CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for What talk are you most excited to experience at CodeLand 2022?

What talk are you most excited to experience at CodeLand 2022?

CodeNewbie Staff on May 25, 2022

Hey there, CodeNewbie Community members old and new! With CodeLand 2022 coming up really soon (June 16 & 17, 2022), our team would l...
Collapse

cmilesuk profile image
Chris Miles

Another first timer. Looking forward to everything, but "Accessibility is not a mystery" jumped out as a particularly strong title.

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

👋🏼 Chris, I'm a first timer too and not really sure what to expect ... looking forward to it and hoping to connect with other learners to encourage each other 😃 Would love to follow you on Twitter, I'm @katfay_ Accessibility is such an important topic. I think the last few years has shown us that if tech is not designed with diverse needs in mind from the start - it can be a life damaging/threatening (just thinking of how apps and comms were not initially tailored older or culturally diverse audiences who needed them here in Melbourne, Aus, during the pandemic).

Collapse

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

Same :)

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Literally, all of them! 🤩

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini • Edited

This is the first time of me participating to a codeLand. And um so excited to see whats going and everything on there.🤩💜

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

I truly cannot and will not pick 😂

Collapse

cbid2 profile image
Christine

As someone new to coding and learning HTML, CSS, & JavaScript to design more engaging & inclusive online courses, “Accessibility in Design” and “Teaching through Code Reviews” are the two webinars that pique my interest.

Collapse

katfay profile image
Kat Fay

They sound like interesting choices Christine and I can relate to being new at HTML, CSS & JavaScript. What kind of courses are you designing?

Collapse

cbid2 profile image
Christine

I aspire to create courses for educators at a university or a EdTech company. So far, it’s been for K-12.

Collapse

justacodergirl profile image
justacodergirl

The whole CodeLand event😍​

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

I was part of the committee this year who had the honor to choose which talks should be held on this years CodeLand. I guarantee, all these talks will be AMAZING!!

Collapse

mattvanitallie profile image
Matt Van Itallie

omg this is so exciting!

I am looking forward to all of them too.

But can I "cheat" and say the "talk" I'm most interested in is hearing from with newer coders and hearing their stories and their passion for coding. It is so exciting to me to hear folks' journeys into tech, what's on their minds, and what they are looking forward to.

Collapse

elaineaqs profile image
Elaine Aquino • Edited

Hey! :) I am most excited about the accessibility talks and listening to the stories of the speakers about their personal and professional journeys. I also would love to learn about inclusivity topics as they make me really curious. :)

Collapse

lornar1980 profile image
Lorna

I'm particularly drawn to the accessibility and mental health talks- but it all sounds genuinely great!

Collapse

barrytmock profile image
barrytmock

Hello everyone! Thank you company for your help these last 3 weeks! Your advice given about communication with my girlfriend has tremendously helped, and we are doing so much better. I appreciate and I am thankful. I'm happy that online texting therapy will continue helping to others. Thanks so much! He has been nothing short of a miracle.

Collapse

benji1304 profile image
Ben Stokes

Anything on accessibility and mental health

Collapse

thomasbnt profile image
Thomas Bnt

Oooh me too!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

I'm excited for all the talks at this year's CodeLand. I'm especially excited to hear the keynotes from Angie, Kelsey, and Tracy.

Collapse

vanessavun profile image
Vanessa Vun

"Next-Gen Inclusivity: How Gen Z Can Make Real Change in Tech" is what I look forward to. Now that I'm a little "older" as a millenial, I gotta stay in the know on what is going on with Gen Z. It's a constantly changing world.

Collapse

selver profile image
selver

"How I Tracked My Pregnancy with Python & Emojis" :) Gonna be interesting

Collapse

avacado00 profile image
Avacado Girl

Actually this is my 1st time.

