CodeNewbie Community ๐ŸŒฑ

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 1 Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 1 email, postย your "Code More" goal in the thread below! If you feel up to it, post some of your assumptions and root causes, too. Maybe someone in the group can help you come up with solutions to try! Be sure to leave a helpful response to another person (or two!) if you can. Mission 1 is in the books!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (107)

Collapse

sam9111 profile image
Samyuktha Ganeshkumar
  1. I want to code more because: I want to improve my skillset and hence my resume so that I can work on impactful projects , contribute as much as I can to open source and eventually land a good job in the future.
  2. I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: My code gets good feedback from others since I was able to use the best practices, tips and tricks I learnt from the community and my Github profile is up to my satisfaction. I also wish that I will be able to solve leetcode answers more quickly and efficiently. My side project grows to a certain extent with my code and considerably good for submitting to a hackathon.
  3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    • I will be able to give in time even when tests are happening.
    • I am in the right mindset to work and collaborate with my teammates.
    • I have enough resources to look at to finish my side project before the hackathon deadline.
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is having enough "time".
  5. When I think about my riskiest assumption, three possible root causes are:
    • Coding assignments and tests in college
    • Sometimes I just do not feel like touching the computer at all i.e procrastinating, lack of self-discipline
    • I get overstressed with the ambitions and goals I set for myself
  6. 3 ways I might address these root causes are:
    • Finish college work during the day by not oversleeping
    • Meditation and Self-care before approaching the tasks I set for myself for that day
    • Using productivity techniques like Pomodoro to track my progress and take enough breaks
  7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is waking up early!
Collapse

gaming_tora profile image
Tora Jane (she/her)

Sometimes I don't feel like touching the computer at all for similar reasons. Then I find myself thinking about the code when I am trying to sleep!

I like using the Pomodoro technique. I ended up getting a 30 minute sand hourglass timer because I want to give myself the opportunity to keep coding after time has ran out, in case I have gotten in the zone or flow. I didnt want to get distracted by the ding of an app or timer.

Collapse

jislamtrine profile image
j_islam

Wow, this is just the thing i do. I haven't touched my laptop for whole day. And i know that, i'll think of coding just before i go to sleep. Then i have no time and have to go to sleep, so i aspire to do it tomorrow and then... it all starts again.

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

I find getting to bed early and getting enough sleep is hugely helpful in waking up early and then I do some of my most productive coding in the early morning. If it works for you too, you are on the right track!

Be careful focusing too much on tools like Pomodoro. The timer alone is not the answer. You will find you get a lot done, but it might not be very meaningful work. Before you time yourself, make sure you have prioritized your to do list well. A helpful practice I have been doing is writing down everything on my mind, then crossing out everything that isn't essential. Then figure out the things you need to get done to have peace of mind when you go to sleep that night and tackle those items head-on from most important (typically hardest) to least important. This is where you can start using the Pomodoro technique.

Good luck!

Collapse

mksmsk profile image
Maxim
  1. I want to code more because: I want totally change my life and develop some skills that can allow me to live in any country and earn a good salary. I want to obtain a new profession, which is not only well-paid, but also fascinating and valuable.
  2. I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: I will see 100 hours in my pomodoro app.
    • I will be codding early in the morning without distractions. Deep focus
    • I will use pomodoro, it is productive and my progress will be measurable
    • I will be a part of CNC2021, and itโ€™ll motivate me
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is coding at mornings
    • I have lots on my plate. I am learning English, and soon I'll have an exam. Sometimes I donโ€™t have enough energy after preparation for that test
    • Iโ€™m not a morning person, and if I go to bed too late it is harmful for my cognitive power and I could not learn efficiently
    • It can be hard to begin immediately after waking up
    • Turn off the phone after 9 p.m. and turn down the light. I have to go to bed before 10!
    • Energize my morning (cold shower, vigorous exercises, pu-erth tea) and start codding immediately
    • Coding first. Donโ€™t do anything, until code for 2 hours
  7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is to go to bed earlier.
Collapse

afinawalton profile image
Afina Walton

I think coding first thing in the morning is a great idea! Might have to steal it from you :)

Collapse

mksmsk profile image
Maxim

yeah, no problem =)

Collapse

testinnplayin profile image
testinnplayin

I find I code best in the morning. Afternoon after lunch is deadly for code. Zzzz

Collapse

abigailontech profile image
Abi

I want to code more because: I am looking to make a big career change!

