CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Loreto E. Torres
Loreto E. Torres

Posted on • Updated on

What’s the best resource to learn/re-learn Ruby on Rails

This is a RoR (Ruby on Rails) question: What is the best resource to learn/re-learn the latest version Ruby on Rails?

Years (it seems like “ages”) ago, I started to learn it; bought a book-and-software package from Borders (update: i just remember that it was from Barnes and Noble) and by the time I finally had my setup, everything is old. 🙁 And my learnings had gone to the wayside.

I am not in software dev right now. I am working in retail sales for a couple years now.(Before that I was an Uber/Lyft driver). However, I am working my way back to the Software Dev industry.

My presence in CodeLand is one of those steps. Learned a lot today.

What to do?

PS I initially posted this question in Discord and someone replied with this YouTube link, which I find very interesting — https://youtu.be/fmyvWz5TUWg

Latest comments (6)

Collapse

dileepreddyaella profile image
AELLA SAI DILEEP REDDY • Edited

The Ruby on Rails Tutorial book by Michael Hartl is great or beginners.

Collapse

mr1990kai profile image
mr1990kai

if I'm in your shoes I will go for Udemy wait for special offers and buy the best sell course in ruby alternative free code camp will be just fun really

Collapse

tanakamutakwa profile image
Tanaka Mutakwa

Hello

When I was still developing in Ruby on Rails the go to book for learning was Agile Web Development with Rails.

I see there is a latest version book here - pragprog.com/titles/rails6/agile-w...

Collapse

tinside profile image
Michael

Try Ruby Monk
rubymonk.com/

also LaunchSchool has very good free Ruby resources, and is excellent generally
launchschool.com/books/ruby

Installing ruby is quite tricky initially, suggest research rbenv tool. Suggestion- be very sure how you will uninstall if necessary, before you start installing stuff.

Everything seems a bit easier on Ubuntu imho, normally use macos

Collapse

hrishimittal profile image
Hrishi Mittal

Chris Oliver (from Gorails) has a great free series for beginners.

I'm planning some new free tutorials for my newsletter subscribers. DM me if you're interested (don't want to spam the forum with my link).

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

App Academy Open is a free online version of their bootcamp and they teach Ruby/Ruby on Rails. That could be a good place to start.