Collapse

randychs profile image
Randy Macdonald

I'm excited to be a 1st time registrant. Unfortunately, I will most of the live sessions as I teach high school computer science and this will take place during our last 2 days of school. Nonetheless, I'll try to follow this all asynchronously and hopefully recordings will be available. :-)

Collapse

dyarawilliams profile image
D'yara Williams

The experience of all of them but most importantly:

Day 01 🔥

• A Programmer's Guide to Mental Health - RAYMOND CHUNG
  • I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode - SILVIA ESPAÑA

Day 02 🔥

• Design Systems for Developers - KATHRYN GRAYSON NANZ
  • There's More to Open Source than Code - RAMÓN HUIDOBRO
Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

This is my first time attending CodeLand. To be honest, I'm excited by all the intriguing talks lined-up, especially the ones under the Theme 'Healthy Coding' but if I HAD to choose one I'd say "Celibrate you're misteaks" because it gets an extra point for the punny title 😉

Collapse

gulshanaggarwal profile image
Gulshan aggarwal

Excited for Design System for Developers which will take place on Friday, (10:14 PM GMT+5:30 (4:44 PM UTC)). Because I love to read a lot about the backend part, how good systems are designed, & standard tools are used. 🤩

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera • Edited

The talk in🌈CodeLand 2022

Thrilled and excited😊🤗 to experience all of them.

But hardly I'll pick one talk among them which is Design Systems for Developers By KATHRYN GRAYSON NANZ.

There's no one special reason. However, as we all are devs, we always build up or design variance kinda systems for others to make their life better or easier.
But not for us...?!?

So let's stay blessed & hear more systems for Developers🍻.

Glad to have the community like dev.to & codenewbie.org.😉 Hats off 💃 to the @codenewbiestaff + @dev.tostaff team.
Collapse

madelene profile image
Madelene Campos

I was a code newbie back in 2015, went to a bootcamp and have been working as a programmer ever since! I'm looking forward to coming at this from the "other side" and feeling that positive energy and hope, again.

Collapse

jolenekearse profile image
Jolene Kearse • Edited

I've attended a few other online tech conferences before, but I'm really enjoying this - maybe my favourite! I'm really loving using Discord, so I can chat and really interact with other people. This is keeping me so engaged and not feeling alone. I like that there are other people just getting started in tech.
Oops, misread the question! I'm excited for Ramon's talk, because I took his JavaScript bootcamp. It's also on Open Source, which if read about, but am still unsure how to get involved.

Collapse

faruqjada profile image
FaruqJada

This is my first time of attending a codeland conference, I am looking forward to all of them and quite interesting about all of them

Collapse

mariasilva_dev profile image
Maria Silva

👋🏼 First timer here!
As a prenatal nurse I am really excited for the How I Tracked My Pregnancy with Python & Emojis. Sounds so interesting, I've never heard a patient do this. 😃 I only know the basics of Python but I'm excited to keep learning!

Collapse

abmdev profile image
Auroiah Morgan

First time just looking to see what this is. I recently got my first developer position after a few years of learning and failing ! Excited to make some new connections and grow a foundation to continue on evolving my skills and helping others!

Collapse

angelfirenze profile image
Angelfirenze

I don't have anyone I'm on edge to hear from, more that I want to see everything I can.

I attended last year, but this year I knew about it way in advance.

The Chat function.

I'm attending this year because as soon as I heard about it, I was instantly excited.

I wouldn't say I have a side project, per se. I've been learning on-and-off at Team Treehouse and Pluralsight. I just wish I had the opportunity where I could just go from month to month without having to freeze my Team Treehouse account because I can't pay for it that month, or this month, honestly. I suppose a side project I was successful at, however, was completing #100DaysOfCode through Team Treehouse in 2018.

A cool thing I learned is that I know more than I thought I would at this point. That there is more accessiblity than there was when I started, well and truly, on my Livejournal in 2004. I still have it and it taught me a ton about HTML/CSS and I love that others learned the same way.

A way I stay motivated is to not allow myself to think about getting started. Sitting down at my computer at eleven o'clock at night and just doing some programming until two am is really enjoyable for me.

I'm learning a whole bunch of things. The key for me is to find ways to stay excited because the loss of motivation for myself starts with not listening to myself. I've gone back to tweets from two days ago and found exactly what the problem was already expressed about how I need to type along with the stream. I can't seem to understand everything if I do it differently. I instantly get my motivation back.

The last thing that blew my mind was when I realized that I'd learned how to hack and was a hacker. That started because I was really tired of being hacked and had to figure out how to keep it from happening in the first place.

Realizing that someone WROTE different sites in the formats I've seen is universally awesome. Like the Montana Meth Project. I realized, 'someone wrote this!'.

I know I still want to be a forensic pathologist, but I want to work in a job that doesn't feel physically tortured at the end of a workday with pain in my back and legs.

