Playing online video games is like getting indulged in a social activity where people from all over the world can meet and interact with each other. You too can be a part of a large global community of like-minded gamers with shared interests. Moreover, online multiplayer games are also becoming greatly popular. It can be explained by the popularity of various multiplayer games like Minecraft, Counter-Strike, Starbound, Rust, Ark, Space Engineers, and many more.
Prerequisites for Playing Online Video Games
No doubt, the first thing required to enjoy playing online video games is a good gaming PC with a graphics card and multi-core processor, a high-speed Internet connection, a mic, and headphones. Now, these are just required to be a part of the game. To enjoy a smooth and uninterrupted gaming experience, you also need a great gaming server. Now spending a huge amount of money on a dedicated server is not a wise thing to play video games. So what we and experts recommend is a virtual private server (VPS).
Why You Need a VPS for Gaming?
To enjoy the performance and features of a dedicated server without pinching your pockets, VPS hosting is the perfect solution for gamers. Besides, to experience the greater depths of the gaming world without facing any frequent lags and interruptions, it makes sense to opt for a VPS.
Requirements for VPS for Gaming
A gaming VPS server needs the following:
1. Strong and Uninterrupted Internet Connection: To play an online game, you need to have a high-speed Internet connection at all times. This will prevent you from losing any critical gaming data and save you from facing frequent disconnections.
2. Sufficient Storage and Memory: If you host a multiple-player game involving 50-100 players, you will need at least 240GB of storage and 32GB of RAM. However, expert gamers believe that 1TB of storage is the safest bet.
3. High Computing Power: A gaming server must have high computing power so that it can handle multiple players playing the game simultaneously. A CPU that has a clock speed of 2.5 Ghz is considered the minimal gaming server requirement.
4. A Quick Processor: A fast processor enables you to host games with minimal lag, stalls, and disconnects. For a gaming server, a processor with four cores, eight threads, and a 3.80GHZ clock speed is considered the best.
Best VPS Game Server Hosting
Hostwinds offers dedicated Minecraft hosting with the McMyAdmin (MCMA) control panel that comes with in-built game servers. A base configuration of 4 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 150 GB SSD storage, and 3 TB monthly bandwidth comes for $38.99 per month at Hostwinds. For complete control over the code and users, while managing a game server, the suitable plan offered by Hostwinds is the Minecraft Hosting plan. McMyAdmin can support unlimited unique games.
InMotion Hosting is a specialist in providing cloud servers for game hosting. It offers high-performance VPS plans based on NVMe SSD storage hardware that is suitable for most requirements. The inclusion of cPanel and WHM (WebHost Manager) enables gamers to run their choice of Minecraft or Steam/Valve games.
The TCAdmin control panel comes with a plugin for WHMCS that will allow gamers to install over 75 Steam and Valve games with a GUI. Another option is GameCP with VoIP and live chat options.
With Sudo Access, Bluehost has made it easy to install Minecraft on its Ultimate VPS plan. You only need to include the Java SDK as a runtime dependency. By using the SteamCMD framework, Steam and Valve games can be easily played on the VPS. For safety, the Bluehost platform includes cybersecurity. All Bluehost VPS plans come with a license for cPanel, WHM, and free SSL certificates for every add-on domain. Bluehost allows you to use the same server for web publishing and game hosting.
Hostinger offers Minecraft servers on VPS plans with a pre-installed Game Panel for settings and administration. Forge is the default server option for user mods and modkits, with extra Minecraft server options available. The VPS platform comes with multiple versions of Java. The Hostinger Minecraft hosting platform also supports CraftBukkit, Spigot, Paper, Purpur, SpongeVanilla, Cauldron, Tekkit, Feed the Beast, Project Rainbow, and Bedrock (pocket).
5. A2 Hosting
When it comes to pricing, the unmanaged VPS plans of A2 Hosting are the best in the industry. A2 Hosting recommends its VPS plans for game server and Minecraft hosting requirements. With Webuzo, you can easily install support for Java and other custom runtime extensions. The SSH makes it easy for you to install any supported SteamPipe game with the command line. The VPS plans of A2 Hosting run on AMD EPCY processors with NVMe SSD storage for the fastest gaming speeds.
Advantages of VPS for Gaming
1. Value for Money: With VPS for gaming, you will get to use some of the best enterprise-level hardware at an affordable price.
2. Full Root Access: Full root access to your VPS gaming server allows you to customize your server as many times as you want.
3. Dedicated (Private) Resources: VPS gives you more power and dedicated (private) resources that only you can access and use.
4. Improved Security: As VPS providers offer each user private resources, users get better privacy and security with it.
Disadvantages of VPS for Gaming
1. Controlling Players: If you want to use your VPS gaming server to host a game that can be played by everyone and is available to a wider public, it becomes impossible to stop players from cheating.
2. More Limited Resources than Dedicated Servers: The resources offered by VPS servers are more than that offered by shared hosting but are much more limited when compared to dedicated hosting.
The ever-evolving space of online gaming is helping gamers to explore new adventures and thrills. Moreover, to make it even easier for them, advanced game servers with powerful features and functionalities are being introduced by technology companies so that one can play a game virtually with anyone in the world to enjoy an unparalleled gaming experience. A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is an excellent fit for any gaming server as it offers scalable resources, excellent performance, and full root access.