CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [On-Demand Talk] Redefining Your Programming Purpose
Tracy Holmes for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

[On-Demand Talk] Redefining Your Programming Purpose

About this talk

I'm ancient in tech years - many would've given up. There are those who are just starting and discovering what they want is not where they need to be. I pride myself on being candid - not only with myself, but also with others. So, speaking about how/why I believed I failed instead of initially embracing something I genuinely liked doing? I felt it was something I needed to do.

Adjacency really isn't an easy pill to swallow...until you realize that pill makes you feel complete. Not landing in software engineering weighed heavily on me and contributed to an unhealthy mindset. My goal for this talk is to help solve the issue of engineers or coders who feel as though they've failed because they aren't doing EXACTLY what they set out to do.

Talk Recording

Slides

🌈 Comment below and ask me questions — I might just answer them during my live speaker discussion!

About me

Hi! I'm Tracy P Holmes. I consider myself a "Jackie of All Trades" and a mistress of being myself. I work as a Technical Community Advocate at Isovalent where I focus on sharing my love of Cilium, eBPF, and Anxiety Driven Development. When I'm not leveling up my programming skills or helping others have "lightbulb" moments, I like baking, hanging with my pup, and learning something new to help me along my career. I'm active in the open source community and believe that open source is like gardening — pay attention to your conditions, and water only when needed.

This on-demand talk is part of CodeLand 2022 — a virtual conference brought to you by CodeNewbie & DEV on June 16 & 17, 2022.

Oldest comments (49)

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

I love the slide design! So excited to hear this! :]

Collapse

mnechromancer profile image
Jamison Ducey

Very inspiring story! Thank you for the presentation!

Collapse

gopal2008 profile image
GOPAL2008

which languages should learn first ma'am for games development,pls reply...

Collapse

tracypholmes profile image
Tracy Holmes

Unfortunately, games development is not my realm of expertise. I can almost guarantee I'll point you in the wrong direction. You can absolutely ask on Twitter or in a group you may be a member of? I'm sure people have a lot of recommendations for you!

Collapse

essbee808 profile image
Sheena

"Use the crap you go through as fertilizer...to grow something beautiful." - Tracy P Holmes

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

Short but nice and helpful, thank you :)

Collapse

jayda15 profile image
Jessica D

I've only heard of the role "developer advocate" a couple of times and haven't done too much research into it, but what would you say are some of the best parts of your role?

Collapse

Tracy Holmes

I think I answered this live. Did I answer your question pretty well?

Collapse

jayda15 profile image
Jessica D

Hi there Tracy,
Yes, you did answer it live and very well!
I appreciate the feedback :)

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

I relate to your insatiable thirst for knowledge and not knowing how to narrow down your interests so you can focus and make progress. Thank you so much for your presentation 😊

Collapse

carolineschettler profile image
carolineschettler

How did that mentor of yours help you not hate Python as much?? Asking for a friend 😂

Collapse

Tracy Holmes

😅 I pretty much just QUIT it for a while. That particular person (if I'm thinking of the correct thing) actually RAN a Python group for a while, so had things broken down into manageable pieces with actual written tutorials. Which works better for me than videos any day of the week!

Collapse

blarerobinson profile image
Blare Robinson

Thank you, Tracy!

Collapse

hatricia profile image
Hattie

No questions, just a big thanks for sharing your story!

Collapse

srivera12 profile image
Sarah Rivera

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

Tracy your talk was so heartfelt, thank you!

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

Thank you for the presentation! You have a wonderful way of telling stories.

Collapse

Tracy Holmes

Ah shucks, thank you for that!

Collapse

rzuick profile image
Rebecca Z

This was an amazing presentation! The gem you left us with, "if it doesn't exist, create it", is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you!

Collapse

zoemoment profile image
Zoe

When would you feel it appropriate to jump into an open source project?

Collapse

Tracy Holmes

I am BIG on saying "Documentation Counts". I can guarantee the open source project has something missing in the documentation. You can def start there at any point. Or even checking out the "good first issues" the project may have. The other thing is if the project is something you use and you think of a feature or see a bug...submit those issues! I won't say go whole hog on nothing but grammatical errors and misspelled words, but def count those small wins. Seeing something small get accepted or merged is a great bump to the "I did that!!" part of your brain.