CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Eero Saarinen
Eero Saarinen

Posted on

My Start Coding #CNC2021 Journey

Image of the current state of my project.

Who am I and why I'm here

Hi! My name is Eero, and I come from Finland. Yes that cold and dark northern country. Well, not so dark and cold at the moment, but still...

Why I decided to take part in this challenge? It was to push myself to actually do something, not just thinking of doing it.

Background

For couple of years now I've wanted to change into a career in software engineering, but for a reason or another I've pushed that thought aside.

Now after a more than a year, being mostly cooped up in my flat, I just got bored of what I was doing and decided to start the journey of becoming a software developer. It hasn't been the easiest path, but I have enjoyed it thus far.

Progress

I have made a decent amount of progress, but there is still much to do and much to learn. My project is far from being done, yet I will get there one of these days, it's just a matter of time.

My final project

I wouldn't call it "final", because it's far from being done, but it does have some functionality, shown in the image under the heading. I tried to upload it as a GIF, but for some reason it didn't work.

If someone likes to see my project, and give their comments or advice, the project can be found here:

GitHub logo AivanVarma / Space-Shooter

Space Shooter made with Unity

Sticking to it

The first thing I will do after doing these last bits of Start Coding challenge of #CNC2021, is to register to the Code More challenge.

I did start the Write More challenge before this one, but I just couldn't finish it, because I didn't have anything to write about. So, I will most likely continue on that and find a way to tie it in with the Code More challenge.

Then it's just coding every day, it doesn't matter if it's ten minutes or more, I just have to do it every day and make a routine out of it. That way it is easier to stick to the coding and learning.

Another motivation that I have, is to find a software engineering job, preferably by the end of this year. Sooner if all goes as I hope for! Still, I will keep a realistic approach on this and aim at the end of the year.

Overall Reflections

This challenge has been helpful and motivating. It has made me think why am I doing this, and how to get where I want to be. Essentially this challenge has cleared up the vague dreams and hopes that I had, and turned them into achievable goals.

What's next for me

As said, the aim is to break through into the software development world. To do that, I will continue on with these challenges and keep on learning every day, so that I can meet my end goal of having a job in the field by the end of the year.

Top comments (3)

Collapse

larrymartin1job profile image
Larry Martin

Your journey into software engineering is inspiring. Its amazing to see your dedication and progress. Looking forward to checking out your project.
Electric Services in Miami Florida

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Congrats!!!

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

Thank you!