I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: I have comepleted the Front-end devloper course on codecademy and i'll have a portfolio of work to allow me to start looking for new jobs.

My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
I'll have enough time to complete the course.
I'll have enough discipline to work hard towards my goal.
I'll have lots of resources to keep learning and keep me interested in coding even when it gets hard.

Of these assumptions, my riskiest is having enough discipline.

When I think about my riskiest assumption, three possible root causes are:
Procrastination and worrying about making a big career change.
I get stressed when thinking about the risks i'm taking and then use avoidance so I don't have to think about it.
Not having a routine will make keeping up with work hard.

3 ways I might address these root causes are:
Being more mindful and using therapy techniques to tackle anxiety.
manage my time by building a routine and following this everyday, but not beating myself up if something becomes to hard.
Try to code for atleast 2 hours a day

Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is building a routine so I can carve out time in my day to code!

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Hey everyone! Here's my Mission 1.

1. I want to code more because I want to get a remote, part-time job as a programmer. I am also open to freelancing. In order to accomplish this, I need to increase my knowledge and skills (i.e. code more).
  2. I know I'll have reached my "code more" goal when I have a consistent coding practice, meaning I am not going weeks at a time without coding. Additionally, I will be in Week 3 of the second course in the Python for Everybody specialization.
    • I have enough time to code.
    • I have the emotional bandwidth and fortitude to stick with coding more.
    • I will be able to self-teach with the resources that I've found.
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is emotional bandwidth.
  5. When I think about my riskiest assumption, some possible root causes are:
    • I'm a perfectionist, and I take it really hard when I don't understand things.
    • I have a lot on my plate right now. Sometimes I'm just physically and emotionally exhausted.
  6. Some ways I might address these root causes are:
    • Make sure that I'm getting enough sleep and food.
    • Keep up with my mental wellbeing through journaling & meditation.
    • Reach out and ask for help when I need it.
    • Continue to remind myself that progress is better than perfection.
  7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is perfectionism.
Collapse

juanfrank77 profile image
Juan F Gonzalez

Is wonderful that you're aware of these things about yourself.

Perfectionism is certainly something I've struggled with for years.

One thing that has really helped break down that "all or nothing" mentality is to approach things like "experiments".
Think of yourself as a scientist, a "coding scientist", and test different options out there. You'll find things that work better or others that just don't work but everything is part of the experimentation process.

In that sense, there's really no "failure" only feedback to know when you're doing things right and when to course correct.

Also, you're now part of this community so...
You got this

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Thank you! I like this change in perspective. ::writes it down in notebook:: ๐Ÿ˜†

Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

Way to go! This is like a self-learning journey on top of skill learning! Let's not forget to always be kind to yourself through this process. This seems to be a recurring theme with a lot of developers whether they are new or a veteran in the field. We all tend to burn out and leave self-care as an afterthought. Treat yourself with small rewards after each smaller accomplishment :)

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Yes, it's so easy to be hyper-critical and burn out. I continually have to remind myself that it's okay to be kind and self-compassionate. Thank you for reading & responding.

Thread Thread

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

โค๏ธ

Collapse

valciic profile image
Valters
  1. I want to code more because: I want to reach the level where I can earn money with coding.
  2. I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: Iโ€™ll have at least one paying client; Iโ€™ll work in a team, which works in Web-development and I will be able to contribute with code for functionality and also design of the product.
    o I need to spend at lest 1 hour a day on working on a personal project a.k.a. practice coding
    o I need to learn Wordpress in order to improve my mothersโ€™ website (starting with design; maybe add some functionality), to have first product on my portfolio
    o I need to learn React

4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is spending time every day for working on a personal project.

