CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [On-Demand Talk] Women and Tech: Why Representation Matters
Pachi Parra for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

[On-Demand Talk] Women and Tech: Why Representation Matters

About this talk

It's no secret: the percentage of women and non-binary people in technology is much lower than that of men. And that number drops even more in leadership positions.

In this lecture, we will talk about representation: What is it? Why does it matter?

I'll talk about how thinking deeply about this can literally change the lives of the people involved and how those of you who are not women can support and help with actions (not just posts on Twitter).

Talk Recording

Slides

🌈 Comment below and ask me questions — I might just answer them during my live speaker discussion!

About me

Hi! I'm Pachi, your friendly developer relations person. After nannying for years, I started learning to code while building meaningful connections within the dev community. As a native Brazilian, I infuse her experience as an immigrant woman in tech into my work. My goal is to create newbie-friendly content to help make tech should be accessible to all. When I'm not live coding on Twitch, I watch anime, read too many romance novels, and complain about the patriarchy on Twitter.

This on-demand talk is part of CodeLand 2022 — a virtual conference brought to you by CodeNewbie & DEV on June 16 & 17, 2022.

Oldest comments (18)

Collapse

soccerzortz profile image
Lara Krefski

I'm really looking forward to this talk. As a woman developer, I have really had to deal with discrimination and prove myself to my male counterparts. I have had to work extra hard to get respect and fight against biases.

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

Coming into the tech field, I really had no idea how gender skewed this culture is. I've been so lucky to be surrounded by women who code that convinced me that there are more of them than the statistics.

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

How are you/do you have advice to present ourselves when we are marginalized in order to be seen?

Collapse

raulgonzalezcz profile image
Raúl González Cruz

In Mexico there are more and more events to invite women and LGBT community to take part in STEM activities. So proud this path makes possible to include more and more people (because tech is for everyone)!

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

Nice talk to our women in tech, inspiration!

Collapse

alyssha profile image
Alyssha

Thank you for sharing Pachi! Great panel!

Collapse

mburkhardt52 profile image
Michael Burkhardt

Thanks Pachi!

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

I'm quite familiar with topics like representation and was looking forward to your talk! I liked it and totally agree with you, thank you Pachi.

Collapse

devencourt profile image
brian bethencourt

Do you have any tips for getting started with Twitch streaming?

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

In the past, I've worked in remote teams with mostly male software developers. For the most part, it's been great - except for when I've gotten steamrolled on Zoom calls.

While my coworkers have typically been kind and I think their values are in a good place, they REALLY talked over me. I've tried to interrupt them back but I'm not going to scream in a meeting to be heard. Do you have any advice for when this happens in future teams? I'd really like to nip this frustrating behavior in the bud without accusing them of sexism right away!

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

@pachicodes That was an awesome talk. I love your sense of humour and all the important points mentioned! Just on the side, Have you read the Storm and Silence series? You kinda remind me of Patsy, one of the main character's friends 😁😁

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Hi Pachi. Thank you for your talk! It was really good for me to hear your point of view. I want to become a better ally and I'm trying to learn more and more and your tips at the end really helped, especially the one to encourage the women in one's life to pursue a career in coding.

Collapse

piguicorn profile image
Logan

How do you find the self-confidence and stand out with so many men trying to make you feel/look small?

Collapse

yelitza87 profile image
Yelitza87

I understand that especially kind and responsive people have a hard time accepting the aggression of others. It is difficult for them to fight back and learn to protect their borders. I advise you to seek advice us.calmerry.com/self-esteem-therapy/ This will allow you to form self-esteem and understand the nature of the behavior of others.

Collapse

lolola profile image
Lol-Ola

We should do more to encourage women give coding or a career in tech a try. Be each others support. Thanks for your presentation Pachi.

Collapse

phaveey profile image
Phaveey

This is motivating!