CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: [Keynote] One Rule to Rule Them All: Learning in Public

Collapse

stevenyholm profile image
Steve Nyholm

Your presentation got me thinking more deeply about learning in public, specifically how it represents what I know at a specific moment. It seems like a streaming service would be good for this, something like twitter. In this way, it seems like a historical record of what I was thinking at that time. What are some good platforms for developers to share their current thinking as learning in public?

I've been wanting to publish content that I could save as a reference and look back on it later. However, this gets problematic because I want to go back and edit it when I learn a topic better. This didn't seem to fit well for blogging, because it seems that blog posts should be mostly left as they were originally posted, not constantly edited. Saving my reference notes might be better hosted in a dedicated website or contributed to a wiki. What thoughts do you have about the difference between sharing current understanding (as a moment in time) vs. publishing material for teaching others or providing reference (which will be improved and edited)?

Collapse

lauragift_ profile image
Gift Egwuenu✨

Great to hear! You already have good ideas for platforms that will fit - Twitter, Twitch or YouTube for streaming.

I have a good one for you. The solution you need is a DIgital Garden not a blog. The idea is that content you share remains in state where it can be edited at any time.

I like this concept so much i'm planning on migrating my blog to a digital garden.
Examples of blogs following this concept.

maggieappleton.com/garden
joelhooks.com/

Collapse

stevenyholm profile image
Steve Nyholm

Thanks for sharing the idea of Digital Gardens, what a great concept. I look forward to reading more about them.