CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Top 6 Databases of 2022 and what each of them are used for?
Tip Season
Tip Season

Posted on • Updated on

Top 6 Databases of 2022 and what each of them are used for?

Top 6 Databases trending recently (as per stackoverflow developer report) and what each of them are used for?

1. MySQL , PostgreSQL are the top 2 open source SQL databases used by most tech companies and great for interview preparation. They are mainly relational databases. To compare the syntax you can refer to (https://tipseason.com/postgres-vs-mysql-syntax-comparision/)

2. SQLite: Is a light weight database that is embedded into most mobile applications. If you are an Android/IOS developer definitely take a look at it.

3. MongoDB: Is widely using NoSQL database. Its a cross-platform document-oriented database program.

4. Microsoft SQL Server: Its a microsoft version of SQL implementation for relational databases. Great for Azure or .Net applications.

5. Redis: This is a must learn open source, in-memory data store used by millions of developers as a database, cache, streaming engine, and message broker. Great for caching .

PS: For top interview questions: https://tipseason.com/coding-interviews.html

What DB do you use for devleopment ?

Follow me on twitter for daily updates:

Top comments (4)

Collapse

timrohrer profile image
Tim Rohrer

MongoDB primarily for new development, although some of my maintenance work relies on MySql because of Wordpress. However, I do not do much directly with it, nor do I have any intention of doing so in the future.

I do some work with Sqlite3, but mostly reads of existing data files. I suspect I'll do a bit more with it since it just seems to work so well for local storage not just with mobile devices.

Redis is one I suppose I should get smarter with, but most of my front end work is in React, and for that I'm using Redux.

Collapse

tipseason profile image
Tip Season

Interesting to know about Redux. Do you use it for front end data cache,?

Collapse

timrohrer profile image
Tim Rohrer

I suppose one could characterize it that way.

For me it is a companion lib for ReactJS to manage state. So, any data that is loaded from an API or perhaps the user will likely get stored in my Redux store.

However, I do admit that I may be β€œoverusing” it, especially with larger objects. And wondering if there are better approaches. Still on the steep part of the learning curve when it comes to making bigger apps.

Thread Thread

tipseason profile image
Tip Season

Amazing usecase. I was looking for similar libraries recently for my project at TipSeason.com . Will definitely give it a try. Thank you so much for your detailed response πŸ™Œ