o I donโ€™t know, what exactly I would like to make
    o I feel scared to publish something I created without understanding how can I un-publish it, for example, if something goes wrong, I donโ€™t want anybody to see what Iโ€™ve done, etc.
    o I afraid, that I will โ€œwaste timeโ€ practicing something that isnโ€™t that valuable for the โ€œreal lifeโ€™โ€™ jobs/situations

o Remember โ€“ there is no pressure to publish anything. For now, I am doing a job with added value for Visas Iespฤ“jas, so no need to put pressure on actually putting something out there just yet.
    o First, practice WordPress by making a simple blog/website for HipstersGlasses โ€“ add section about Balkan Trip, section with photos and introduction/landing page. This is to practice and get familiar with Wordpress. I donโ€™t need to publish it just yet.
    o While practicing, I will come up with questions and I can ask them in morning โ€œpodcastsโ€ with my team members. Also โ€“ by practicing and searching information I will find information related to whatโ€™s actual and whatโ€™s not.

7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is I just opening the Wordpress and starting to play around.

Collapse

marshmadness94 profile image
Marshall Pritchett

My main goal for the "Code More" challenge is to finish the C++ software portion of my current project. Hopefully I will have the time and resources necessary to complete this goal in the coming weeks. I will definitely need to learn more about building GUIs for C++ programs. Happy coding everyone!

Collapse

tripdog profile image
Tom

I want to code more because: Because I am stubborn. Two years ago I tried to learn JavaScript and decided, โ€œthis is just too hard." Itโ€™s always bothered me that I quit, and relying on cut/pasting from Google or hacking other people's code together is a total drag... And also because I am in a JavaScript Bootcamp and I should be writing and reading code on the daily without fail. I have committed to sharing my code via Twitter, having joined the #100daysofcode challenge. Lotโ€™s of reasons. :-)

I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: When JavaScript is as familiar as HTML and CSS.

Due to the pandemic, I definitely have time. When life gets busy, Iโ€™ll make time.
At this stage of the game, it doesnโ€™t take a lot of time to sit down and research some facet of JavaScript that I donโ€™t know, because that's just about everything.
Will I be disciplined enough? I think so, because failing at this because I lack the brain for it is more acceptable to me than failing because of not trying as hard as I humanly can.

Of these assumptions, my riskiest is: That I will be disciplined enough. History shows that this has been an issue in the past.

a. Lack of confidence
b. A propensity for frustration when things become difficult
c. Falling behind has been a good reason in the past to throw in the towel

1. Be as stubborn as I know I can be and keep going
  2. Donโ€™t just write code, build things.
  3. Get used to code that fails or breaks. And celebrate the little victories along the way because a lot of little victories turn into big ones later.

*Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is building things vs. just writing sample code. I know from past experience that is how I learn best. *

Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

Is there something that grabs your attention usually, like "gaming", "puzzles", etc? Sometimes it is easier to learn through the Super Mario Effect where you learn by tricking your brain into learning a new thing with something you already enjoy.

Collapse

tripdog profile image
Tom

I feel like everything is so different this time around. Last time, I was just doing FreeCodeCamp with no support. I felt like a failure because it got to a point where I could not solve the challenges. Now I have found a few communities, like Flavio Copes Bootcamp, this platform and others where people are so willing to help. The other difference is that I realize I have to build stuff in addition to studying and doing code challenges. I am seeing a lot of growth just by changing these things around. Lastly, seeing code that throws an error or wonโ€™t execute used to really frustrate me. Now, these failures are my teachers. Just a different midset.

I do like gamified stuff. I wish there was something like flexbox zombies for JavaScript ๐Ÿ˜€

Collapse

andrewbaisden profile image
Andrew Baisden

Good luck with all of that.

Collapse

tripdog profile image
Tom

Thanks Andrew. I am going for the full immersion experience. I know it's going to be intense but that's how I learn best :-)

Collapse

zeeatwork profile image
Zenzi
  1. I want to code more because: I want to regain my feelings of exicitement and accomplishement that I used to have when I coded. I don't want my poor experience in bootcamp to end my journey and permanently effect my confidence. I miss the way I used to 'zone out' and lose time when I was fully envolved in my learning. I want to feel like I have solid JS skills so that I can branch out and experiment with other topics that interest me (Python, Data Vizualization, GIS, Data and automation, security, etc).

2. I'll know I've reached my code more goal when: I complete one ticket per week in my open source project, finish my 4 short courses in Advanced JS concepts/interview prep, complete an interview (no matter the outcome).

