CodeNewbie Community šŸŒ±

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Get a Job" Mission 1 [pt. II] Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Get a Job" Mission 1 [pt. II] Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 1 [pt. II] email, assess how you're feeling about the job descriptions you chose. Are you pumped to apply? Discouraged? Be gentle with yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help from others you see in the comments! If you follow one another, you can DM šŸ˜Š

šŸš€šŸš€šŸš€

Congrats on challenging yourself to Get a Job! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Get a Job Help Thread. For any technical/career-related questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (15)

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
š•š•¦š•š•šš•’ šŸ‘©šŸ»ā€šŸ’» • Edited

This Mission made me realize, that with the tech stack I know, I do not fit in the companies I would like to work for. I would have to focus in another direction, which I am totally open to it, but not now. For now, I should (and will) focus on Frontend and the tech stack I know and deepen my knowledge to find my first job. When having a job, I think it will be easier to decide how to go further in my developer path: Staying with pure frontend, trying to become fullstack or learning another language and try to change into another direction (e.g. ML)

The job description I am most excited about is (Junior) Frontend Developer at Accenture :)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

I do have some material on machine learning that I like that I could go over with you at some point?
Let me know

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
š•š•¦š•š•šš•’ šŸ‘©šŸ»ā€šŸ’»

Thanks for your offer. For now, I want to focus on Frontend. ;)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

I'm sorry to hear that.

Collapse

thomasgilmore95 profile image
Thomas Gilmore

After looking at different job descriptions I'm excited to apply for jobs. However, the thing I get discouraged with the most when looking at jobs especially the entry level positions or junior developer roles I find that align with my skill set quite well require multiple years of experience.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Congrats, @thomasgilmore95 !
The excitement to apply for jobs itself is already something to celebrate! šŸ˜ƒ

I'm not in the place to give suggestion about finding work yet because I'm still learning.
I sometimes feel discourage as well with the requirements needed in the industry.
I find this article helps answering some of my doubts.
I hope it could help you as well :)

Collapse

thomasgilmore95 profile image
Thomas Gilmore

Thank you, @adiatiayu !

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

Company Name Company Size Location Link to Career Page or Job Board Are there open tech positions? Do I know anyone here?
Spotify multi-national USA or remote yes no
Andela 500-1000 Nigeria yes yes
Flutterwave 100-500 Nigeria yes no
Apple multi-national USA or remote no-idea no
Twitter Nigeria multi-national Ghana or remote yes no

Collapse

joks84 profile image
Jelena

There are few companies where I could be a potential candidate even though I don't have the required years of experience.
What I like about them is the fact they are emphasizing the importance of a team work and giving/receiving help from other team members.
Apparently, they are also more interested in your logic and how you approach problems/solutions, knowing the market etc.

Collapse

luizdmm profile image
Luiz D. M. Mainart

After the mission, I'm encouraged. Iā€™ve noticed that I have a lot of the skills required to be a junior web developer, all I need now is a way to show my skills and a little luck when applying. I feel really pumped to apply.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Love to hear this!!

Collapse

brazillaray profile image
William Whitaker(he/him)

There's one I found that I think I have a pretty good shot at, a couple of others that might be a bit of a stretch, and two places I'd like to work for, but aren't currently hiring. However, both say to get in touch regardless.

If anyone has any advice on approaching companies that aren't hiring, I'd appreciate it!

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

The mission I'm most excited about is the Javascript developer role at Andela.
The role sounds like a good fit for me with the experience I have in Javascript and will expose me to real world and production usage of these skills. Brushing up my cv to apply

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Good luck, @iyanushow ! šŸ˜€

Collapse

meeshellmartini profile image
Michelle M.

I've been trying to find a new job and even though I'm already in the industry with the experience, I don't qualify for a lot of the jobs I really want. I'm frustrated that I've let time go by and didn't put in the time to learn more. For the moment, I will continue to work in Front End but will focus on becoming a full-stack.