CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Anthony Nanfito
Anthony Nanfito

Posted on • Originally published at blog.ananfito.dev

How-to: Three Methods for Centering with CSS

Introduction

In web development, knowing how to center things with CSS is an essential skills. Like many things in the programming world there is more than one way to do it. Some ways are better than others, but there’s not always a best way. It often depends on the context of the situation.

In this blog post, I’ll share my three favorite ways for centering elements using CSS. I first learned about these methods from Kevin Powell’s ‘Conquering Responsive Layouts’ course (and in fact, wrote a short blog post in December 2022 about it, but only covered the first method in that post). Here, I’d like to discuss all three methods: margin and max-width, flex, and grid.

I’ll be assuming you have some familiarity with CSS, flex, and grid. Also, for demonstration purposes I’ll be using the example of a blog website with a single-column layout. I will provide snippets of code throughout the post, but if you’d like to see the source code and live example for these methods, you can view the repo here and the live site here.

Method 1: Using margin and max-width

This is probably my favorite way to center elements in CSS. I like it because it’s quick and simple. However, because of its simple approach this also means it’s best used in simple situations. This method works best when you want to center something directly in a vertical column. More complex layouts will require a different or combination of techniques.

If you want to center the body (or any element within its parent container), a quick and easy way to do that is with margin and max-width:

/* METHOD 1: Using margin and max-width */
    .blog-post {
      margin: 0 auto;
      max-width: 600px;
    }
Enter fullscreen mode Exit fullscreen mode

In the margin property, the first value sets the top and bottom margin are set to 0 so that they touch whatever is above and below them. In other words, there’s no gap between the elements but if you wanted to have some space you could set the first value to something other than 0.

The second value, auto, will automatically set the left and right margin to the same amount with whatever space is available. This ensures that the element is centered along the vertical axis of the page.

Then the max-width property ensures that the width of the element does not extend beyond the numerical value. In this case, the maximum width will be 600px but it can be set to whatever value is desired/needed.

It’s not used in this example, but you can also add width: 80% (or whatever percentage you desire) so that the element fills 80% of the available width. This will allow for a little bit of space on the left and right. This is ideal on mobile or tablet devices where you might want a little bit of space between the left and right edges of the content and the edge of the screen.

NOTE: When max-width is used in conjunction with width: 80% the element will fill 80% of the available width up to the maximum width.

If you’d like to see a demonstration of this in action, you can view a live example and the source code.

Method 2: Using flex

Another common method for centering elements is to use flex with justify-content and align-items. Continuing with the same example let’s look at how we would use this to center items within a single-vertical column:

/* Method 2: Using flex */
.blog-post-container {
  display: flex;
  flex-direction: column; /* REMINDER: with `column`, the main axis is horizonal and cross axis is vertical */
    align-items: center; /* `align-items` still affects the cross axis, but with column it works vertically */
}

Here we’ve set the .blog-post-container class to have a display of flex and centered its children elements using align-items. Since the flex-direction is set to column the align-items affects the cross axis which the vertical axis. This is what places the elements within the center of the flex container.

If you’d like to see a demonstration of this in action, you can view a live example and the source code.

Method 3: Using grid

Lastly, we can use grid to center things too. Using our same blog website example, let’s look at how we would do this:

/* Method 3: Using grid */
.blog-post-container {
     display: grid;
 }
.blog-post {
  justify-self: center; /* this places the div in the center of the grid-column */
    max-width: 600px; /* this prevents the div from filling the entire space */
}

Here we have a little bit of a different set up. We have to set the container (in this case .blog-post-container) to use grid while at the same time setting the properties for the blog post itself.

Since we’re only working with a single column layout we don’t need to worry about grid-template-columns or grid-template-rows or grid-template-areas. Instead, we can focus our attention on the .blog-post class.

In this above snippet, we can use the justify-self property to center this class within the grid container. And just like with Method 1 we want to set the max-width property so that the content doesn’t span the entire width of the column or window.

Conclusion

Those are my three favorite techniques for centering elements. These work best within a single-column layout, but can also be used within more complex layouts (if you want to center something within a section).

I mostly lean toward using Method 1, but what’s great about all of these is they don’t take up more than a few lines of code. This makes them great in a pinch when you want to center something quickly without worrying too much about the layout.

If you’re looking to learn more about these techniques and other ways of designing responsive web design, check out the resources listed below. Note, these are NOT affiliate links. These are just the resources I found useful in learning about these concepts. You can also check out the References section for the documentation I referenced in writing this post. Happy coding!

Resources

References

Thanks for reading

Thanks for reading. I hope you found it useful. What are you favorite techniques for centering content with CSS? Let me know in the comments. Hearing your thoughts makes this more of a conversation and helps us both learn. 🚀

Top comments (0)