CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: #CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Hey everyone! Here's my Mission 1.

1. I want to code more because I want to get a remote, part-time job as a programmer. I am also open to freelancing. In order to accomplish this, I need to increase my knowledge and skills (i.e. code more).
  2. I know I'll have reached my "code more" goal when I have a consistent coding practice, meaning I am not going weeks at a time without coding. Additionally, I will be in Week 3 of the second course in the Python for Everybody specialization.
  3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    • I have enough time to code.
    • I have the emotional bandwidth and fortitude to stick with coding more.
    • I will be able to self-teach with the resources that I've found.
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is emotional bandwidth.
  5. When I think about my riskiest assumption, some possible root causes are:
    • I'm a perfectionist, and I take it really hard when I don't understand things.
    • I have a lot on my plate right now. Sometimes I'm just physically and emotionally exhausted.
  6. Some ways I might address these root causes are:
    • Make sure that I'm getting enough sleep and food.
    • Keep up with my mental wellbeing through journaling & meditation.
    • Reach out and ask for help when I need it.
    • Continue to remind myself that progress is better than perfection.
  7. Of these, the biggest cause that’s worth tackling first is perfectionism.
Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

Way to go! This is like a self-learning journey on top of skill learning! Let's not forget to always be kind to yourself through this process. This seems to be a recurring theme with a lot of developers whether they are new or a veteran in the field. We all tend to burn out and leave self-care as an afterthought. Treat yourself with small rewards after each smaller accomplishment :)

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Yes, it's so easy to be hyper-critical and burn out. I continually have to remind myself that it's okay to be kind and self-compassionate. Thank you for reading & responding.

Thread Thread

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

❀️

Collapse

juanfrank77 profile image
Juan F Gonzalez

Is wonderful that you're aware of these things about yourself.

Perfectionism is certainly something I've struggled with for years.

One thing that has really helped break down that "all or nothing" mentality is to approach things like "experiments".
Think of yourself as a scientist, a "coding scientist", and test different options out there. You'll find things that work better or others that just don't work but everything is part of the experimentation process.

In that sense, there's really no "failure" only feedback to know when you're doing things right and when to course correct.

Also, you're now part of this community so...
You got this

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Thank you! I like this change in perspective. ::writes it down in notebook:: πŸ˜†