CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Attending Your First Tech Conference
cmdme
cmdme

Posted on

Attending Your First Tech Conference

This post is very Atlanta-centric as that's where I live, but the following tips can apply anywhere.

Introduction

If you don’t work at a company that is willing to cover the registration fee, then a lot of conferences can feel out of reach. It seems like a catch-22.

Networking is an important step in finding a job in any field–it’s not about what you know, but who you know, as the saying goes. How do you meet people if you cannot attend these conferences?

RenderATL is $600 and that's if you get your ticket early! Luckily, there are more affordable ones out there. I got to attend two of them in the same week and managed to learn a few things too.

Refactr Tech

• Regular admission goes for $200 and you can add $99 for a workshop

Refactr Tech highlights diversity and inclusion in the tech sphere. A lot of sessions focus on accessibility and marginalized groups of people and give good insight on more than just technical knowledge. It's a small, but great conference that's easy to meet and mingle with others.

Atlanta Developers' Conference

• $10 and you get a lunch!

Looks like it's a relatively new conference and I'm not sure if it's going to be so cheap forever, but it's definitely worth checking out! Lots of talks that delve deep into the technical aspects, but also great for junior and senior devs alike.

side note: I've noticed the coffee seems to disappear mid-afternoon. I feel like they should keep it flowing all day long at these things, but I guess it's important to hydrate too. Anyway.

A pixel graphic of a note pad, folder, CD and info speech bubble to illustrate tips

Tips

Things to consider:

• Bring business cards

Yeah, it sounds old fashioned, especially at a tech conference. But hey, include a QR code!

• Don't forget about the in-between

The sessions are great, but there's also an opportunity to network with people in-between waiting for the next one to start up.

• Bring your resume

Have it on your business card, on your phone, have a print-out, whatever, just bring it. Refactr Tech sends out an email for you to upload yours so it's on file, which is pretty cool. Still, it's great to have on hand because you never know who you might hit it off with.

The sponsors at these conferences have booths set up and a lot of them are taking applications so it's worth striking up a conversation.

• Stay for the happy hour

So you've spent all day going from room to room and up and down the stairs getting your steps in. You're tired and ready to go home to prepare yourself to do it all again the following morning. BUT don't head out just yet! Stay for the happy hour (if it's offered). Refactr Tech had board games and drinks and it was a great opportunity to meet and just hang out with fellow developers. It's another chance to network and even make a few new friends.

A graphic of a cursor clicking cancel of a download to illustrate the TL;DR section

TL;DR:

Get there early, stay late. You never know what opportunities you may have. And come prepared with a way for people to learn more about you.

Thanks for reading!

Follow me on Twitter and check out my blog

Top comments (4)

Collapse

criadowcristina928 profile image
criadowcristina928

Studying is a dynamic journey with each milestone marked by unique challenges. As a student navigating the complexities of my coursework, one persistent difficulty is grasping concepts like the area and circumference of a circle. To tackle this, I've found solace in StoryboardThat, a service that not only aids my understanding but also transforms learning into a creative adventure. If you're facing similar academic hurdles or just seeking to enhance your knowledge, I highly recommend exploring the insightful world of area and circumference of a circle worksheets. You can see details here. These worksheets are more than just study materials; they're a gateway to a deeper comprehension of mathematical concepts. Embark on your learning journey with StoryboardThat and witness the transformation in your understanding of geometry and beyond!

Collapse

annabon17305090 profile image
Anna Bond • Edited

I understand this but have you ever thought of using sources that would help you with your studies, like essaypapers.reviews/ because I have been using this for a long time now and I feel absolutely fine because I don't have to spend a lot of time writing.

Collapse

mattewadams profile image
MattewAdams

Every company needs a web development team at the moment, because we live in the age of Information Technology, do not forget this. However, a large number of people do not know much important information on this topic. By the way, I found this platform for webinars that my friend sent me. I think this is important information for each and every one of you and I'm sure you want to return to this company.

Collapse

papaspizzeria profile image
papas-pizzeria

I agree with you. Where I started a job rooted in my passion skibidi toilet io