Professionally, I've learned that people lie. Businesses lie. I'd tell myself to look for jobs that aren't secretly for neurotypicals and the managers aren't going to hop, skip, and jump right over your resume because they don't actually have to TELL you that's why they aren't hiring or re-hiring you.

The memory of writing a webpage AT ALL making me extremely nervous. Like, when I would stumble across an insanely awesome Livejournal where the stylesheet was SO COOL. I would always wonder 'HOW DID THEY DO THAT?' I don't think that anymore.

Collapse

pablohe78730909 profile image
Pablo Hernandez

I think that NITYA NARASIMHAN is a firecracker and such gift, she just spent minutes of her time to give of herself and offer some of the most influential material that I have seen in a while. Thanks so much on your efforts as your truly a person that will pay it forward quite a number of times.

Collapse

rohithsreedharan profile image
Rohithaditya

Everything Including Welcome Speech, I am excited to GO ahead with it.

Collapse

allisonblumenthal profile image
Allison Blumenthal

As a total newbie, I'm looking forward to hearing the perspectives of Joe Glombek in "Celibrate your misteaks" and Raymond Chung in "A Programmers Guide to Mental Health." Those both feel like great topics to be exposed to, early on in this career change!

Collapse

brianhhough profile image
Brian H. Hough | brianhuff.eth

Hi devs!! This is my first CodeLand 2022 and really looking forward to the talks and discussions 😊 I'm most excited to learn from experienced engineers on how to keep up in this fast-paced industry and navigate code reviews. Thank you for putting this on @codenewbiestaff !!!

Collapse

marjanabm profile image
Marjan

This is the first time of me participating to a codeLand. And I can't say how I enjoyed Kelsey Hightower's talking. He was kind of explaining exactly my challenges and struggling part of tech life. Thank you CodeLand for this amazing conference.

Collapse

thomas43232 profile image
THOMAS43232

To find out about the talks and experiences at CodeLand 2022 and discover what may be exciting or interesting, I recommend visiting the official CodeLand website, reviewing their schedule, and looking for information and reviews for glass company from attendees who participated in the event. This will help you identify talks and sessions that align with your interests and goals.

Collapse

dallasviars profile image
Dallas Viars

There are so many, but the one that made me giddy was seeing that Ramon Huidobro is doing the There's More to Open Source than Code segment. He has a wonderful personality and seems like an overall awesome person :)

Collapse

zoemoment profile image
Zoe

I'm looking forward to all of them but I will pick my top three :)

• A Programmers Guide to Mental Health - Raymond Chung
  • Redefining Your Programming Purpose - Tracy P Holmes
  • Accessibility is Not a Mystery - Laurel Younis
  • I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode - Silvia Espana

Bah! I couldn't get down to less than four..

Collapse

pablohe78730909 profile image
Pablo Hernandez

Im an absolute Newbie... I am a transitioning from being in the healthcare arena as a Surgical Tech to learning Cybersecutrity and now learning HTML,CSS,Python and soon moving onto JavaScript,Front end, Back end,Full Stack and so on... I am so excited to part of this community and share all of my Healthcare experience.

Collapse

taurist profile image
Tauri StClaire

Tauri's Faves for Codeland 2022

Ok I didn't do that much whittling down, but I have a top 3 for each day!

Thursday

1. The Shared Responsibility of Tech Ethics with Erin Mikail Staples
  2. How I Tracked My Pregnancy with Python & Emojis with Hannah Hazi
  3. Lighting Talk Building Your “Accomplishment Journal”: with Matt Van Itallie and Sema Software

Friday

1. Open Toolbox: Design Systems for Developers with Kathryn Grayson Nanz
  2. Accessibility in Design with Bethany Jepchumba
  3. Inclusive Web Development with Clifford Ouma

I am a queer, Latinx, neurodivergent coder and my fiancee is a disabled veteran so Accessability and Inclusivity really matter to me! I care a lot about ethics and read a lot of sci-fi to inform my thoughts. {:
I love data and tech applied to our complicated and social and biological lives so I'm really fascinated by using Python to track pregnancy!

codeland2022

/***** I am in love with software engineering and breaking into tech! Follow my learning on my LinkedIn as I learn front end > UX design > Python *****/

Collapse

zoemoment profile image
Zoe

That's what I should have done! I had tried to get down to only three and failed.. I did get down to four!

Collapse

jimtornvall profile image
Jim Törnvall

Here for the experience, was really nice last time.