3. My top 3 assumptions for reaching my goal: I have the time, financial resources, and physical/mental health necessary to code more each day.

4. My riskiest assumption is physical/mental health related.

5. The prolonged pandemic, and environmental stress has caused a lot of anxiety. I don't sleep well or do as many healthy things as I used to before the pandemic. Everything feels like another chore instead of self-care.

6. Ways to address the root cause:

• call it what it is: burnout. Maybe the appropriate label will help me find the correct resources to help
  7. find people who have recovered

8. Find burnout resources

Collapse

jislamtrine profile image
j_islam

I want to code more because:
I want to create a system for coding and learning things and eventually get to a point where I can get a job or do some freelancing work. I want to overcome my fear of getting into work too.

I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when:
I have established a routine and successfully maintained that for some time. That may be 100 lines of code for a duration or two mid-scale projects. And as the lower boundary, iโ€™ll accept even less if I can work for at least a few days consecutively(two weeks) on the project I am getting trouble to start on.

• I have to overcome the fear of starting working on a project.
  • I can have enough interest if I can make myself stop worrying about starting the task.
  • I have to learn how to work on something even if thereโ€™s no passion involved.

Of these assumptions, my riskiest is my fear of getting started.

• I keep thinking about the task hence creating pressure on me.
  • I procrastinate and move onto other things instead of just getting into work.
  • I havenโ€™t done any mid/large-scale project yet so i donโ€™t know how to approach one.

• I have to trick myself to start work by saying that I'll work for one pomodoro(25 minutes) or so and then keep doing that for at least two sessions. I also wonโ€™t take a break for more than a week if itโ€™s incomplete.
  • I should remove the sources of distraction from the surroundings.
  • I should approach the mid-scale project by dividing into MVPs with narrow scope.

Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is my dreadful procrastination.

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

MVP's! I need to focus on that too. I was reading The Lean Startup by Eric Reiss and need to keep remembering to relate those learnings to my work. MVPs even work when ultimately I am the customer.

Collapse

afinawalton profile image
Afina Walton • Edited

I want to code more because: I'd like to build a robust front-end skillset that includes all the learning areas I've whittled down from entry-level FE job listings.

One of my assumptions is: that I might not know how to apply what I've learned.

A root cause for that is: not knowing exactly what type of front-end work I'd like to do, so I don't know which projects to come up with to build out a portfolio.

Collapse

pasha profile image
Me-Pasha • Edited

The ability to code seems to provide a good opportunity. It is also a thrill to be able to create something out of thin air! And I feel as I grow more and learn more about different fields, I can use the knowledge of the field and combine it with programming to make work easier. .

I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: I'll say I have reached my goal when I have completed my Android development course. .

I need enough time to work on it. Mostly, college work comes up and i have to prioritise things.
Due to the lack in flow or just procrastinating sometimes, i loose the interest and things become a little slow.
The quality of the reason can be a hame changer.

Of these assumptions, my riskiest is Interest.

Bad resource.
Other priorities kick in.
The inability to stick to it when things get twisty. I definitely need to work with it.

Get a buddy to work with? I have always been alone in the journey and it's less fun. Write a journal and keep a record of the progress.
Talk to people more from the field.
Instead of relying on burst of interest, I should develop a habit of sitting down and to code.

Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is building a habit.

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan
  1. I want to code more because:

• I want to build useful web apps that make peoples lives better.
    • I would love to be cracking coding puzzles daily for work
    • I am interested in a career path with the opportunity of a WFH position.
  2. I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when:

• I can build a full stack web app (probably MERN stack) I am proud of AND
    • publish it to my personal portfolio website.

• Balancing my many hobbies, work, house remodel projects, and family life
    • Not overwhelming myself with information and causing a mental block
    • Giving myself the grace to skip a day when something else is more important than coding, and then being disciplined about effectively using the days that I actually have time.
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is balancing the many aspects of my life to make time for coding.

• Over researching things that donโ€™t matter
    • Not getting enough sleep to be efficient in my daily routine
    • Trying to do too much of the remodel project on my own.

