CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: First Step

Collapse

r002 profile image
Robert Lin

Hi Adam! Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful post and share your story! Everything you said totally resonates with me as well. 🙂 Congrats on finishing your CIS BS too; that's a huge achievement! I'm totally in the same boat about having a ton of interests and really empathize with the constant "master of none" feeling. Know you're not alone! Swyx once wrote a great article about "learning in public" which I think is a heartening and great point though-- We all may all be in different places but there's tremendous value in leaving a trail of "learning exhaust." Once upon a time, even the greats --the Wozniaks and Jon Skeets of the world-- all sat where you are today! Everyone literally started where you are now! And so it's never too late to begin! 💪

To your two points though-- this may interest you! Anita and I (and Matt, once upon a time-- you're always welcome back! 👋) are actually part of a small online study group. We started back at the beginning of May and submit "cards" (a templated GitHub issue) every day recapping what we've learned or are working on that particular day. We love documenting our daily progress and sharing our challenges and achievements 🥳. The system's simple but just centralizes everything in one place and also calculates and tracks streaks (number of consecutive days of contribution); it's been really helpful and gratifying for us to look back and see our progress over the weeks and months. Everyone's working on something different but it's all been a ton of fun just being part of a cohort and sharing that learning journey along the way-- you're totally welcome to join us if you wish! If you're curious, you can find us as at studydash.github.io . Our cards range in everything from Python and analytics to Firebase, JavaScript testing, and random book notes. (There's even some Blender 3D animation and BFS pathfinding in there too! 😂) It's all over the place!

In any case, I look forward to seeing your posts here on CodeNewbie or wherever else you may post! (And StudyDash is open to literally everyone; anyone using a GitHub account can just submit a card here and it's off to the races!) The world is vast and wonderous! Let's go exploring! 😄

PS. Btw, I don't think you "ramble" at all. 😊 At Saturday morning Torah study, we always talked about "Tikkun olam"-- by just doing our small bit in the world, as you say, in whatever role or capacity we can, that builds towards a better future. It is never for naught and this positive and ever-hopeful, two-handed, can-do spirit is never anything to be embarrassed about! Let's do it!! 🚀🎉