CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: #CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

Collapse

sam9111 profile image
Samyuktha Ganeshkumar
  1. I want to code more because: I want to improve my skillset and hence my resume so that I can work on impactful projects , contribute as much as I can to open source and eventually land a good job in the future.
  2. I know I’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when: My code gets good feedback from others since I was able to use the best practices, tips and tricks I learnt from the community and my Github profile is up to my satisfaction. I also wish that I will be able to solve leetcode answers more quickly and efficiently. My side project grows to a certain extent with my code and considerably good for submitting to a hackathon.
  3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    • I will be able to give in time even when tests are happening.
    • I am in the right mindset to work and collaborate with my teammates.
    • I have enough resources to look at to finish my side project before the hackathon deadline.
  4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is having enough "time".
  5. When I think about my riskiest assumption, three possible root causes are:
    • Coding assignments and tests in college
    • Sometimes I just do not feel like touching the computer at all i.e procrastinating, lack of self-discipline
    • I get overstressed with the ambitions and goals I set for myself
  6. 3 ways I might address these root causes are:
    • Finish college work during the day by not oversleeping
    • Meditation and Self-care before approaching the tasks I set for myself for that day
    • Using productivity techniques like Pomodoro to track my progress and take enough breaks
  7. Of these, the biggest cause that’s worth tackling first is waking up early!
Collapse

mmjordan11 profile image
Matt Jordan

I find getting to bed early and getting enough sleep is hugely helpful in waking up early and then I do some of my most productive coding in the early morning. If it works for you too, you are on the right track!

Be careful focusing too much on tools like Pomodoro. The timer alone is not the answer. You will find you get a lot done, but it might not be very meaningful work. Before you time yourself, make sure you have prioritized your to do list well. A helpful practice I have been doing is writing down everything on my mind, then crossing out everything that isn't essential. Then figure out the things you need to get done to have peace of mind when you go to sleep that night and tackle those items head-on from most important (typically hardest) to least important. This is where you can start using the Pomodoro technique.

Good luck!

Collapse

gaming_tora profile image
Tora Jane (she/her)

Sometimes I don't feel like touching the computer at all for similar reasons. Then I find myself thinking about the code when I am trying to sleep!

I like using the Pomodoro technique. I ended up getting a 30 minute sand hourglass timer because I want to give myself the opportunity to keep coding after time has ran out, in case I have gotten in the zone or flow. I didnt want to get distracted by the ding of an app or timer.

Collapse

jislamtrine profile image
j_islam

Wow, this is just the thing i do. I haven't touched my laptop for whole day. And i know that, i'll think of coding just before i go to sleep. Then i have no time and have to go to sleep, so i aspire to do it tomorrow and then... it all starts again.