Collapse

bkid00 profile image
bkid00

Hope everything will be excited here.

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

All of them. I like specially the ones focused on resume/LinkedIn as well as career advice.

Collapse

bagya00 profile image
Bhagyaa

Cannot pick a one. Hope everything will be exiting.🤓​

Collapse

nadreamer profile image
Nad

I'm looking forward to all of the accessibility and inclusivity talks, but also "The Shared Responsibility of Tech Ethics"!

Collapse

taurist profile image
Tauri StClaire

Me too! I love sci-fi and Isaac Asimov so I am always thinking about the ethics of our advancing tech. :) I'm looking forward to some fresh perspectives from tech professionals!

Collapse

supermari0s profile image
Marios

To meet new people and learn new things ! I still follow people i met during the last CodeLand !

Collapse

itsoseiza profile image
BELLO BABATUNDE

This will be my first time of attending CodeLand, and i am looking forward to so many things as an upcoming developer. Let's just say i am open to learn many new things.

Collapse

cycool29 profile image
cycool29

First time joining Codeland, and I am just excited to experience all of the talks! 💯

Collapse

danielbuscor profile image
danielbuscor

First timer here. Im looking forward for the "A Programmer's Guide to Mental Health" and "I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode" talks.

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop

I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode I think will be of particular interest to me because, as a newbie, I struggle with really thinking through and planning out my code.

Collapse

pramitsingh0 profile image
Pramit Singh

Very excited for all of the events. This is my first ever conference. It'll be a new experience getting to know new people.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

Nearly most of the topics seemed interesting. I hope to to learn something valuable as God willing.

Collapse

pramitsingh0 profile image
Pramit Singh

Looking forward to the event.

Collapse

njch5 profile image
Nicky Choi

Looking forward to hearing Tracy Chou!

Collapse

gungz profile image
Agung Sidharta So

All of them but if I need to pick one, Fireside chat looks interesting.

Collapse

adeolaogunkola profile image
Ogunkola Adeola Ayorinde

Thanks for the opportunity to join, So glad to hear from professionals from the Big Tech spaces.

Collapse

lellis09 profile image
Lishia Ellis

Accessibility in Design is what I'm excited to learn more about. As someone who is a new developer I feel like this would be a good area for me to learn about.

Collapse

simarpreetsingh019 profile image
Simarpreet Singh

Waiting for @haimantika 's talk

Collapse

jkuffler profile image
Jason Kuffler

Tough call: Kelsey Hightower - Google Cloud

Collapse

yelnats profile image
Stanley Nelson

First time post as well and I'm excited to hear all of them! I love the chance to be able to soak up knowledge and experience from others that are also passionate about all-things-dev ❤️

Collapse

kaitlinlewis profile image
kaitlinLewis

I am so excited for all of them - but especially Angie Jones - an inventor, teacher, and all around inspirational human! I can't wait to learn!

Collapse

taurist profile image
Tauri StClaire

Thank you for writing a short blurb about Angie Jones, I am curious about who all the speakers are!

Collapse

joeglombek profile image
Joe Glombek

I'm available to hire to write punny talk titles 😜

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

all of them!

Collapse

mariessad profile image
mariessad

This is my first CodeLand! I'm interested in networking with other early-career devs and learning from all the talks! Especially looking forward to hearing from under-represented people in tech

Collapse

bobbytrejo profile image
Bobby Trejo

First time joining CodeLand and didnt know what to expect. But the Keynote Speaker Kelsey was awesome and really enjoyed his part.

Collapse

itsnatalye profile image
itsNatalye • Edited

I am open to learning everything that is presented. Definately connecting with like minded people and supporting one another!

Collapse

dough profile image
Makondu

I want the full CodeLand experience.

Collapse

moonshoeskelly profile image
moonshoeskelly

Early career developer here, I'm excited to learn about how I can grow and improve my skills.

Collapse

madelene profile image
Madelene Campos

I was a Code Newbie back in 2015, went to a bootcamp, and have been in the field ever since. I'm looking forward to feeling that positive energy and "hope" and coming at this from the other side. :)

Collapse

missbabelfish profile image
Leah Godfrey

The ten commandments of code reviews talk sounds particularly intriguing! Always looking for tips and tools to make reviews smoother and more productive.

