in the frontend after all haha.

I started the year with a new position, a new job as a Senior Software Developer in a place with some complex architectural decisions and a lot of cools systems to play with. I am gonna use this opportunity to learn as much as I can from my new team members and at the same time try to boost my own knowledge on the subject.

3. Get better at writing

Last year I wrote a lot of blog posts, even a few that got me on the top of the list at awesome communities like CodeNewbie, but not nearly as much as I would like.

CodeNewbie 100k

I started strong but in the end, the search for a new job, and my other goals got in the way. This year I am aiming to have fewer things to focus on, but do them with maximum effort!.

• Plan certain dates during the week where I am gonna write.
  • Have a list of topics I can write about so I can just pick one from the pile when the time comes.
  • Write at least 2 blog posts a week.
  • Write about what I am learning to solidify knowledge.

4. Improve my involvement with the community

This year I joined a community called FrontendCafe, awesome people from Argentina and other countries of Latin America (and people from Spain too πŸ˜„ ). This year I want to continue meeting developers all over the world but I want to give special attention to people from the Spanish speaking community, specifically those who don't have the means to learn new things or that face some of the problems I faced when I was starting in this industry.

• Give more mentorships at FrontendCafe and outside the Spanish speaking community.
  • Spend more time helping new users and using my role as a Staff member in FrontendCafe.
  • Go to meetups (if they come back).
  • Give a talk at a local meetup (if they come back).

As you may notice some of the things I already said in the planning of 2020 and that is perfectly fine. I didn't reach the level I want to achieve in many topics so this year I am gonna focus even more on those.
Other topics have disappeared completely, that is fine too. After 2020 I learned a few lessons about myself, about what I like, and in which topics I want to invest more of my time on.

I hope you like my planning for 2021, if so please share it and let me know below in the comments. Do you have a similar plan? I would like to read it, the comments is also the perfect place for that.

See you soon πŸ˜„

Top comments (0)