CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [On-Demand Talk] I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode
Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

[On-Demand Talk] I Think, Therefore I Code: An Introduction to Pseudocode

About this talk

As developers when we encounter a problem sometimes we instinctively open our IDE and start breaking code with the hope that we found a solution. But as juniors developers this can be source of frustration as sometimes we still don't know how to approach those problems. And as seniors it may take longer time and end up in a messier code than it could have been.

What if we could have a tool that allowed us to think our problems and solve them in natural language just to later translate them into our coding language? What if we could do a draft? Well, pseudocode allow us to do just that (and more).

I think therefore I code, is an introduction to pseudocode as an way to start solving problems and writing algorithms. Is a powerful tool that allows any developer to focus, save time and write healthier code.

Talk Recording

Slides

🌈 Comment below and ask me questions β€” I might just answer them during my live speaker discussion!

About me

Hi! I'm Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil β€” a former marketer who found my way to frontend software development and, eventually, iOS mobile software development. In pseudocode, I discovered a way to solve coding problems without a single line of code. My talk is a reminder that we can solve problems and later on, actually code them.

This on-demand talk is part of CodeLand 2022 β€” a virtual conference brought to you by CodeNewbie & DEV on June 16 & 17, 2022.

Top comments (34)

Collapse

mariasilva_dev profile image
Maria Silva

Thank you for this awesome talk Silvia! I am learning Python right now and when it comes to doing the practice projects like making a Blackjack game I get so overwhelmed with the amount of code that I don't know where to start! Pseudocode is such a simple and powerful tool I will definitely start using today! Can you tell us what coding bootcamp you attended?

Collapse

silviaespanagil profile image
Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Hi MarΓ­a,

I hope it helps you so it's a little bit less overwhelming. Yes I went to Adalab's Bootcamp here in Spain

Collapse

devencourt profile image
brian bethencourt

It obviously sounds like pseudocode helped you make the switch from frontend software development to Swift. I am considering signing up for a bootcamp and I already know that I'm really interested in mobile development. Do you have any recommendations for Swift programs or learning resources?

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

YES! It helped me making the switch and also to not lose my mind xD

I honestly don't know any mobile bootcamp, but yes I can share some resources that I used. My first contact with Swift was in the CodeCademy course, it's really good and they have an integrated IDE so you can do the whole course in the website with no problems and then have the solutions you coded in your own github gist.

Then my main resources has been Ray Wenderlich, he has one of the most complete and updated courses, tutorials and information out there for Swift, the courses are project centric, so when you are learning something you are also making something and that's amazing. And also Hacking with Swift who also happen to have a 100 days of Swift and 100 days of SwiftUI that are super.

Collapse

jolenekearse profile image
Jolene Kearse

How did you get the syntax coloring for pseudocode? The color coding really helps me think through the steps.
And, if you are a learner who's been practicing a certain syntax, would you recommend writing the actual code in the pseudocode?

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Hi Jolene,

Loved your question last night in the panel, and I was right xD the tool is called Carbon carbon.now.sh/ you can choose between many languages or even decide your color palette

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

Muchas gracias por este discurso, Silvia! I tend to write my ideas out on paper before I start coding, but I’ll definitely be implementing your guidelines to structure my pseudocode and make it easier to translate into a programming language. Also, your slides were so beautiful!

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Hi Anya,

Team paper first for life! xD I'm so happy and glad you liked it. About the slides, it was canva!

Collapse

rafaelbpires profile image
Rafael B. Pires

Loved the title! haha very interesting talk Silvia. It is true, in the end, it all boils down to problem solving.. the programming language is just the tool. Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Yes, well the first time I heard our job concept as that, as problem solving my mindset changed a lot so I really like to remember that everytime I can. Even the biggest of the problems to solve can me shredded in little ones that we can solve.

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

Hi Silvia, I also worked in marketing before and made a 6-months frontend development bootcamp (but I have 2 cats and no dog next to me) because it just didn't feel right and wasn't my thing. Great to hear somebody who has a comparable story!

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Oh I was sooooo tired of mkt it was a long almost 12 years old journey that I treasure but definitely don't want to repeat πŸ˜‚.

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

For me it's 12 years too, haha! I think I learned a lot of things in this time that are useful now and it's great to have various experiences but I also really don't want to repeat it. Currently I'm a bit stuck because of being overwhelmed but your talk and story gave me some new motivation, thanks!

Collapse

pbandjib profile image
pbandjib

I loved your talk yesterday. I think the way you explained the importance of pseudo code was really helpful. I have to admit that is an area that I need to improve upon. Your talk definitely helped me better understand the importance, especially when learning new languages. Thank you very much for taking the time to speak and share your experiences.

Collapse

bbland1 profile image
bbland1

Do you use pseudo code everytime you code even today? Sometime I jump into coding and I’m wondering should I take a step back and remember to pseudocode first.

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Oh it depends. I would say 70-30 being 70 the times I use it. Some tasks are really repetitive on daily basis so for those I don't but for the rest I do.

Collapse

bbland1 profile image
bbland1

Thank you! That makes sense! I still want to utilize pseudocode more but in the right context! Thank you!

Collapse

carolineschettler profile image
carolineschettler

How did you ultimately decide to make such a dramatic career change? Was there a turning point or specific moment that convinced you?

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Caroline,

Thank you for the question, I loved answering it in the live panel.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Super...dupper excited to hear you!!!πŸ˜‡πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜πŸ˜

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

OMG thank you so much Dulya! See you in a bit!

Collapse

srivera12 profile image
Sarah Rivera

Pseudocode is an important part of problem solving - thank you for the great talk all about it!

Collapse

luiscastillokc profile image
Luis Castillo

Great approach on how to go with Pseudocode Silvia

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Thanks Luis ✨

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

is there more information on how to write better pseudocode structures?

Collapse

Silvia EspaΓ±a Gil

Hi Tim,

About pseudocode structures is good to remember that it does not exist an universal standard The California Polytechnic State University tried to write one (I'm guessing for their students) beyond that I would totally recommend you to do a quick search on Google to find different approaches so you find the one that best suits you.
I would like to share with you this one as it is very complete yet flexible

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

Really nice and concise intro to pseudocode and why it's important! Really makes the coding part easier when you have your pseudocode laid out!

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

THIS is so helpful for my current situation, am I glad you and your talk are part of this years CodeLand. Thank you so much. πŸ™