Collapse

asbourlotos profile image
Alexander Bourlotos

Mine is "Redefining your programming purpose". Based on my background coming into tech, a problem for me was exactly this. Very excited to see what they have to say!

Collapse

ahamedr profile image
Ahamed

Design Systems for Developers

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Redefining Your Programming Purpose!

Collapse

floatingdynamo profile image
Sridhar Maskeri

Most Excited for "A Programmer's Guide to Mental Health", I think this really needs to be addressed! Really important in today's busy life!

Collapse

peaceudoka profile image
Azubuogu Peace Udoka

Looking forward to everything 🤩

Collapse

mjs94080 profile image
MacKenzie

Kelsey Hightower had a good talk.

Collapse

barkh22g profile image
G. Barkhuff

It's my first time too! I'm excited to meet some people on the discord.

Collapse

amaraee profile image
Amaraee

So excited for all of them actually 😂🥰🥰

Collapse

cecily916 profile image
cecily-916

I'm SO bad at pseudocode lol so that one. And all the accessibility ones.

Collapse

rebeccaokine profile image
Bex👩🏿‍💻💜

A programmer's guide to mental health

Collapse

techgirl007 profile image
TechGirl007

I am looking forward to this discussion:
Begin your Developer Journey to Cloud + AI
by: Nitya Narasimhan

Collapse

barkh22g profile image
G. Barkhuff

It's my first time too! I'm excited to meet some people on the discord. :)

Collapse

ekoyon profile image
Ekoyon

Definitely "there's more to open source than code"
I have zero experience in open source so I find it intriguing

Collapse

tabspear profile image
Tabspear

"Accessibility is not a mystery".:)

Collapse

codewithbuikem profile image
Kalu Victor

This is my first time so i am excited for everything

Collapse

christopheraaron_ profile image
Christopher Aaron

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE!

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

It's so hard to choose! But currently I'm very excited for the talks of Hannah Hazi, Ruby LaBrusciano-Carris and Ramón Huidobro :)

Collapse

jonathanmani profile image
Jonathan Mani • Edited

This is my first tech conference, so I'm excited to hear the speakers and their experience in the tech world. Hope to learn some new things and meet cool people.

Collapse

mrkrishnaagarwal profile image
Krishna Agarwal

all of them but these are my favorites,
Inclusive Web Development
There's More to Open Source than Code

excited🥳

Collapse

thilinianuradha profile image
Thilini_Anuradha Pelithanthri

I am a new comer to participate in CodeLand. So I hope to experience all the talks and waiting excitedly.

Collapse

peacesandy profile image
Peace Sandy

Hi, I’m a First Timer, I’m looking forward to connecting with others

Collapse

gargeebhatnagar profile image
Gargee Bhatnagar

Excited to attend the opening Keynote and talk with experts in sessions😀

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars Pluģis

First time as participant on CodeLand 2022. So - all of them!

Collapse

odero profile image
Lewis Odero

looking forward and connecting with other learners and developeers ...

Collapse

oresanyap profile image
Oresanya Precious

All of them,I'm a first timer and willing to gain exciting knowledge

Collapse

iamrahul8 profile image
Rahul Kumar

Choosing a single one is literally hard. Whole Codeland conference is awesome 🥳🥳🥳🥳

Collapse

rafaelbpires profile image
Rafael B. Pires

First timer here. I have to say that "There's More to Open Source than Code", by
Ramón Huidobro is the one that caught my eye!

Collapse

overloadteam profile image
Overloadteam

What did you do when found a bug?
How to solve it? Any trick?

Collapse

slb2018 profile image
Sherri Burton

It's my first CodeLand so I'm really wanting to absorb from the speaker discussions!

Collapse

jawaragordon profile image
Jawara Gordon

Kelsey Hightower (did not disappoint!)

Collapse

stweffy_88 profile image
Stephanie Poon

Accessibility, representation, and mental health.

Collapse

argemflores profile image
Argem Flores

Got busy at work >_< so making time today to catch up and experience CodeLand once again :D

Collapse

justy profile image
Justin Thompson

There's More To Open Source Than Code! I've been looking to get more involved in OS projects

Collapse

essbee23 profile image
essbee23

I'm looking forward to connecting with other newbies, poc especially.

Collapse

ishabh profile image
ishabh thakur

we are interested in INTRODUCTION of new Tech companies who are availing their services to the MAANG!!!. Opportunities They offer. For an early stage developer