When we get stuck, we often have feelings of frustration, doubt, and stress. In my talk, the Beauty of Being Stuck, I argue that being stuck is a good thing. It's an opportunity for growth and an indicator of progress - something that can be hard to come by as a developer! By changing our mindset around this tough situation we are better prepared to get unstuck. Finally, I'll discuss the different types of being stuck and offer tips to get unstuck.
- A new way to think about being stuck.
- The "Ok Plateau" and why it's so dangerous if you're looking to improve.
- Different ways to get unstuck.
- Brain Pickings - The Psychology of Getting Unstuck: How to Overcome the “Ok Plateau” of Performance & Personal Growth
- Quote slide 23-24 - Moonwalking with Einstein, Joshua Foer, pg 171
- Joshua Foer: Step outside your comfort zone and study yourself failing
- Carol Dweck - The Power of believing that you can improve
- Desirable Difficulty - Make it Stick, Brown et al. pg 68-69
- Four Kinds of Stuck - Jeff Wofford, 2011
- Illustrations from Pixeltrue Packs - Minimalistic Illustrations
- UNC Learning Center - Tools and Tips on Skimming
Jonathan Yeong is a Senior Developer at Shopify and a Rubyist at heart. In his spare time, Jonathan produces videos about all things programming and writes on dev.to and CodeNewbie Community about topics that matter to early-career developers.