• Only research important tools. The minimum of what I need to get the job done. If I find a tool that works just use it. Donโ€™t research every tool possible and then pick the โ€œbest oneโ€.
    • Set a hard bedtime and stick to it. Give myself grace to leave things undone. Prepare for the next day first thing when I get home from work.
    • Get help. Schedule time to work on a remodel project and then do it when I have help. Donโ€™t be a hero.
  7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is getting enough sleep. Get into a habit of a 9:30PM-5:00AM sleep routine and donโ€™t break it.

Collapse

minnake profile image
Minna Keinonen
  1. I want to code more because: Iโ€™m looking for job and I want to learn new skills/technology to get job in IT

2. I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when: I can show my new skills in my website and I know I can do, what I want to do.

โ—‹ I have a clear goal in my mind (getting a job)
    โ—‹ I know I can get help if I get stuck
    โ—‹ I have passion and will to get through the hard stuff

4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is getting through the hard parts

โ—‹ I try too hard to do myself than ask for help
    โ—‹ Impostors syndrome
    โ—‹ I donโ€™t trust that I can do this

โ—‹ Meditate, be kind to me
    โ—‹ Seek and ask for help if you get stuck
    โ—‹ Have a day off

7. Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is being kind to myself and meditate

Collapse

lucitemple profile image
Luci Temple

My 'code more' goal for the five weeks challenge is to complete the React course I'm currently doing, complete the React Pro content on Codecademy, and complete my tasks for 2 sprints of the volunteer project I am working on.

Anyone else's biggest risk related to parenting responsibilities - high risk of changing circumstances outside of my control that I nonetheless have to prioritise if happens.

Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

Parenting is in my near future. I'm curious what tips you have to deal with this added layer of responsibilities and continuing your self learning. I would guess part of being successful in parenting/coding is sacrificing some of your hobbies to make room for coding?

Part of my assumptions and solutions is Giving myself the grace to skip a day when something else is more important than coding, and then being disciplined about effectively using the days that I actually have time. Maybe this would help in your situation too?

Collapse

anitabe404 profile image
Anita Beauchamp

Some tips for parenting & coding:

• Accept that things will change. Sometimes we try to tell ourselves that it won't be that different or that big of a change, but it really is (especially if you're having a newborn as opposed to adopting/caring for an older child).
  • Get as much support from family, friends, and paid help as you can. There are only so many hours in the day, and you are often exhausted for many of them. Having someone to help with childcare, cooking meals, running errands, and/or cleaning makes a huge difference.
  • Adjust your expectations to match the season of life that you're in. There may be some days where you're too tired to get everything done. You may also experience brain fog or notice that you're not retaining things like you used to. It's okay. Just scale back, keep studying, and keep going.
  • Identify what matters to you & seek balance. In the long-term (10, 20, 30 years from now), what do you want to look back and remember about this time? And also, what helps you decompress and feel happy & well? As much as you can, balance your long-term goals with your short-term needs. Maybe you have to spend less time on a hobby or coding for right now. Maybe you're not as involved with your child now so that you can code, get your new job, and have more time later. Only you can determine what's right.

All the best! I hope some of this helps.

Collapse

lahirucw profile image
LahiruCW

Yeah, I agree with your solution. Sometimes, some tasks become more prioritize in our day to day life and we have to spend, May be more time, for those tasks because they are important to our life. I remember a saying in Transformers Last knight movie "Without a sacrifice, No victory." So, sacrificing some unimportant tasks and make some time for coding is a good practice.

Collapse

jcastle13 profile image
Jason

I want to expand my software development skills.

I know Iโ€™ll have reached my โ€œcode moreโ€ goal when:

I have a good grasp on a specific skill and am able to apply it to a small project.

• The skill will be attainable within a certain timeline
  • The goal would be applicable to my job
  • I will be able to complete the goal with all of my other responsibilities

Of these assumptions, my riskiest is:

having enough time with my other responsibilities of work & life.

• Time management
  • Priorities management
  • Life management

• Setting up a schedule
  • Within the schedule setting time for each areas to focus
  • Taking time off for personal reflection

Of these, the biggest cause thatโ€™s worth tackling first is:

time management.

Some comments may only be visible to logged-in visitors. Sign in to view all comments.