CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for March 19th, 2021: What did you learn this week?
Nick Taylor
Nick Taylor

Posted on

March 19th, 2021: What did you learn this week?

It's that time of the week folks. So wonderful code newbies, what did you learn this week? It could be programming tips, career advice etc.

![Image of the brain](https://media.giphy.com/media/ojmB7lOn3VUU8/giphy.gif)

Feel free to comment with what you learnt and/or reference your TIL post to give it some more exposure. πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ»πŸ‘‡πŸΌπŸ‘‡πŸ½πŸ‘‡πŸΎπŸ‘‡πŸΏ

#todayilearned

Latest comments (6)

Collapse

bryceroars profile image
Bryce Rohrer • Edited

I actually launched my very first Chrome Extension this week. It's still in the works but the main functionality has been created! It's called Synthplayer and I made it because i was annoyed I had to keep going to youtube and finding focus music to listen to when I wanted to just jump right into studying.

Now Synthplayer does it for me, it has my favorite songs on it and all I have to do is click the buttons!

I've worked on some really complicated projects in C++ and I'm more proud of this one than any of my recursive AVL Binary Tree stuff.
community.codenewbie.org/remoteima...

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Lego astronaut saying tawesome!

Collapse

jordanaf808 profile image
jordanaf808

Honestly, I went a little light on the coding this week and focused on cleaning, organizing and grooming to pre-covid standards. But I did make some progress on polishing up my portfolio site and adding features to a project. Also I listened to some great advice on applying and interviewing for your first coding job from Coder Foundry and Coding After 30 / TechRally on youtube.

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hey J, do you have the link? What struck you about the interview? Any advice you care to share?

PS. I call those cleaning/organizational days, "Cleaning My Brain" ala Talking Heads, youtu.be/7Lf4_eXORRM?t=45

Collapse

jordanaf808 profile image
jordanaf808

Sure, Here's the CodingAfter30 interview with TechRally: youtu.be/YHD_FBUvi70
and one with CompSciCodeFi: youtu.be/V_2Iq4ddkh8

There were so many great tips in both of these videos on building an effective, simple resume with the right key words, having the right projects on your portfolio and making sure you present it in the interview. Paul also shares some of his projects and resume. I really like the Coding After 30 channel, because I can relate :) and he doesn't really sugar coat anything, but keeps you motivated too.

Collapse

nickytonline profile image
Nick Taylor

Self care is just as important. 😎

Nice to hear the portfolio is coming along too.

Captain America saluting